Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Silverman and heat- anyone race with a chill towel?
Quote | Reply
Silverman looking to be an oven (95, feels like 99). As a larger racer and resident of so cal heat is my nemesis. Add to that it's the last Tri of a long year and I am finding it hard to give a shit, frankly. So just trying to get through it and have some fun, if possible. I spectated worlds a couple years ago when it was this hot and frankly it looked miserable.

Anyone ever use one of those chill towels in a race? Thinking about puttin one in my run bag.
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman and heat- anyone race with a chill towel? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found this helpful.

I carry a water bottle and fill it with ice at the aid stations. I'm guessing this year by the time I get there it will be all melted though.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman and heat- anyone race with a chill towel? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it is as hot as expected, I will use a cooling collar. Used one at Vineman 70.3 and loved. Finding one that stays put and is comfortable is the trick. Run only.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought one of those cooling towels by Mission for Silverman. I've heard a lot of people have been using them on the run. I hate carrying stuff on the run but I'm gonna see if I can loop it around my race belt. If it doesn't work out I can always chuck it and am only out $15. Worth the try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I've done to cool me down (and I tend to run hot and sweat a lot) is to grab ice at every aid station, put some in my hat, some down my tri top, and hold some in each palm as you run. Repeat as necessary. I have one of those chill bands inside a running cap, and I don't find it works enough for me to notice a difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman and heat- anyone race with a chill towel? [drp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, just ordered one (well, actually 4, to give to my wife and friends out there too). Also going to give de soto's long sleeve shirt a try
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my setup from two weeks ago doing an HIM in South FL.

Bandana around the neck... dip in ice water at aid stations.
A couple of sponges and put them in your suit - dump ice and water in your suit at aid stations
Arm coolers - keep them wet

ChrisM wrote:
Silverman looking to be an oven (95, feels like 99). As a larger racer and resident of so cal heat is my nemesis. Add to that it's the last Tri of a long year and I am finding it hard to give a shit, frankly. So just trying to get through it and have some fun, if possible. I spectated worlds a couple years ago when it was this hot and frankly it looked miserable.

Anyone ever use one of those chill towels in a race? Thinking about puttin one in my run bag.
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman and heat- anyone race with a chill towel? [drp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drp wrote:
I just bought one of those cooling towels by Mission for Silverman. I've heard a lot of people have been using them on the run. I hate carrying stuff on the run but I'm gonna see if I can loop it around my race belt. If it doesn't work out I can always chuck it and am only out $15. Worth the try.

Just be careful not to get a littering penalty!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Each time I see a thread titled silverman I hope that they restore the full distance...each time I'm disappointed.
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman and heat- anyone race with a chill towel? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Each time I see a thread titled silverman I hope that they restore the full distance...each time I'm disappointed.

That's what I was thinking too. In any case, I will be there this Sunday and just happy to do a half IM there. The venue really is spectacular (for the swim and bike....run in a suburb in Henderson, that that exciting, but it's OK) and the venue is what draws me there.
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman and heat- anyone race with a chill towel? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:

Well, at least the RD is back, and the swim is back where god intended it to be :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peppermint oil.

Put a couple drops on a damp towel and rub on your neck. It will cool your skin and make you smell good too

http://www.amazon.com/...ential/dp/B002RUH3OM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Francois wrote:

Well, at least the RD is back, and the swim is back where god intended it to be :)

x2

I'm just really glad I got to do it with the old run venue 1 lap for the half 2 laps for the full and it went through the district between the shops next to Green Valley Ranch.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a Frogg Toggs cooling towel for a hot race I did a few years ago, placed it under my tri top over my shoulders and just poured water on it from time to time to keep it cooling. I used it for the bike and the run in a 70.3 event and it helped keep my reasonably cool until it started raining late in the run when I took it off and just draped it around my neck until the end of the race.

It worked well enough that I would use it again for a particularly hot race.
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman and heat- anyone race with a chill towel? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I've done to cool me down (and I tend to run hot and sweat a lot) is to grab ice at every aid station, put some in my hat, some down my tri top, and hold some in each palm as you run. Repeat as necessary.
--------
This is what I do too. At St George I had them poor ice water on my back too.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
------------
I'm with you on this Chris but I'm hoping to get excited once I get there.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Silverman and heat- anyone race with a chill towel? [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like an idiot packing a wetsuit.
Oh well, good protection for the bike in it's case :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman and heat- anyone race with a chill towel? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like an idiot packing a wetsuit.
Oh well, good protection for the bike in it's case :-)
------
I'll take my DeSoto speed tubes and vest. I can swim in this combo if water temps are in the high 60's to low 70 but don't think it's going to happen.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Silverman and heat- anyone race with a chill towel? [fstanbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fstanbury wrote:
Peppermint oil.

Put a couple drops on a damp towel and rub on your neck. It will cool your skin and make you smell good too

http://www.amazon.com/...ential/dp/B002RUH3OM

I picked up a single-use "refreshing towel" that had smelling salts in it. I used it in T2 to give myself a little boost before the run at tremblant. Certainly didn't hurt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ice under the tongue and in both hands during the run Chris you will be fine...
Seriously

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman and heat- anyone race with a chill towel? [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This.
gymrat wrote:
Ice under the tongue and in both hands during the run Chris you will be fine...
Seriously

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear a hat and dump some ice in it. You would be surprised how long it takes to melt. It feels like magic trickling down your neck and back.

If I'm coming in hot off the bike, every aid station I hit I put ice in the hat, down the top, down the shorts (yowza!), and in your hands. Brings temps back in line in a hurry.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Thanks, just ordered one (well, actually 4, to give to my wife and friends out there too). Also going to give de soto's long sleeve shirt a try

I couldn't recommend De Soto cooling gear more highly. Seems like everyone racing long course here in SE Asia is rocking it and for good reason. If there's any wind at all (meaning I'm moving forward on the bike!) I actually get chills in it.

Have fun Chris :) I miss you. Sounds like a good race to just enjoy, from where you're at in your season/efforts.

Yanti Ardie of Y Tri Multisport & Majick Juice for lasting critter defense & skin soothing
~ World Open Water Swimming Association Coach & Official
~ IRONMAN Certified Coach (Founding Member)
~ Triathlon Australia Professional Development Coach
~ 3 by the Sea: my Journey from death to ...
Quote Reply