Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should I sell soloist and P3C to upgrade to S5?
Quote | Reply
After over a decade of tri's including IMs, I've decided that I will focus principally on cycling. I doubt other than an Olympic or Sprint now and then I will be doing any tris. I have the original P3SL, Carbon Soloist Dura Ace, P3C-Dura Ace. Do I sell the Soloist and P3C and maybe my Zipp 808s and Zipp Disc and move to the Cervelo S5? Both bikes are in great condition-not sure what I would get with them but it would certainly help on the 10k price for Di2 or 8k for DA. I am also considering whether I keep one of the bikes and just upgrade to the S5 ultegra or an S3 Di2. My sense is that Di2 is the future and I may as well go all in. The flip side is whether the incremental benefit is worth the price. Lots to consider. thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Should I sell soloist and P3C to upgrade to S5? [zerobars] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My vote is the s3 di2. Sweet bike for a decent price. Di2 not needed (especially for road) but always a nice addition

For the occasional tri, it will suit you just fine if you are out just to have some fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The S5 di2 is an amazing bike. I love mine and ride it all the time (lucky enough to have secure parking so even commute on it). I'd recommend going all in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you planning to keep you old P3SL? That would work out for TTs, etc. Regarding focusing on cycling, I would focus on what type of bike you need. Do you need a more "harsh" aero frame like the S3/S5 or more of an all arounder like the R3/R5? I know you have a preference for Cervelos, but it wouldn't hurt taking a test ride on what other manufacturer's offer now.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Should I sell soloist and P3C to upgrade to S5? [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
allenpg wrote:
Do you need a more "harsh" aero frame like the S3/S5 or more of an all arounder like the R3/R5?
Oh geez, for Gods sake! We've been over this! Aero frames are not, "harsh". People see them, remember their preconceived ideas, and trick themselves into the harsh ride. If you use the same bars/saddle/gyres/tubes/psi, they'll be identical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd keep what you have honestly. the soloist and P3SL arent giving up much to the current best equipment on the market with smart bar and wheel choices. if you're focusing on cycling ( i.e. you race ) there may be a time where you'd need a TT bike to do time trials where the P3SL may come in handy.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I sell soloist and P3C to upgrade to S5? [TriathlonKid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonKid wrote:
allenpg wrote:
Do you need a more "harsh" aero frame like the S3/S5 or more of an all arounder like the R3/R5?

Oh geez, for Gods sake! We've been over this! Aero frames are not, "harsh". People see them, remember their preconceived ideas, and trick themselves into the harsh ride. If you use the same bars/saddle/gyres/tubes/psi, they'll be identical.

That is simply not true. I switched frames to an S2 a few years ago, kept everything else identical, and the first ride I noticed it felt harsher then my Trek or Kestrel. And that was before I did any research on the frame or aero frames in general, so I had no idea they were thought of as a harsh ride. I read about it afterwards and thought "well, I guess they're supposed to feel that way".

That being said, it's not like it's a huge difference, it quickly becomes 'the norm', I still do all my long rides on it and overall it's a fantastic bike.

I have no idea how they the S2/3 would compare to an R3/5 though.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever you decide definitely go all-in and get Di2. I got it on my new road bike this past summer (Ultegra) and can't imagine riding without it.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I sell soloist and P3C to upgrade to S5? [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I come out that its only worth upgrading if I go Di2.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I sell soloist and P3C to upgrade to S5? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yea leaning toward Di2 ultegra.. Need to ride the damn thing. not available yet at the LBS. Tempting though is the S3 which is almost half the price!
Quote Reply