Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Signing up for Ironman Florida
Quote | Reply
I have been trying to sign up for IRONMAN Florida for over two years but each year registration fills up and I'm out of luck.
What's the best advice from the pros to overcome this obstacle. I have heard from some people that I should volunteer. Is that true?
Thank you fellow athletes for your words of wisdom

You can't buy happiness but you can buy a bike and that's pretty close.

------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
Quote Reply
Re: Signing up for Ironman Florida [Kocua495] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there last year, the line to volunteer was 4x longer than the line to sign up. I could have walked up and registered for the race at 9:30am if I wanted to.

Last year doesn't mean this year will be the same, ymmv

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you volunteer you can sign up the day after the race before it opens to the public. If you really want to do it thats the best option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, volunteering is the most certain way to get in.

I'm not sure if they will keep doing it, but last year they packaged both Agusta 70.3 and IMFL, and there's time to register online. Not sure how long till the package sold out, but I'm assuming weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went last year and volunteered as well, but if you just waited a couple hours you can walk right up and sign up when they open it onsite to the public. It'll be interesting to see if and how removing the pros from the race affects the quick sell out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watch Facebook, I got in before registration opened on the Florida/Augusta combo
Quote Reply
Re: Signing up for Ironman Florida [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm starting to think the days of instant sell outs might be gone. I was seriously worried about sitting in line for hours to get a spot for Boulder this year. I figured this race would be wildly popular and only volunteers would get a spot. Showed up at 7:00 am and thought I was in the wrong place. Only about 20 people were there. Almost two weeks later and the race is still open. FL is probably going to be different, but I bet it stays open long enough to go online this year for more than a few minutes. Have to see what happens at IMWI this year also, might be a good gauge of FL.
Quote Reply
Re: Signing up for Ironman Florida [mndiver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mndiver wrote:
I'm starting to think the days of instant sell outs might be gone. I was seriously worried about sitting in line for hours to get a spot for Boulder this year. I figured this race would be wildly popular and only volunteers would get a spot. Showed up at 7:00 am and thought I was in the wrong place. Only about 20 people were there. Almost two weeks later and the race is still open. FL is probably going to be different, but I bet it stays open long enough to go online this year for more than a few minutes. Have to see what happens at IMWI this year also, might be a good gauge of FL.

It's odd because I know that general registration was closed and sold out less than a week after opening, but you're right, it's open once again.
Quote Reply
Re: Signing up for Ironman Florida [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan0721 wrote:
mndiver wrote:

It's odd because I know that general registration was closed and sold out less than a week after opening, but you're right, it's open once again.

Are you talking about Boulder? I don't recall any discussion about it being sold out. You might be thinking of Lake Placid, which is now Foundation slots only.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Signing up for Ironman Florida [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Bryan0721 wrote:
mndiver wrote:

Are you talking about Boulder? I don't recall any discussion about it being sold out. You might be thinking of Lake Placid, which is now Foundation slots only.

Ah your right. My apologies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Volunteer! It's also gives great perspective on the overall race and you get to meet some really great people, volunteers and racers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mndiver wrote:

I agree. IM's have been added faster than the market has increased. I think Muskoka will draw some off 2015 IMWI. I think Boulder and Chantanooga drew some off last year too. Now you have Maryland plus Louisville is a Fall race.

Also keep in mind that IMWI will be a non-pro event next year. I wonder if they will consider a Kona style Male/Female waves and increase the max participants as well by maybe 200. Start the men at 6:55.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been fortunate enough to get in twice online but the most sure way is to be down there and get in line the next morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Signing up for Ironman Florida [TryScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TryScott wrote:
Yes, volunteering is the most certain way to get in.

I'm not sure if they will keep doing it, but last year they packaged both Agusta 70.3 and IMFL, and there's time to register online. Not sure how long till the package sold out, but I'm assuming weeks.

Not sure if they will do a package, but if you really want in and are willing to spend a few extra bucks this might be a good way. They have been releasing the packages online on either Friday or Saturday the day or two before the race and have it open for 24 hours. This is how they did it for Boulder and one other race I was watching anyway. Even if you can't do the 70.3 they attach it to it would be cheaper than driving or flying all the way their and getting a room just to be in line.
Quote Reply
Re: Signing up for Ironman Florida [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
mndiver wrote:

I agree. IM's have been added faster than the market has increased. I think Muskoka will draw some off 2015 IMWI. I think Boulder and Chantanooga drew some off last year too. Now you have Maryland plus Louisville is a Fall race.

Also keep in mind that IMWI will be a non-pro event next year. I wonder if they will consider a Kona style Male/Female waves and increase the max participants as well by maybe 200. Start the men at 6:55.

I thought non-pro IM's start in 2015.

Quote | Reply
irontri wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
mndiver wrote:

Next year is 2015.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kocua495 wrote:
I have been trying to sign up for IRONMAN Florida for over two years but each year registration fills up and I'm out of luck.

What's the best advice from the pros to overcome this obstacle. I have heard from some people that I should volunteer. Is that true?
Thank you fellow athletes for your words of wisdom

You might have some luck with Ken Glah's EST. That's who I used and they are great.

http://www.endurancesportstravel.com/race.asp?content=14-IM-FLORIDA

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mndiver wrote:
irontri wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
mndiver wrote:

Next year is 2015.

Why it sure is and I'm an idiot:)

Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
I went last year and volunteered as well, but if you just waited a couple hours you can walk right up and sign up when they open it onsite to the public. It'll be interesting to see if and how removing the pros from the race affects the quick sell out.

OK... I have a couple stupid questions:

Why would removing the pros have an effect on how fast/slow the race sells out? I would gather most people don't care if they are there or not?

I am contemplating attempting my first IM next year. I keep flip-flopping... I want to do it to the best of my ability and am not sure if I'm ready to tackle the distance yet. So the other stupid question is If I do decide to take the plunge...if you go to the location to sign up the day after the race (I didn't even know this was possible) and DO NOT volunteer is it certain you'll get in? As opposed to online russian roulette?

Florida/ Chattanooga/Louisville are the races I'm leaning towards. I would prefer Fla or Chatt (live in ATL).

Thanks for any info.
Quote Reply
Re: Signing up for Ironman Florida [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no "iron clad" guarantee that you will get in "on site" the day after the race unless you volunteer. But.......with that being said, it is 99.99% certain that you will be able to register in person. Last year (at IM Florida), with approx. 30-60 minutes remaining for on site registration, there was no line and any Tom, Dick or Harry could just walk up and register.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Signing up for Ironman Florida [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know. Thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried Race Quest? They still have spots for this year!

http://www.triwivesclub.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got in online last year, about 90 minutes after registration opened up.

I tried dozens of times right at the start time with no luck. Kept my computer up-and-running on my kitchen table was I went about doing other things. I walked by about an hour later and thought - "what the hell, I'll try again". And I got in.

I think there are many "in process" registrations holding up spots that eventually free up after a certain amount of time. So if you can't get to the race site in person, give this a try.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Signing up for Ironman Florida [Dreamer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to bump an old thread. I'm curious as to what time of day they open the registration online? 12 am? 12 pm? It's typically the day after the race? I'm very interested in the Augusta/FL bundle as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Signing up for Ironman Florida [Speed Concept] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speed Concept wrote:
Sorry to bump an old thread. I'm curious as to what time of day they open the registration online? 12 am? 12 pm? It's typically the day after the race? I'm very interested in the Augusta/FL bundle as well.

Noon Central time the day after the race.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply