Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [9kfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
9kfever wrote:

Signing out...

Good the last thing this site needs is more bs like you've been posting here.

Again if you actually cared you would have posted a general safety reminder as all carbon bikes are capable of failing hat way regardless of brand or country of manufacture.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [doricardo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got this email from them the other day.
"The price of this TT framesets is US$625 including fork and seatpost. The order process is very simple, you confirm the details of frame you need, then we will arrange the production after your payment, as for payment, we accept PayPal and bank wires, i think PayPal is easier for small amount."
A bit wary after reading some of the other posts on this thread, but still thinking it over. I am also considering Planet X Exocet 2 and the FM-R833 from Xiamen Top-Fire (http://www.top-fire.com/index.asp).
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [JTB013] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I bought mine it was right before Chinese New Year, which meant that they weren't really working for all of February. I paid in January and eventually recieved it in March, outside of the 30-day limit for PayPal. I still got it and didn't have any issues. I went through Dengfu, so I don't have any experience with other companies, but I was pleased with the process.

Michael Hebert
Hebertmike.com
Supported by: EnduroPacks | TrainerRoad | Asylum Cycles
I support: Team RWB
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [JTB013] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was this for the FM019 (the one with AVENGER logos)?
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
9kfever wrote:

Signing out...

Good the last thing this site needs is more bs like you've been posting here.

Again if you actually cared you would have posted a general safety reminder as all carbon bikes are capable of failing hat way regardless of brand or country of manufacture.

You sure as hell are touchy about these generic knock off frames. Why's it so important to you to defend the honor of Chinese vendors that make blatant ripoffs of well-known frames? Although the quote about the frame failure isn't proof, it sure sounds as if the fork failed while riding: "The owner of this no name carbon frameset (originally bought on ebay) was racing this bike when the fork steerer separated." Hopefully we'll hear more details about this incident but if it's proven to be a failure while just riding, that's cause for serious concern, not something to be laughed off lightly.

You make it sound as if such failures are routine and can be expected from any carbon frame. Sure, in a crash they can fail, but just riding around? It's true there have been occasional failures of this nature with frames from big name brands but such failures have resulted in recalls at huge cost. Good luck holding that Chinese vendor accountable or expecting them to issue a recall.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [turboferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turboferret wrote:
Yup, my first ever long tri, and wasn't exactly a walk in the park! I don't often need an intravenous drip after a race either :O

What was your number?

Cheers, Rich

Helluva way to start long course racing... at least a PB should be a bit easier next year! :)

I was #579. Was my third, and the hardest by some stretch! To complicate matters I'd been hit by a car 6 weeks prior so I was happy just to be fit enough to race. No drip required, but I got the salt intake badly wrong and cramped up pretty bad on the run (probably biked too hard also given the temperature). I tried to take advantage of the finish line free beer while I waited for my friend, but that didn't go down as well as anticipated!
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [Ing.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(RaceCycles website) These guys seem to have most of the Chinese framesets with lower end shimano/sram group sets for sale - http://www.racecycles.com They also seem to be in Idaho (based on their contact number).

They have the FM086 with a SRAM groupset, but if you remove the wheels, saddle and other items, the cost of the frame goes down to $729. That's way cheaper than Ive been quoted by Dengfu, Hongfu and other sellers of this frame.

Not sure if anyone has dealt with them
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:

You make it sound as if such failures are routine and can be expected from any carbon frame. Sure, in a crash they can fail, but just riding around? It's true there have been occasional failures of this nature with frames from big name brands but such failures have resulted in recalls at huge cost. Good luck holding that Chinese vendor accountable or expecting them to issue a recall.

Yes just riding a long name brand products have failed in exactly this manner, at the same time there is no information that the bike pictured above was not subjected to something unusual and caused the eventual failure.

There is no evidence that the no name brands have a higher failure rate that others HAVE claimed here in the past, no proof.

Sorry when someone comes in and says be careful with only the no name stuff I have concern with their lack of sincerity as they completely ignore the very real risks and failures of name brand parts.

I don't defend the Chinese stuff, I call out people who are ignorant.

What good does accountability do you when are dead? sorry but that is a pathetic reason to put the blinders on regarding failures and it only serves to hurt the entire community not help it. If he meant to help he wouldn't have buried it in this thread and would have posted all the information he had.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [DCPGATOR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interested to see if anyone has dealt with racecycles also. Some of there prices seem almost to good to be true unless they have some contract with the manufacturers.

KOM Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [Agl3712] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agl3712 wrote:
Interested to see if anyone has dealt with racecycles also. Some of there prices seem almost to good to be true unless they have some contract with the manufacturers.

