Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoulder pain on run
Quote | Reply
I did my first Olympic last weekend and about 5 miles into the run, my shoulder felt like it was going to fall out of joint. It was bad enough that I had to slow down to let my arm kind of flop, as holding it for normal running form was excruciating. My position on the bike has my body mass directly over the arm pads, so no excessive extension. I noticed it on a 10 mile run I did a few weeks ago as well.

I separated my clavicle when I was 18 and it was never reattached, but it never caused a problem before during my 5 years of racing downhill mtb or then god only how many road miles I have put in over the last 15 years.

It has not bothered me while swimming, even on days I am doing 3000+ yard days

Has anyone else had shoulder issues while running? Or anyone who has historical shoulder issues experienced this kind of issue? If so, what have you done to correct it?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder pain on run [stoney98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first guess would be you are carrying your shoulders a bit high and tight while running and that after swim and bike and then on the run you are feeling the effects of some thoracic outlet syndrome. That is, tight scalenes and other muscles that are applying some pressure on the nerves and arteries that travel together from the lower cervical spine into the upper extremity(s). I used to get this quite a bit; especially when I ran 'harder' and shorter while tightening up. Focus on relaxing your jaw and shoulders. Lower everything just a bit and see if this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder pain on run [stoney98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to have this issue when I ran long distances such as in a half marathon or marathon. Don't want to ignite the weight training debate but shoulder exercises with weights seemed to help me. Now that I have swimming regularly for years, I think it is less of an issue.

Of course, I don't run those crazy long distances anymore.
Quote Reply