Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Size 49-51 bike shoes?
Quote | Reply
So I've decided to stop being a noob and actually try clipless pedals. I only ride one bike, a road bike I use for transportation as well as spirited riding. So I'll be using the platform/spd double sided A530 pedal from Shimano. It's possible I'll be buying a 2nd bike in the near future. If so, one bike will have clipless pedals full time.

Looking at my running shoes, I need to be looking at 49.5 to 50 2/3 in bike sizes. Not a single LBS stocks anything this big. I have trouble finding anywhere online that sells them, either.

Any advice? Wide toebox is a plus.
Quote Reply
Re: Size 49-51 bike shoes? [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had a guy who was 6'5" and size 15 feet which I think is about a 50. He finally went with Bont A3's. If I recall big toe box, and he really loved them. IIRC one of the only brands that he found would fit.

I think you would have to try them though as I have heard that bont sizing may be a bit different.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear a 15 and have good luck with lake tri shoes. Also use cheap ones from an online store. They work well and were $45.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm size 14 in most regular shoes. I have size 50 Giro Mele Tri shoes, and would highly recommend them. I previously had tried the Sidi Genius, also size 50, and had to send them back as the cupped shape of the outsole led to lots of hotspots. The Giro Mele's have a flatter and narrower outsole, meaning more softer leather and thus making them feel wider; I don't get the hotspot issues anymore. The toe box feels nice and comfy too, being restricted never crosses my mind.

I've only found the Mele's online at full price (~$200), and at size 50 they only come in the white model, but I find these are reasonable trade-off's considering how ridiculously hard it is to find footwear that fits. I will definitely be buying another pair of Mele's when my current ones wear out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run in mainly Saucony and a few Nike models. A Nike US15 can sometimes be a little tight. A Saucony U.S. 15 is good (Kinvaras, Virratas, ISO fit). I fit a Vivobarefoot EU50, and favour a wider toe box.

I've worn Specialized in a 49, which were normal width and a little narrow. They do a wide fit, which could have been really good. I currently use Bont Vaypor+ in an EU50, and it's very comfortable. The Specialized was a lot less aggressive under the instep. The Bont feels really funky when you're mooching about pre ride, but as soon as I'm on the bike it disappears and my knees seem to have less niggles than before.

I haven't tried the Lakes, but they've got a really nice road shoe that I'd like to try. I'll probably pick a Bont Riot TR this month.

Good luck - I know it's not easy when each shoe needs to be floated across the ocean from the Far Eastern factory!
Quote Reply