Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sleep monitoring with garmin
Quote | Reply
So I'm interested in hearing how many people wear their Garmin to sleep and what the results are. Mainly how much deep sleep is one getting. Often I'll think I slept a solid 7.5-8 hours only to look and see that I had 1:40 min of deep sleep. i know I toss and turn as my wife and I have separate blankets bc I'm notorious for throwing it off or stealing at as I turn around so much. I'll be zwifting for the next 3.5 hours so let's hear some responses!
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep monitoring with garmin [ezel04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The main reason I bought my Garmin over a Fitbit et al was for the sleep metrics.
I find the Garmin to be pretty accurate based on time wakened during the night and sense of tiredness during the day. Glad I bought it, but then I'm a data geek :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never take my 920 off except for charging. I find the sleep metrics to be interesting, although like you said any motion or toss and turn is considered light vs deep sleep. I like to look at the 7 day average more, and can tell how I feel if I need to seep in or catch a quick nap if I'm feeling fatigued. The garmin insights always crack me up...it recently told me I was sleeping less than 80% of people my age. If it only knew that training and work plus keeping life going in general means you have to cut time from somewhere!
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep monitoring with garmin [Tigertater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what are you seeing as Avg deep sleep? I have had a 735 for one week now (the 920 was to big and could not sleep with it) and was actually surprised i avg close to 8 hrs a night (includes sleeping on the couch before i make it to bed i guess) with 1:52 in deep sleep.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep monitoring with garmin [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct bbloehr got my question. What are people seeing as their deep sleep. Does anyone know how much deep sleep we should get?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what's good. I'm usually split pretty close...that being said it's often more light than deep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a solid sleep!! I feel like I'm 1/4 to maybe 1/3 deep. Which sucks.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thats impressive!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore my 920 to bed once. It was a pain, kept getting snagged on the sheets, my wife, etc. Real pain.

Work gave me a Fitbit this year, much better for sleep tracking. I never used it much for sleep tracking until the baby came. Now it is great to see how much I was awake feeding her and whatnot. Also good for silent alarms to sneak out for early morning training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my 235 and perhaps my favorite functionality is the sleep tracking. I average just under 6 hours per night with between 3-4 hours most nights of deep sleep. Last night was 5:44 with 4:05 of deep sleep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the sleep tracking and resting HR tracking I discovered in my 735XT. I have an Apple Watch that is my daily wear, and I don't love swapping or wearing the 735XT at night. So, I am probably going to buy either a Garmin tracker or a Fitbit for sleep tracking and resting HR. The AW totally sucks at those two features.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Fitbit surge. Sleep data isn't as deep as the Garmin, but it does track total sleep, how many times and how much time you were restless /awake, and resting HR (which seems to be averaged or smoothed in some way as I can always get it lower than the figure it produces but it does seem consistent).

I love the above and have found it incredibly useful. I average about 7 and a half hours of sleep and really notice that my training, productivity and mood suffer if I go more than a few nights below this level. Feel like I can actually quantify the impact of poor sleep better than ever before. Resting HR is also great at telling me when I'm either not recovering enough or am coming down with a cold. Things like alcohol and eating close to bedtime have a big impact on resting HR and sleep quality. I also have a Garmin Edge 1000 and find the resting HR from Fitbit correlates very well with the Recovery Advisor.

The great thing is that having this data has actually helped me to change my behavior for the better. I can honestly say that I'm sleeping and recovering better than I have in a long time, and getting significant fitness improvements from the same training volume as a result.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep monitoring with garmin [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My deep sleep percentage correlates well with daytime tiredness. For ex, last night I had 9 hrs sleep (a LOT for me) with 5.45hrs in deep sleep. I wish every night was like that. I suffer when my deep sleep is less than half my overall sleep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ezel04 wrote:
So I'm interested in hearing how many people wear their Garmin to sleep and what the results are. Mainly how much deep sleep is one getting. Often I'll think I slept a solid 7.5-8 hours only to look and see that I had 1:40 min of deep sleep. i know I toss and turn as my wife and I have separate blankets bc I'm notorious for throwing it off or stealing at as I turn around so much. I'll be zwifting for the next 3.5 hours so let's hear some responses!
Thanks!

Me too. 8 hours, waking to feel refreshed and both my 920 and vivofit have reported deep sleep of only 1 - 2 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep monitoring with garmin [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it possible to auto import garmin Sleep to trainingpeaks?
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep monitoring with garmin [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
ezel04 wrote:
Thanks!

Me too. 8 hours, waking to feel refreshed and both my 920 and vivofit have reported deep sleep of only 1 - 2 hours.

Welcome to the club of "lack of deep sleep" FML

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My deep sleep metrics sound like they're about the same as yours. I definitely toss and turn at night but even when I get what feels like a good nights sleep I look on Garmin and see something like 2 hours of deep sleep. When I see a deep sleep time of something over 2 1/2 hours I'm pretty ecstatic.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep monitoring with garmin [fletcherandrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Made my wife wear the Garmin last night. Of 6:55 min of sleep she got 3:04 min of deep sleep. Needless to say I was extremely jealous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm about a 1:2 ratio for my deep sleep to light sleep. Last night I got 6:55 hours, 2:32 deep, 4:14 light and :09 awake.

In general that's how it is for me, sometimes a bit more deep sleep but not often.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep monitoring with garmin [Kanonjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kanonjon wrote:
Is it possible to auto import garmin Sleep to trainingpeaks?

if you figure it out let me know

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have slept in my Garmin for the past 2 years. I had a 920 until this past April, and it consistently said I was getting ~2 hours of deep sleep out of approx 7-8 hours total. I got a Fenix for my birthday, and that has consistently shown closer to 3-4 hours of deep sleep. I noticed a difference instantly, so I *think* that the movement sensors may be more sensitive in the 920. This is further supported by the fact that the 920 would show nights "awake time" where I got out of bed to check on my crying preschooler, and the Fenix rarely shows "awake" time.

I can't say there is a difference for sure, though, since right around the time I got the new Fenix: (1) I got a new mattress (and have been sleeping so much better) and (2) my husband took a contract job where he is away most of the time, so i'm sleeping alone (and again, sleeping better since I can sprawl across the entire bed).

Based on being able to see the difference between devices, I think sleep metrics aren't all that reliable and I wouldn't put much stock in them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd always considered myself to be a very deep sleeper, as I've always tended to sleep through things like severe thunderstorms and earthquakes that wake up almost everyone else during the night, so when I started wearing my Fenix 3 HR throughout the night I was shocked to see that I usually only get 20-40 minutes of deep sleep per night, and it's almost always right after I first fall asleep. Typically when my alarm goes off in the morning I don't remember anything that happened since I lay my head down on the pillow and closed my eyes the night before, but according to Garmin, for around 90% of the night I am in a light sleep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the Vivoactive HR and wear it at night. My last 7 days show about 5 hrs deep sleep and 3 light and those days include Ironman Wisconsin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hijack, but this thread is timely. I was going to start tracking my sleep closer with my Fenix 3. I remember a few firmware versions ago you get tell it when you were going to sleep. Now I can't seem to find that. I know it has auto sleep detect, but that seems to be activated when I'm laying still reading in bed and not actually sleeping. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep monitoring with garmin [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Settings > Activity Tracking > Go to Sleep

I usually just edit my sleep and wake time in the Connect App. I charge my watch in the morning while taking a shower and it always thinks I am sleeping.
Quote Reply

Prev Next