Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [Livetotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not know it; my statement was based in no way on the fact that I owned a PX. It was based on the fact that you just said "chinese bikes disintegrate," which is dumb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Livetotri wrote:
Planet X maintains different standards and you know it.

I'd be interested to know what Planet X does differently in their 'standards' or what exactly standard is?

What is the difference exactly?
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Mar 26, 12 5:48
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
Livetotri wrote:

I'd be interested to know what they are and how they differ from any given manufacturer.

What is the difference exactly?

I don't know. I have a Planet X Exocet...someone already posted that same frame here that they got from another place apparently (post#4). So no different standards, really.

They provide state-side customer service at least, but it's not very good IMO.
Last edited by: Quel: Mar 26, 12 5:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Livetotri wrote:

Really? Because I think they just put a sticker on a frame like most companies.

I have not seen any eivdence of open mold frames being dangerous.

But I have read stuff like this: http://velonews.competitor.com/...steerer-tubes_121389

If anything my open mold frame is over built. After two years on it I have complete confidence in the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I understand/from what I've heard from roadie buddies...(I understand this isn't any form of concrete evidence nor any evidence for that matter and will therefore hold no water here, but still. This is where I'm coming from) the frames are made in different factories by different employees.

The difference, from what I understand, between skilled labor and non-skilled extends further than the knowledge of where stress points in a frame are. That's not to say the non-skilled laborer doesn't know where to lay the carbon differently - he very well may! But there's an equal, if not more probable chance, that without the proper education, he does not.

Heck, I don't.

I can't believe I'm alone on this. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

...written on my droid, please excuse corrections.

Eli Curt

I'm Professionally Amateur. Are you? Become an ambassador today!
Chimps in Training!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Livetotri wrote:
From what I understand/from what I've heard from roadie buddies...

I stopped reading after that, because there was no point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Livetotri wrote:
From what I understand/from what I've heard from roadie buddies...(I understand this isn't any form of concrete evidence nor any evidence for that matter and will therefore hold no water here, but still. This is where I'm coming from) the frames are made in different factories by different employees.

The difference, from what I understand, between skilled labor and non-skilled extends further than the knowledge of where stress points in a frame are. That's not to say the non-skilled laborer doesn't know where to lay the carbon differently - he very well may! But there's an equal, if not more probable chance, that without the proper education, he does not.

Heck, I don't.

I can't believe I'm alone on this. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

...written on my droid, please excuse corrections.

Ahhhh ok, so you heard it from 'them' who heard it 'from some guy' who saw it?
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Mar 26, 12 6:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Livetotri wrote:

I hate to feed the troll, but this is the epitome of a Slowtwitch post: know nothing but post anyway. Over on roadbikereview there are a couple of guys who have visited the factories, with pictures, and all of them were amazed by the frame testing. Now do they do wind tunnel tests? - I highly doubt it. Also, many of these frames are produced by the same companies/workers that build your "trusted" name brand bikes. After the work day is over, they switch the molds and build these bikes for extra income - sometimes using the old brand bike molds - illegally of course.

There are over 10,000 posts on roadbikereview about Chinese frames and only 1 guy has ever really had an issue. He is the same guy who sanded down his steerer tube to get a crown race to fit. Meanwhile there are countless posts of guys with branded frames that have had issues with frames/ forks breaking. The Trek debacle comes to mind.

While there probably are factories that produce crappy carbon frames, the bikes most people are buying are from the reputable companies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not handy no, but I'll see what I can get you when I get to a computer.

Good answer, I like that.

Question: what's more comfortable, steel or ti?

Eli Curt

I'm Professionally Amateur. Are you? Become an ambassador today!
Chimps in Training!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Livetotri wrote:
Question: what's more comfortable, steel or ti?

As a point of reference I have been at this silly game since 1986 so have ridden a lot of configs and materials. I have ridden everything from steel to ti to alum to carbon. In general it's an impossible question to answer for anyone except the person riding it. As long as the bike has a carbon fork on it I cannot tell a single bit of difference. I raced a Pinarello Columbus SL tubed road frame for years and when I put a Time carbon fork on it around '91 it rode every bit as comfy as my Madone did. The most comfortable, pleasurable ride I have ever owned was a Merlin Extralight/Kestrel EMS fork.

All these terms like vertical compliance and whatnot. Meh, I wish I was that sophisticated and dialed in to say I noticed such things, but alas I'm not. I do know any time I ride a bike w/o a carbon fork I can immediately feel the difference when the roads are not perfect.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Mar 26, 12 6:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a TT bike, but Chinese nonetheless. 15.8lbs with powertap.

Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to see you get some specialized decals and see how many people you can fool! Out of curiosity how much was this frame and do you know what it was called?

I'm drooling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice ride! If I thought carbon in my frame would actually make a difference I would ante up for a Chinese frame. I'm a bit soured after breaking 3 carbon frames and probably won't ever be on another, but who knows.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [Cyronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some people are doing that, but there are significant differences between this frame and the Venge. Besides, I'm not into counterfeiting. The frame is a Dengfu FM098. I like it a lot, but I have a new cervelo coming and a baby on the way so we'll see where it ends up!
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Needs gold Jagwire bar end shifters :)

---
KyleKranz.com
Win a pair of SKORA Running Shoes!
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you end up needing a new home for it...I might be interested. I have a 6 year old specialized and am looking for a new steed. What size is yours?

"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your bike looks pretty good, but I always wonder, what is the justification behind putting $3k wheels on a $400 bike frame. I understand the reality that wheels probably have as much of an impact on aerodynamics and comfort/feel as the frame, but still, it just seems you could have purchased an amazing bike AND a good set of wheels for the price.

This goes for several people in this thread rocking Zipps on Chinese carbon.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [epoch2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered this frame http://www.flyxii.com/...enuid=330&id=600 and it should be here early next week. Just need to source some aerobars, brakes, brake levers, and shifters and I"ll be swapping most of my other components from my road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [Lou3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get your point,I have $1k on the wheels(used).I have had the opportunity to ride whole lot of different bikes in the past 20+ years,for me it is about the wheels and the rubber hitting the road,and a smooth drivetrain.
If I was to buy a $3k complete bike,say a Trek 5.2 they come with Alum. rims,great bike not so great wheels.I do some group rides but most of the time I ride alone and really enjoy the performance of race wheels.I will also use this bike next year for some sprint/Oly tri's.I work in a bike shop and that being said can not afford a $3k bike.
You would be surprised at the ride and quality of these frames.These frames are a great option for people who enjoy building something different and not your typical bike off the showroom floor.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [flatfour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got my frame and seatpost from them.I think you will be very pleased with their frame and other parts.
They also sell via Ebay (e_baygoods)
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I used their ebay storefront too. Seemed easier than dealing with their website. It seems like the only carbon TT bars are from the carbonzone store on ebay ($290 with shipping). I'm not seeing many other viable alternatives for integrated bars, so I'll probably be going with those.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [flatfour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much was the shipping. I would be interesting to hear your experience with this company. I have thought about purchasing one of these Chinese frames and giving it ago. Just didnt want to buy it off ebay.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [~C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The frame was $520 + 80 for shipping. I also got the headset through them for another $20 (with free shipping). You can sometimes find the same frame for $600 with no shipping or you can buy it through their UK storefront for $490 with $110 shipping. Either way, you're looking at $600 shipped.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [Lou3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is where your 'thinking' is letting you down. I have a Chinese TT frame for 3 years, regularly in top 1% or so on bike splits in tris including in big city ones like NYC. My frame is very stiff which is my biggest concern and although it may lose 2-3 seconds in not being as aero as some brand frames, over 40k that is no big deal. The wheels I find are way more important and noticeable and worth spending the money on...hopefully soon they will have cloned the zipp and heds (I don't think they have yet). BTW, my TT bike (large, 58cm tt) with disc and 404, SRAM red/Dura ace mix (red rear der, cassette, shifters and 7900 front der and 7800 cranks (177.5)) weighs only 16.9 pounds as well. I will post pics when I get home.

To the other dude, Livetotri, you talk shit. This is my only bike as I don't have room for another in my NYC apartment (esp when GF has 3) and as such I ride it all the time and have hit numerous potholes, etc, on the crappy roads that exist in Manhattan and even hit a SUV head-on, at about 15 mph, on the WSH bike path (it crossed in front to enter one of the ferry piers)....guess what, bike is still perfectly fine.

Lou3000 wrote:
Your bike looks pretty good, but I always wonder, what is the justification behind putting $3k wheels on a $400 bike frame. I understand the reality that wheels probably have as much of an impact on aerodynamics and comfort/feel as the frame, but still, it just seems you could have purchased an amazing bike AND a good set of wheels for the price.

This goes for several people in this thread rocking Zipps on Chinese carbon.
Last edited by: Magwister: Mar 26, 12 9:18
Quote Reply

Prev Next