Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Silca Hiro Owners
Quote | Reply
I just purchased a Silca Hiro, It seems to be too large for the opening on a Zipp Disc. Do any owners out there have pictures of theirs or give a newbie advice on what I might be doing wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: Silca Hiro Owners [lestoad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am interested in the replies.....bought one and have never been able to use it.
Quote Reply
Re: Silca Hiro Owners [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the best I can tell, you will somehow need short 20-30mm valve tubes. I run latex tubes so I don't know of any under 50mm. It's a tight fit but I have it working somewhat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to return mine. Would not work in my older Zipp disc wheel.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I have a Zipp Super 9 disc and was considering buying the Silca Hiro. Can you post a picture of it not working?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Silca Hiro Owners [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will try to take a picture once the air releases a bit from the tubes and I can get it off the valve haha. I'll try to post one tomorrow. Like I said it might fit if you have short valve stems but I don't know of any brands of latex tubes that have short stems.

I was hoping Nick from Tririg might see this and comment since he reviewed it for his site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will it work with the 37mm Zipp butyl tubes? That's what I have in my disc currently. Yes, I know latex is better haha

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lestoad wrote:
I was hoping Nick from Tririg might see this and comment since he reviewed it for his site.
Sure thing. I didn't have a Zipp disc at the time of review. As others have mentioned, valve length is going to be important. If you don't have different valve length options, then you're probably stuck using the standard adapter.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Silca Hiro Owners [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nick. Always enjoy your reviews which is why I even considered purchasing a Hiro.

While I have your attention though, 1 hand operation is difficult with my standard adapter, do you have any suggestions of your favorites for disc and have clearance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick are you sure about this? The Hiro has an adjustable gasket, so it should fit any presta valve? I found I had to dial mine in a little bit, but it is definitely flawless in operation for me now and I wouldn't imagine going back. I use a Flo disc, but I don't see how that would make a difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
lestoad wrote:

Sure thing. I didn't have a Zipp disc at the time of review. As others have mentioned, valve length is going to be important. If you don't have different valve length options, then you're probably stuck using the standard adapter.

I worked with them directly before I sent mine back. I thought they told me they would update their website to say older Zipps are not supported. And I have even made my cut out larger, still would not work. Was an amazing quality.
My zipp is like 2007

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Silca Hiro Owners [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Zipp Super 9 and the cutout just isn't large enough to get it off the valve. It works and it seals but i just cant get it out once the tube is up to pressure. Pretty disappointed, its a bit ironic too if you ask me.
Quote Reply
Re: Silca Hiro Owners [willhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your flo is just a fairing over a rim so you dont have a solid core correct? this would allow you a little more room to replace it. Plus from what it looks like in pictures the cutout on a flo is pretty large.
Quote Reply
Re: Silca Hiro Owners [willhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lestoad wrote:
Thanks Nick. Always enjoy your reviews which is why I even considered purchasing a Hiro.

While I have your attention though, 1 hand operation is difficult with my standard adapter, do you have any suggestions of your favorites for disc and have clearance?
The small black Silca works very well. Just install it right: unload the valve (by unscrewing the preload faceplate a half turn or so), push onto the gasket, and reload the valve (screw the faceplate back on half a turn). If you're installing correctly, but the adapter still blows off the valve or leaks, you might need to replace the gasket. Those are available from Silca.

willhs wrote:
Nick are you sure about this? The Hiro has an adjustable gasket, so it should fit any presta valve? I found I had to dial mine in a little bit, but it is definitely flawless in operation for me now and I wouldn't imagine going back. I use a Flo disc, but I don't see how that would make a difference.
The valve type doesn't make a difference, it's the valve length as mentioned. This is because a longer valve might not leave very much clearance between its tip and the end of the disc's cutout. The Hiro has a significantly longer head than the standard adapter, so that amount of space is important.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Zipp Super 9 and a Hiro and I have used it multiple times without any issue. It is a bit tight but you just need to bend the valve a bit to put it on and pull it off. I have used the Zipp butyl and the Bontrager latex with no issue just a bit tight. Just take your time and a little bit of patience and you should be able to get it to work.
Quote Reply
Re: Silca Hiro Owners [jsosinski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I contacted Silca about this issue. They have redesigned the Hiro to fit discs with smaller openings. It should be out in a couple of weeks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Hate the Hiro. Just found it to be finicky and temperamental. As suggested by the Silca site I took the time to take it apart, put it back together, and fully understand it. I think I do understand it. But I just don't like it. Always felt there was drama with using it, and excess friction. I pretty much gave it away.

For discs I prefer the wonderful Silca adapter. For everything else I prefer the cheap-o Giant head, even though I can't admire it's "finish" or "craftsmanship." But you can use it at 4:30AM in the dark and it will work 100% of the time with no drama. Which is what a head should do.
Quote Reply
Re: Silca Hiro Owners [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd at least recommend trying the Silca 17-4 Presta Head for non disc use. It's really just phenomenal. I have no stake in Silca, just really love the stuff.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lestoad wrote:
From the best I can tell, you will somehow need short 20-30mm valve tubes. I run latex tubes so I don't know of any under 50mm. It's a tight fit but I have it working somewhat.

Vredestein makes short valve latex tubes. You can buy them on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/...;hash=item2c96d4e4d4

You need the 42mm valve version. Works just fine with a Super9 carbon clincher disc & original Hiro. This is what I use.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: Jul 26, 15 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: Silca Hiro Owners [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Rappstar. And everyone for the tips and suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lestoad wrote:
Plus from what it looks like in pictures the cutout on a flo is pretty large.

It is! We made it that way so it works with most pumps :)

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Silca Hiro version 2 is available and will work with Zipp discs

http://silca.cc/...locking-presta-chuck

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting it looks like version 1 is gone. Maybe I will try again. Would be nice to be able to inflate without having to have the wife help.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I contacted Silca about this issue. They have redesigned the Hiro to fit discs with smaller openings. It should be out in a couple of weeks

Is there a retrofit for the original?
Quote Reply
Re: Silca Hiro Owners [codygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. The Version 2 was designed to be smaller to fit inside the Zipp disc

Quote Reply

Prev Next