Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoulder Surgery
Quote | Reply
I am seriously considering shoulder surgery. I have a 1.7cm complete tear of my rotator cuff (it actually affects two of those muscles, the superspinatus and the infraspinatus). I would be interested in hearing others opinions of the dos/don'ts of shoulder surgery. My sports med doctor seems to think I can get this better without surgery. But I have spent the last 3 years trying to strengthen it and just when I think it is finally better it flares right up again.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder Surgery [paulafox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the rotator cuff repaired twice, in 5 months. I was not aware at the time, but apparently re-tears are relatively common.

Different docs have different protocols for PT and recovery, but mine wanted me in a pillow sling 24/7 for 6 weeks each time and didnt start PT (passive range of motion stuff) until I was out of the sling. The first surgery was in december of 2010 and I was racing again that next spring, albeit shorter stuff. Once I started with my PT (6 weeks post op), my doc deferred to my PT for treatment and I followed his guidance without question.

I still had alot of shoulder pain/discomfort when swimming and running, but it was starting to feel better while in aero. We did an MRI four months post-op and saw the superspinatus was torn, so it was back to surgery in May.

That time around recovery was MUCH different. I battled pain and discomfort for many months later and still do not feel 100%. I can say without question that I will never be able to throw a football or baseball again with any strength or confidence, BUT I am not trying to be an average age group football player so I guess that's good. The surgery was in May of 2011 and I still work on strengthening things with stretches and external rotation exercises. When I go on long rides, the discomfort in my shoulders gives out long before my legs do, BUT in time I am able to work up to be able to ride an IM bike distance without great difficulty. I don't have the most aero position, but I don't exactly sit up either.

Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder Surgery [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I'm guessing you don't live in Canada if you got such prompt service.
One thing that is not clear from your posting, do you think you were better off having had the surgery than not ?
Also how long post surgery were you able to resume running ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a rotator cuff surgery and it's not been better. I lost some range of motion and the pain is still there. I guess I might have to go again. I too, can't throw a football or baseball anymore.

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my rotator cuff surgery in July 2013, I was cleared by my PT to begin running in October. I had a bicep tendon moved at the same time that impinged on the supraspinatus, leading to a longer recovery time. I completed an Olympic in late November 2013 with no ill effects other than sucking because of my lack of training leading up to it. I am very pleased with the results, shots and strength training alone did not help. The near constant dull pain is gone.
Quote Reply