Exactly my thoughts. Maybe they are legit and order in bulk to get a deal, but for that FM086, $729 is hard to pass up. They say they are local (US), based on their 208 area code. Maybe someone in Idaho could check up on their business.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [9kfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
9kfever wrote:
And for what it's worth, the post was shared by a socal racer yesterday....but the original post was from Jan 31. Still might be worth a quick teardown and inspection of fork...

This has appeared on weightweenies Aug 2011, with a completely different story.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/...narello&start=90

It appears to be one of those things that snowballs in the retelling and there are 6 different versions of what actually happened based on hearing from a "friend of a friend"
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [DCPGATOR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you still have to buy the frameset separately. To me it looks like they just compile all the parts you would need to build up the selected frameset and then send it to you, even then though the prices still seem pretty good
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
tttiltheend wrote:

Yes just riding a long name brand products have failed in exactly this manner, at the same time there is no information that the bike pictured above was not subjected to something unusual and caused the eventual failure.

There is no evidence that the no name brands have a higher failure rate that others HAVE claimed here in the past, no proof.

Sorry when someone comes in and says be careful with only the no name stuff I have concern with their lack of sincerity as they completely ignore the very real risks and failures of name brand parts.

I don't defend the Chinese stuff, I call out people who are ignorant.

What good does accountability do you when are dead? sorry but that is a pathetic reason to put the blinders on regarding failures and it only serves to hurt the entire community not help it. If he meant to help he wouldn't have buried it in this thread and would have posted all the information he had.

By the same token, you have no way to prove that factory direct Chinese carbon products are as safe as branded products. There are no public stats being kept on this, so all we have to go on are anecdotal internet reports. If someone wants to pass along a report of a failure, they've got every right to, but you seem determined to shout down anyone that has an opinion contrary to yours.

Have a nice day, dude.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
By the same token, you have no way to prove that factory direct Chinese carbon products are as safe as branded products. There are no public stats being kept on this, so all we have to go on are anecdotal internet reports. If someone wants to pass along a report of a failure, they've got every right to, but you seem determined to shout down anyone that has an opinion contrary to yours.

Have a nice day, dude.

What proof do you have they aren't safe? You have none so why make shit up to pretend you have a point? what proof do you have that a name brand one is safe in comparison. sorry but there are no public stats for that either so you can't make any claims they are. I didn't come into a thread and make stuff up, I called out someone who did. why should anyone tolerate people doing that?

Lets also consider that you just commentary ignored the fact that this was a regurgitated pic with a fake story from 3 years ago, clearly if they were that much of an issue there wouldn't be a need for it you'd be able to pull up a new story and pic daily but you can't since these bikes have proven to be reliable and not randomly fail any more then a name brand. There are tens of Thousands of them out here were are all these failures? so not sure what you mean by my opinion when it turned out my calling this out was 100% correct.

This is a thread about tt and tri builds which that was not. It had no more relevance in this thread then posting about a broken Schwinn.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct. They confirmed that it's just the group sets.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [krozema] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Krozema, How r you ? If I understood you bought FF-R817, Didn't you ?

How tall are you ? Which size Have you got ?

Did you change the seatclamp ?
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [doricardo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have trouble with the Dengfu FM086 handlebars not staying in position? Mine keep tilting up and down, even at 9 newton meters of torque. I have gone up to 11 when one of the screws actually cracked in half under the force (better than the frame cracking I guess). I've tried electrical tape over the handlebars to increase the diameter, and hopefully keep things tight, but to no avail.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [mikedrutar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just out of curiosity, did you put carbon assembly paste on them?

Not specific to those handlebars, but carbon stuff in general.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue and carbon paste worked for me. Same with the seatpost.

Quote | Reply
That's disappointing to hear. I like that frame, but if it's a head ache... forget it.

Caron paste does sound like the best option to try. Let us know if that improves things. You could also try to do the old soda can trick to add some thickness to the bars.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It isn't a headache. It is a prudent thing to do at all carbon-to-carbon joints that you don't want to move.

Quote | Reply
True. No argument there.

But slipping parts should not be 'norm', even if it's carbon. I've got lots of carbon stuff and haven't really had problems with slipping, even before I started adding carbon paste (...because it's the prudent thing to do!).
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Beston here, I have had no issues what so ever with any carbon parts slipping, and I get two new Tour de France caliber race bikes a year. The only time I have needed carbon paste is if the odd creak develops somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your Chinese TT/Tri bike [pburnett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pburnett wrote:
just out of curiosity, did you put carbon assembly paste on them?

Not specific to those handlebars, but carbon stuff in general.

I wasn't sure if that was the best route to go, but based on the overwhelming response, I'll be buying some today, and report back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That seems to have worked!
Quote Reply

Prev Next