Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should I race?
Quote | Reply
There's a sprint tri coming up in about 2 weeks. I think I ran twice sometime last year. I did go for a couple of really slow bike rides with my wife (a 5K and a 10K ride). I think the tires on my tri bike still hold air. I have been swimming quite a bit though.

In summary, I'm pretty sure I've had perfect preparation to have an ideal sprint triathlon.

I'll sign up. Now to see if I can find a top to wear. I'll probably just put on a t-shirt in T1. It can be tricky to put on a t-shirt if you're wet, so I should also make sure to towel off properly after the swim.

Socks? Probably.

How many powerbars and GU packets will I need?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Should I race? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clipless pedals or platforms?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Should I race? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno.

I'll probably just ride my daughter's mountain bike. It's got shocks.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Band aids. No one wants a bloody nipple and that cotton shirt is sure to chafe.

Other than that I'd say you're ready to go.

Quote | Reply
Sbradley11 wrote:
Band aids. No one wants a bloody nipple and that cotton shirt is sure to chafe.

Other than that I'd say you're ready to go.

You, sir, are a freaking genius. I shall certainly remember this sage advice.

I'll probably remember this sage advice at the 3km mark of the run, with 2 giant bloodstains on my t-shirt. But remember it I shall.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There, signed up.

Now, can anyone tell me what the best place to cut the course is?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
There's a sprint tri coming up in about 2 weeks. I think I ran twice sometime last year. I did go for a couple of really slow bike rides with my wife (a 5K and a 10K ride). I think the tires on my tri bike still hold air. I have been swimming quite a bit though.

In summary, I'm pretty sure I've had perfect preparation to have an ideal sprint triathlon.

I'll sign up. Now to see if I can find a top to wear. I'll probably just put on a t-shirt in T1. It can be tricky to put on a t-shirt if you're wet, so I should also make sure to towel off properly after the swim.

Socks? Probably.

How many powerbars and GU packets will I need?

You'll probably need a hydration pack with GU Brew and make sure to "load for bear" with energy bars. Maybe bring Snickers, Coke and Ruffles to replenish salt and get those calories back in.

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recruit a friend to pace you in a Gorilla Suit and then arrange a gorilla attack just before the finish chute. In the melee, the gorilla can certainly serve as a reasonable excuse for a chip to be dislodged from the strap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude I don't know, you haven't worked on your nutrition or hydration at all. Probably a safe bet to roll with a four-bottle fuel belt, and maybe tape a few gels to your bike just in case.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Should I race? [SasquatchRuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just scanned through that "other" thread about the IMC 40-44 AG "winner". I didn't realize people donated to allow AG'ers to travel to races and pay entry fees. Really? I don't understand that at all. I'll pledge support for a charity for you, no problem, but to help pay your airfare?

Clearly I'm behind the times. So, who wants to fund me? I promise I will only cut the course a little bit. The gorilla pacer will be well behaved too.

BTW, I just fired my coach.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
There, signed up.

Now, can anyone tell me what the best place to cut the course is?

The swim. That first buoy is for suckers.

The last sprint I did had a 400m swim, and still saw people cut the buoys.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jason, I assume you are talking about doing Shubie. I enjoy your swimming advice (I really need it!) and would like to offer you my Specialized road bike for the race if you want to do it. I'm doing the Olympic on my tri-bike so the roadie will be sitting at home wishing it had a prom date if you don't use it. I don't know how tall you are but it's a 54cm frame and although I'm only 5'8" and bit, the guy I bought it from was about 5'10" and it fit him no problem. Up to about 6 feet would probably still work with a little tweaking. It will make your day much more enjoyable and I could get it to you a few days before the race for you to get comfy with it.
Let me know and I'll hook you up. I can put flat pedals on it too if you don't have shoes that are compatible with Ultegra pedals or are uncomfortable with being clipped in. If you want to clip in and don't have shoes, I have an extra set that are size 43 if that happens to be your size. Freshly sanitized in the dishwasher too. :-)

-Mike Fougere
Quote Reply
Re: Should I race? [chowder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgot to mention that I live about a driver and pitching wedge away from the transition zone so getting it back after the race isn't a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the offer.

I actually have everything I need, some of it hasn't been used in a few years though. 2 road bikes, a fixie, a mountain bike, a tri bike, another tri frame, couple sets of race wheels, including a pair of old 303 tubulars which I've never ridden. Got them from a friend just before I moved here and quit doing cycling races.

I might rock the new pink speedo. maybe. It will certainly discourage anyone from drafting off me ;-)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you see me there, feel free to introduce yourself. I'll have a black P2SL with (probably) Specialized trispokes.

I dont know if its wetsuit legal, but I won't have one anyway.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, I just read the part about your daughter's mountain bike and didn't see the tri bike part in your first post. Reading comprehension fail, now I just have to post a few your, you're, there, their, errors to complete my day.
I'll look for you in the pink Speedo. I'll be the guy kneeling on the beach praying to (insert deity of your choice) for a wetsuit swim. Of course, most people will be praying with me so that might not single me out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be great to meet you Jason. I'll have a black P4 with a Zipp disc and either an Easton EC90 Aero or Zipp 404 front wheel.

-Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just went for a run at 11pm. I was debating whether I should actually do any running beforehand, or just rely on my extended taper, but my wife said I should run, and I always do whatever she says. I think I did about 3k, no idea how much time though (I don't own a watch).

Which reminds me, is it mandatory that I race with a garmin and gopro these days? Or can I buy a cheapo timex? Or better yet, not buy a watch?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you shaved your legs yet? There's still lots of time to do it, and if you haven't done it before it will take you most of the night.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Should I race? [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A) I'm a swimmer. Do you think I know how to shave down?

B) I'm not that hairy!

C) shaving is only for championship meets. I'm going full Sasquatch.

D) I'm going full Sasquatch, in a pink speedo.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Did you drink 4 beers before the 11 pm jog? There is no way you'll be ready for your race unless you are ready to take the on course support from the frat guys, tailgaters, stroller joggers, and brunch pot-luckers. Acquiring as much free beer along the course is truly what sets apart the weekend warrior from the top flight racers in the field.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watch out that you don't get confused for the guy in the gorilla suit.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Should I race? [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Earlier today I dusted off the tri bike, checked the gears and brakes, and put the race wheels on.

Can't find my crack pipe adapter.

Put the regular wheels back on

Inflated tires.

My floor pump reads 20 psi when there is actually about 100 psi in the tire

The tread on the front tire on the tri spokes is de laminating from the casing. That is surely not an issue, right?

I figure I'll need at least 4 bottles on the 20k bike course, so I put on the behind-the-saddle double bottle carrier, the BTA bottle cage, and a cage on the seat tube. My bike doesn't have a downtube bottle mount, or else I could have added a 5th bottle cage, just in case.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Should I race? [SasquatchRuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SasquatchRuns wrote:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Did you drink 4 beers before the 11 pm jog? There is no way you'll be ready for your race unless you are ready to take the on course support from the frat guys, tailgaters, stroller joggers, and brunch pot-luckers. Acquiring as much free beer along the course is truly what sets apart the weekend warrior from the top flight racers in the field.

Does it count if they're Coors Light?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suppose Coors Light can count. Just like Gatorade Endurance, if it's the only thing available on race day, you might as well train with it and deal with whatever your body does to respond.
Quote Reply