Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sinus Infection, Train Through It?
Quote | Reply
I literally never get sick. I think I may have sucked in some low quality water on my Friday ows.

My A race is 18 days away...after a long brick workout Saturday I felt overly fatigued and woke up the next day with a cough and huge sinus pain along with some body aches. I ended up napping throughout the day and I never do that. I still feel fatigued and haven't exercised since my brick Saturday morning and it's Tuesday morning. I am pretty much an everyday morning and evening workout guy.

I am seeing the Dr. this morning and I a sure he'll tell me to lay low...should I toughen up and press on with training? Train with an antibiotic? Never had this issue before...and I am not a person that does better with a lower volume tapper...
Quote Reply
Re: Sinus Infection, Train Through It? [Nhmountainman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience has always been rest + hydration = feeling better quicker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was me 3 weeks ago after July 4th. Too much training mixed with all day beach/pool and partying. I averaged 4-5 hrs sleep per night over 4 days which equaled getting knocked down hard with a mixture of sinus and strep throat and 3 days of temperatures over 101. During which I'd load up on Advil to go to work and managed a few 3/4 mile runs and a 2 masters practices thinking I could sweat out the germs. However, these short workouts seemed like long ones. I eventually had to quit and go see my doc to get meds. According to WebMD I literally had less than 24hrs to live. After about 3 days of anti's I was feeling normal again and could resume my normal schedule. The worst part was not eating or drinking anything for 72 hrs due to strep. I'd recommend early treatment and drink tons of water and getting as much sleep as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many sinus infections are not bacterial in nature and do not require antibiotics, but that is for your doctor to decide. I would rest, hydrate and do some EASY rides on the trainer. I have raced a few days after being on antibiotics for a sinus infection. If it is bacterial you should start to feel better pretty quickly after being on antibiotics. Just as a precautionary note, some people do not tolerate antibiotics well as it can upset your gastrointestinal system. Eating yogurt can sometimes help with that. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nhmountainman wrote:
I literally never get sick. I think I may have sucked in some low quality water on my Friday ows.

My A race is 18 days away...after a long brick workout Saturday I felt overly fatigued and woke up the next day with a cough and huge sinus pain along with some body aches. I ended up napping throughout the day and I never do that. I still feel fatigued and haven't exercised since my brick Saturday morning and it's Tuesday morning. I am pretty much an everyday morning and evening workout guy.

I am seeing the Dr. this morning and I a sure he'll tell me to lay low...should I toughen up and press on with training? Train with an antibiotic? Never had this issue before...and I am not a person that does better with a lower volume tapper...

Came up with my third(!) sinus infection since April last week. Went to the doctor on Saturday. I've been resting since Wednesday and I feel better today, not 100% though. My advice, for what it's worth, is to rest until the aches are gone and congestion has diminished. Otherwise it may come roaring back.

My triathlon training blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was here a few months back. I training through, never got better and ended up taking a z-pak to get it out of my system. I did this because I had a race coming up. The race ended up landing about a week after the z-pak finished and it was not a fun experience and something I would never do again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard an old adage that if sick from neck up ok to train, if sick below the neck rest.

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Re: Sinus Infection, Train Through It? [K-DUB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys. Dr. says based on my inspection...no antibiotics. Says no fluid in my ears (even though one hurts), lungs sound ok, little inflammation in my neck, but that I just have a bad head cold and would not prescribe anything. Guess I am not used to having a head cold and I should toughen up! I still feel weak, weak enough to not feel good about a solid run...I think I'll do a light trainer ride and see how I feel and keep the fluids going along with getting more sleep. The feedback from everyone is appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Sinus Infection, Train Through It? [Grahamsc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I averaged 4-5 hrs sleep per night over 4 days which equaled getting knocked down hard with a mixture of sinus and strep throat and 3 days of temperatures over 101. During which I'd load up on Advil to go to work and managed a few 3/4 mile runs and a 2 masters practices thinking I could sweat out the germs.

If you have a fever, raising your body temp more through exercise isn't the best idea.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd swim; gets boogers out!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like me right now. I am about 4 weeks in and really tired of it. I never get sick but have just been crushed by sinus infection. Started over July 4 weekend and after a few days, I felt better but it came roaring back a few days later. All I can do to get through the work day. After 7 days of no workouts, I am back to trying to to do some light stuff. I can barely run 45 minutes and have an olympic race this weekend. Hoping for the best.
Quote Reply