Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoulder position when running
Quote | Reply
I just noticed from this past weekend's race pics that I run with my shoulder's hunched up. I've been trying to pay attention to their position the past couple of days while running on a treadmill and I consistently find that they get elevated even after consciously dropping them. Does shoulder position matter for the run? If so, is there an optimal position to work at?
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder position when running [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't say that it really matters directly (just as there isn't one single element, foot strike or whatever, that "fixes" your form). But in general, it can be a sign of tension, creating inefficiency, or something that if improved would increase your efficiency.

Look at this visual (Gebrselassie), or this other visual. In general, most elite runners show a certain level of scapular retraction (pulling back shoulder blades without hunching or raising).

I don't know these guys, but looking for a quick resource that might be helpful, I found this video and might give you some ideas on how to approach. There's a recent book, Running Rewired, Jay Dicharry, that has a discussion on shoulders/upper body.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is not optimal to be hunched.

If you want to fix it stop "thinking" about it when you run and do strides. Google how to do them properly.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder position when running [JEI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. I watched the video and I'll never look like that guy ;) I did google strides and plan to incorporate them into my routine now that I finally have a decent base to work off of.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder position when running [JEI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JEI wrote:
I wouldn't say that it really matters directly (just as there isn't one single element, foot strike or whatever, that "fixes" your form). But in general, it can be a sign of tension, creating inefficiency, or something that if improved would increase your efficiency.

Look at this visual (Gebrselassie), or this other visual. In general, most elite runners show a certain level of scapular retraction (pulling back shoulder blades without hunching or raising).

I don't know these guys, but looking for a quick resource that might be helpful, I found this video and might give you some ideas on how to approach. There's a recent book, Running Rewired, Jay Dicharry, that has a discussion on shoulders/upper body.

Geb's shoulders are "back" not because he concentrates on it or anything, it's a secondary result of him being relaxed and efficient at the pace he's running. Running marathon pace becomes relaxed when you do a lot of work faster than it. One of the reasons strides are so important (simplifying here) is your brain/legs learn the most efficient and effective way to work together (Reading that I hate how it sounds) and then when you're going slower than that pace you still use the pathways developed and you are relaxed and efficient.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having your shoulders hunched is not optimal. Without seeing you run there is no way to tell you how to fix it. It may be as simple as learning to do strides or it may be something happening elsewhere in your body that is causing it.

I’ll share an example to explain. I was working with an athlete who told me nothing was ever tight. I watched him run, his shoulder was dipping. I told him “Your QL is tight”. His reply “Yeah, it’s been tight for awhile”. He’s working on his QL and we are getting together again in January.

Send me a private message with your direct contact and I’d be happy to help you get those shoulders worked out.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the only thing that i personally noticed with my hunched shoulders was tightness in my shoulders and neck. muscle tension. it took me a while to break the habit of keeping my shoulders all hunched up but when i did it was a lot of relief in that area of my body after a good run.

ive heard / read too that the act of keeping all those muscles tight expends energy as well. makes sense.

the way i broke it was just trying to always remember to keep that part of my body loose. i would try and think about how (forgive this horrible memory jogger but it worked for me) a boxer when they look like they are dancing a little before a fight, arms kinda loose to their side and very lightly shadow boxing with their hands down around their sides before the announcer introduced them.

as ive worked on my running posture and kept my arms all the way from my fingers to my neck loose ive noticed a massive improvement in after run neck and back tension. i still catch myself occasionally tightening up back there, im sure it will always be something i have to remember.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if there's an optimal position but I definitely think that tense shoulders waste energy and decrease efficiency. I've found that focusing on relaxed hands and wrists helps a lot. If you run with clenched fists that tension carries all the way up through your arms and into your shoulders. Years ago someone told me to imagine trying to hold a Pringle between my thumb and forefinger without breaking it while I run. I found that pretty helpful.
Quote Reply