Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should I be talked out of a DIY sports drink?
Quote | Reply
After reading about the success so many of you have had with Infinit Nutrition I decided to give it a try. I noticed a huge difference in my energy levels on my longer rides (>2.5 hours) and I was no longer bonking. It made my nutrition plan easy and I have been able to execute it by simply drinking a bottle an hour. The problem is I am cheap and on a recent 5+ hour ride I spent more than $12 bucks on nutrition. I know that really isn't much, but as I ramp up my volume for Ironman training it will start to add up. This got me thinking about alternative options and the possibility of creating my own mix. I know Infinit uses multiple carbohydrate sources, but I have also read about people having good luck with maltodextrin. I still like the idea of having a completely liquid nutrition plan and so far it has worked well for me. So, I know I need to add some sort of electrolyte blend to the mix. Is it as simple as adding a tablet or two of Nuun to each bottle? I also found this article which outlines a very inexpensive recipe http://articles.latimes.com/...ports-drink-20120526

Let me know what you think as I am still willing to pay for the price of Infinit, but I want to make sure it is really worth the cost...
Quote Reply
Re: Should I be talked out of a DIY sports drink? [bigsur28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe one of the pros of making your own, is that you can exclude the citric acids (or similar) which I believe are supposed to be hell on your teeth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next time try eating some dates with water on your long ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to start with some reading here http://suppversity.blogspot.de/...entation-during.html before you craft your own blend to determine ratio of sugars and concentration over time to help you set formulas and dosages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a good website for nutrition recipes

http://www.jibbering.com/sports/drinks.html

I used to get sick of the flavour that energy drinks came with and now just make up my own with maltodextrin and fructose with some squash for flavour. For races I make up a concentrated bottle and then supplement with water as required. This seems to work well for me as I can vary the water intake depending on conditions, but still get the calories I need in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Half pure fruit juice, half water, add a pinch of salt... voila! you have made your own sports drink.
You can also change the fruit juice percentage based on the temperature/difficulty of the ride.

I use myprotein tricarb, that is cheap and good. Not sure if it is available in the US though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bring a few bananas, 1 per hour and fortify with a few dates (2-3 per hour). Way more healthy and water in the bottles is so so much better for oral hygiene and health. Sometimes I pour coffee or tea in one of my bottles though, especially if its cold.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply