Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Showing up undercooked at IM
Quote | Reply
Looking for feedback. I'm doing IMMT (2nd full distance) in a month and have been injured on my IT band. Had to stop running completely for a month and change (40 days) and I've resumed 2 weeks ago at slow pace and mileage.

There are 2 x 2hr runs in my plan before scaling down. I feel I can put a 1:10 to 1:15 on the swim and 6:30 to 6:45 on the bike but the run will be a struggle.

So the question, would you show up undercooked and protect further injury. Say low mileage for the next 4 weeks or would you try to get back the running fitness while trying to protect further injury?

Bonus question, has anyone done this (show up undercooked) and had a decent not super painful marathon?
Quote Reply
Re: Showing up undercooked at IM [rodchaves31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a glute/hamstring injury for the past ten months. I'm doing IMMT as well with only bike and swim training this winter. And I am still injured. I've just accepted the fact that the 'run' will be more of a slow jog and walk. My swim will be similar to yours, and my bike will probably be around 5:40.
Quote Reply
Re: Showing up undercooked at IM [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck bud. Since you bike so much faster won't see u on the run but I'm sure we won't be the only two walking some portions. Get well soon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could very well be on the run course for 5+ hours if it ends up being a walk, so you'll probably catch me!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've posted about my experience before, but here it is:

Did a HIM and signed up for IM Muskoka the next year. Training was going ok until early June when I hurt my back. I hurt my back about 25 years earlier and it had been fine since then. People who have bad backs and hurt them on a regular basis, I'm so sorry cause that really sucks. Hurting it made me realize what you use your back for: pretty much everything. Standing. Sitting. Moving. Not moving.

Anyways, I was off any exercise completely for about 30 days. I then had about 7 weeks left before IM. Eased back into things so I didn't reinjure my back. Before IM I had a few easy runs, and a few easy bike rides. That's all I was able to do in the 3 months before the race.

At about km 120 on the bike I realized that the goals I was desperately clinging to weren't going to pan out. I sat up, and took it easy. My run was a disaster. I was nervous about every twitch in my back. I finished hours after my goal time, but once I well and truly let go of my goals I had fun with it.

If you're committed to the event, push as hard as you can without coming anywhere close to reinjuring yourself. On race day listen to your body. Prepare to be disappointed (not cause it's going to happen, but just accept that it's a real possibility).

Best of luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat only with almost no run training. Thought about bailing but it's a planned vacation anyway and I have a friend doing his first so I want to be there.

This is my 17th IM but the first where I've familiarized myself with the cut-off times. It's going to be a long day, just planning on a nice swim and ride and a long jog/walk knowing that this might be my last. On a positive note, I don't have any re-injury concerns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea how you plan to get back your running fitness and taper in 4 weeks. I would focus on avoiding a re-injury, so don't try to cram a bunch of training into the last couple weeks. An injury now pretty much means you won't be able to even start. Just plan for a slower run and try to enjoy yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run uphill, on a treadmill. That gives the IT band a rest. Good luck with your IM.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Showing up undercooked at IM [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our club coach always says "better under done than over cooked".

Relax and enjoy it.

It is what it is !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your plan may have called for 2x2hr runs before scaling down but I'll bet it didn't call for a prolonged hiatus due to an injury so it's no longer relevant and should be completely disregarded.
I would forget about trying to build significant volume as you simply don't have time. Surely it's better to work on getting comfortable running again with lots of short runs and be rather cautious about doing anything long prematurely. You'll have the aerobic fitness from cycling and swimming, and the run strength will be a compromise no matter what you do. I'd much rather be undertrained but uninjured and feeling good than stress myself with distance I'm not prepared for in the final weeks before an IM. Accept that the run will be compromised and don't trash yourself before the race in a vain attempt to salvage your original targets. It won't work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All but one of my IM's were done undercooked. I just didn't have the time or inclination to properly train for them, especially long runs or rides in the 100 degree temps I live in.

I decided to train properly for one and was never in better shape. Guess which race was my only DNF?

So my n=1 is that half assed training is better than proper training. If you train really well there is a 100% chance of not finishing.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I showed up at IMFL 2014 recovering from 2 stress fractures and a torn muscle. Doctor said I could do it as long as I quit running when my body told me. I knew what he meant. So I was ready for a strong swim and bike, and who knows on the run. Swim canx so I had a good bike, and started jogging. I made it to 11 miles when I got the signal that if I ran another step something was going to tear ... walked the rest including the last 100 yards despite everyone screaming at me to run the last few yards. It sucked but it wasn't painful. And the race didn't set me back at all because I listened to my body and pulled the plug. I had hoped to make it much further, but that's all I had for that day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I think undercooked won't be so bad then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a decent Half IM run once with my longest 'real' run in the 3+ months leading upto being 30min. I ran way too much training for a spring marathon and got a stress fracture and couldn't run for 3 months so I started "running" in a waist deep pool 3-4 times a week inc doing some higher intensity. I even built up to an 1h20min pool run...which may suggest I have mental issues. There was of course minimal landing impact but the legs did get stressed from having to work against the water, so not sure if this would aggravate your issue- might be worth a try though. I would suggest slowly increasing your normal running from your current level and supplement with pool running
Quote Reply