Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Skinny Jeans and Triathletes
Quote | Reply
So my wife and kids(teenagers) keep trying to convince me to become more "hip" and lose the loose fitting comfortable Levis. Taking aside the fact that I don't care for the skinny jeans "look", my problem is my legs are too muscular to fit into those skinny jeans. Anyone else have this problem ? I tend to think most people wearing those skinny jeans have stick legs with not much muscle build.

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."
Quote Reply
Re: Skinny Jeans and Triathletes [HBB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never thought I'd see this thread on ST but yes, those kind of pants don't work for me either. I have problems getting them even past my calves (which are not THAT big). Normal jeans are tight enough for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thankfully mrsmck414 has never tried to get me to wear skinny jeans, but I am in the same boat. My favorite jeans are Levi 505, but to get my thighs into them comfortably means the waist is too big, so I generally go for the 550.

The funny part is I am skinny, I would never consider myself as having overly muscular legs.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Levis 511s are my goto jeans. Not skinny, but slim fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My kids need to be able to breathe. I don't need my voice going up an octave everytime I get dressed in the morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The loose jeans from the 90s are really not cool.
Forget the skinny pants, only starved models can fit those. But slim fit you should be able to do. With a slight taper in the leg. The opening should not envelope your shoes and create a bunching at your ankles. Straight leg is fine, but still often too wide. Slim or regular fit with taper. Try the Gap 1969 line.

Don't do super light wash and don't do that middle wash either, you know, that very very blue dad jeans colour.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skinny jeans look terrible on everybody.
some fashion trends that pass through the earth are just bad.
80 hairs and shoulder pads for women, just bad.
white belts on men, bad.

short skirts on women, good.

skinny jeans on anybody, bad.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Skinny Jeans and Triathletes [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:
Forget the skinny pants, only starved models can fit those. But slim fit you should be able to do. With a slight taper in the leg. The opening should not envelope your shoes and create a bunching at your ankles. Straight leg is fine, but still often too wide. Slim or regular fit with taper. Try the Gap 1969 line.

Don't do super light wash and don't do that middle wash either, you know, that very very blue dad jeans colour.

I'm a fan of the GAP 1969 line. I also have a few GAp slim fit chinos that I wear almost daily to work. Most comfortable pants i've ever owned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stay away from skinny jeans. go slim fit.

Levi's 514s are a very good starting point. You might even be able to go with the 513s, they have a very slight taper at the bottom of the leg.
Quote Reply
Re: Skinny Jeans and Triathletes [Tcorr44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live the 511's too but the 514's seem to fit better. I have bigger quads and look ridiculous in tighter jeans. 514's seem to do the trick though.

http://us.levi.com/...p?categoryId=3691994

Superfly Coaching
http://www.superflycoaching.com/eric

IL PIRATA VI GUARDA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too muscular? If you're the size of Chris Hoy then you're screwed and just wear whatever allows the blood to flow back up from your feet to your lungs (stretchy pants with a denim design on it?). I have had a couple pairs of tight pants that I don't wear because when I put my phone in the pocket you can see the entire outline, doesn't leave much to the imagination. When you go to try them on, take your phone, keys, and a wallet with lots of receipts/cash in it and make sure you can walk without puncturing an artery.
Last edited by: dado0583: Mar 3, 15 6:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I can't fathom how anyone rides their fixie in skinny jeans.
Quote Reply
Re: Skinny Jeans and Triathletes [TashaSkippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TashaSkippy wrote:
stay away from skinny jeans. go slim fit.

Levi's 514s are a very good starting point. You might even be able to go with the 513s, they have a very slight taper at the bottom of the leg.

This. I buy both 514 and 513s. They fit about as well as I can expect. They are still tight on my quads, but I have gotten used to the fact that any pants that fit my waist and leg length are going to be designed for the thin type of guy with skinny legs.

Trouble is as far as I know they don't make the sizes I need to fit my waist (Levis I buy a 29" or 28" x 30" inseam) in the styles that would otherwise fit my quads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:

My wife and daughter have been lecturing me of late about the color of my jeans. Apparently they need to be dark now and I am too much of a Dad. I have no idea what jeans I should wear as I hate shopping and have gone from a 42" waist to a 34" (with a bit of gut still, but I'm working on that). As a formerly obese person I have problems with calf and quad size... it's funny trying on some of the jeans my wife buys me, though fortunately she's not crazy enough to even bring skinny jeans in the door.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You and I both know you're never going to give up your Levi's. I wouldn't.
Quote Reply
Re: Skinny Jeans and Triathletes [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've become a big fan of the Lucky 361 jeans. They're narrow enough to look contemporary, but still comfortable through the seat and thighs. They get bonus points for having a bit of stretch.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, colour makes a world of a difference.

Black, dark wash, light or dark grey. Only some mid blues are good. Do not go light wash unless you spike your hair and drive a tricked out Civic.
No fake rips or fades, stains or paint splats either.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also cheap, which tends to put a damper on what I buy. I'd much rather put the money towards tri accessories than a pair of jeans. Plus, I tend to ruin them at work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had to chuckle at this thread...

Wife has had the same talk with me...she wants me to get more with the times. She hates my 550s, which I still have from highschool, and still fit in. They're comfy. She bought me a pair of skinnies and I've worn them a few times, but just really don't care for the look or feel...I don't think I'll wear them again. She justified them saying they're tight, like cycling shorts...I told her i want jeans that don't make me feel metro...

what next, wax and shape eyebrows?

I hate fashion.
Quote Reply
Re: Skinny Jeans and Triathletes [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Per all my college students: men should never wear skinny jeans or baggy jeans. Crew neck t shirts also out. They must be v neck.

Quote | Reply
HBB wrote:
So my wife and kids(teenagers) keep trying to convince me to become more "hip" and lose the loose fitting comfortable Levis. Taking aside the fact that I don't care for the skinny jeans "look", my problem is my legs are too muscular to fit into those skinny jeans. Anyone else have this problem ? I tend to think most people wearing those skinny jeans have stick legs with not much muscle build.

Who cares what they think. Go comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Denizen jeans at Target...

You can get them for $22 regularly and it is not uncommon to find them for $10-14 on sale.

Modern fits and colors.

They don't look like dad jeans and don't break the bank.

Not skinny jeans (although they may have that fit as well) but a more modern style on the cheap. They seem to be durable enough.

(Where's that thread-maybe Lavender room-where someone was advising people to buy $200-300 jeans. I laughed pretty hard at that. Like the Macklemore song, "$50 for a T-shirt....that's what I call getting swindled by a....")

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:

You read my mind.

Quote Reply
Re: Skinny Jeans and Triathletes [mstyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mstyer wrote:
I've become a big fan of the Lucky 361 jeans. They're narrow enough to look contemporary, but still comfortable through the seat and thighs. They get bonus points for having a bit of stretch.

I have one pair of jeans, haven't worn them in a while, think the are Levi and they look/fit pretty much like that (maybe hair more thigh room). I heard a rumor about a year ago that they slimmed up the thighs. I need new jeans since I am down on size a bit but don't want to shop only to find out they no longer fit how I like.

Really never wear jeans though i hate fitting stuff in the pockets on them. Been wearing some 5.11 tactical pants all winter and I wear cargo shorts all summer, plenty of room in both for thighs especially the 5.11 pants since they are meant to be worn while active. They need to do a jean in their concealed cargo design :)

Sears/craftsmen made amazing Dickies knock off khakis that repelled everything and had generous thighs for moving since they were essentially mechanics pants but in khaki. Loved them most people had no clue at all they were technically work pants when I told them, but they no longer make the khaki and I hate the Dickies color choices.
Quote Reply
Re: Skinny Jeans and Triathletes [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
Per all my college students: men should never wear skinny jeans or baggy jeans. Crew neck t shirts also out. They must be v neck.

Like shaving your head generally works for someone who is ripped (fit or huge) or someone who is fat.

v necks work if you are ripped (huge) or you are the 100% complete opposite.

I can't stand V-necks
Quote Reply

Prev Next