Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should I buy a beam bike
Quote | Reply
I have a 2012 P2 but have had an itch to buy a beam bike for a long time. Wanted one since Greg Welsh won Hawaii on one so it's been a long time. The only one that's in my budget right now in a Softride Rocket TT that I can get for a good price. Frame only so I could build it with a great bar and pretty decent components.

So do I sell the P2 and build the Softride?

I am 6'1 so for those of you that have had one would I be a large or XL frame?
Quote Reply
Re: Should I buy a beam bike [AG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an older 2001 and am working on an OOOLLLLDDD softride at the moment.

My knee jerk reaction is to tell you no.
Keeping an older beam bike (even a nice example) in good running order can be a pain. The internet helps a lot with replacement parts, and the RockeTT was fairly reliable I believe, but it's still not as easy to live with as your P2.

If you are really in love with it, then do it. If you're on the fence, keep what you have.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a Dimond frame and build your bike yourself. That's what I'll do.

The old beam bikes, like he said, can be hit and miss. Lots of structural problems with those old designs. Beam cracking, to name one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. They're hideous and no faster than your P2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode that same Welchie configured Allsop beam Zipp and loved it. Hands down the most comfortable ride for long days I have ever been on. I also owned a Softride and was happy with it as well. If I were to ever get back into the game and do ultras I'd try hard to find one or probably pony up for a Diamond.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Should I buy a beam bike

Yes! is always the answer to this question.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been riding a Dimond for about 2 months now and absolutely love it. You can buy a frame and build or buy a complete bike. They are awesome people to work with and quick to respond to any questions.
Not only does it ride amazing, it is a head turner!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a guy that lives around here that has an older softride and he's a bit better swimmer than I, but I'm a much faster cyclist so I get to see his bike every time we race. The flex in that frame is visible at speed, and is frankly scarry. If the bike you want is anything similar to that, I'd say no. Diamonds seem to have a cult following and are 'sexy,' but I personally don't care for them and certainly wouldn't be willing to pay the premium for them.

Also...if you are as tall as you are, the frame is even going to be worse (flex wise). I highly doubt that they modified tube diameters for different sized bikes...amazingly that's a fairly new trend, so you'll be riding on the same diameter tubes as someone that is 4'11" and weighs 90lbs.

Your P2 will put the power to the road way better than any beam bike, and I doubt you'll be loosing any seconds in the aero department either.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I buy a beam bike [InWyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, so you have ridden the Dimond or have some data on how well they put power to the road?

I will expect spreadsheets and such immediately.

InWyo wrote:
There's a guy that lives around here that has an older softride and he's a bit better swimmer than I, but I'm a much faster cyclist so I get to see his bike every time we race. The flex in that frame is visible at speed, and is frankly scarry. If the bike you want is anything similar to that, I'd say no. Diamonds seem to have a cult following and are 'sexy,' but I personally don't care for them and certainly wouldn't be willing to pay the premium for them.

Also...if you are as tall as you are, the frame is even going to be worse (flex wise). I highly doubt that they modified tube diameters for different sized bikes...amazingly that's a fairly new trend, so you'll be riding on the same diameter tubes as someone that is 4'11" and weighs 90lbs.

Your P2 will put the power to the road way better than any beam bike, and I doubt you'll be loosing any seconds in the aero department either.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Should I buy a beam bike [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Oh, so you have ridden the Dimond or have some data on how well they put power to the road?

I will expect spreadsheets and such immediately.

My comparative reference was to the old Softrides. I have no info on the Diamond.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im 6-1, 180, and have a P2C and the Softride Powerwing. I have ridden both in 70.3 racing.

Im in both camps on which is best. horses for courses.....new carbon vs old carbon think weight. flat cousrse or hilly, comfort vs speed, etc etc. If a sprint to olympic distance and I want to podium i will use the p2c. if however I fairly strong in my training and the racing at the same distance sprint and Oly, and I am already riding an hour to the race, then ride home after the race i will use the softride ...after 3.5 hrs on the seat and some 300TSS of riding. Well you will find out why.

If it's 70.3 and looking for a podium then i will go light and fast with the p2c. softride has a weight penalty, if though I am only interested in riding within myself for a 2:30 bike split but then want to run fast a sub 1:35 13.1 I find the softride over bumpy coarse tarmac surface a better option on my legs Mind you have use keywin pedals to to help spread the pressure on soles of my feet.

btw I will be buying a Falco shortly.

M

AG wrote:
I have a 2012 P2 but have had an itch to buy a beam bike for a long time. Wanted one since Greg Welsh won Hawaii on one so it's been a long time. The only one that's in my budget right now in a Softride Rocket TT that I can get for a good price. Frame only so I could build it with a great bar and pretty decent components.

age is just a number after your name
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had my rocket for maybe three weeks now, due to work and weather i don't think i've even hit 100 miles yet. But so far i love that bike, it is much more comfortable and much faster then my previous bike. However, i'm coming from a Trek 1.1, a very entry level bike.

That being said, you know you want to join the beam team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AG wrote:

For sure that Cervelo is getting up there in years
Quote Reply
Re: Should I buy a beam bike [seiken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seiken wrote:
That being said, you know you want to join the beam team

You know the feeling.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I buy a beam bike [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
/quote]For sure that Cervelo is getting up there in years[/quote]
I have had 4 of the Cervelo P series since 2003 so this one is still a baby. The interest in beam bikes goes back to the early 90's. Maybe a modern version is in my future.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Quote Reply