Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shorter cranks on both bikes?162.5mm compared to 172.5mm
Quote | Reply
I have recently made the transition to shorter cranks on my TT bike to great effect. My N=1 observations are more comfort at higher efforts due to decreased hip angle, which helps massively with my breathing. I no longer feel as restricted. I have also set PRs on the run at all races since swapping, but this may well be down to consistent training and a decent taper for my last A race.

Now the off-season is nearly here, I am planning on settling the TT bike onto the trainer until next year. I will still do rides outside when weather permits on the road bike.

I went from 172.5mm to 162.5mm and still run 172.5mm on the road bike. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on whether it would be more beneficial to swap over the road bike or keep as is. I can certainly feel the difference between the 2, but don't mind either. However, if there is a tangible benefit to going shorter on both, I am in.

Thanks

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Shorter cranks on both bikes?162.5mm compared to 172.5mm [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longer cranks on the road bike than on the TT bike can maintain a more similar minimum hip angle between the two bikes. So I recommend you keep your longer cranks on the road bike.

There's mention of this idea (and others) here:
http://www.cervelo.com/...rs/crank-length.html

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Shorter cranks on both bikes?162.5mm compared to 172.5mm [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Longer cranks on the road bike than on the TT bike can maintain a more similar minimum hip angle between the two bikes. So I recommend you keep your longer cranks on the road bike.

There's mention of this idea (and others) here:
http://www.cervelo.com/...rs/crank-length.html

Cheers,

Damon,

Thanks for that, makes perfect sense. I had stumbled across that article when researching shorter cranks, but your statement makes it very clear.

Cheers

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Shorter cranks on both bikes?162.5mm compared to 172.5mm [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon,
can you confirm the crank length on the P5 51? is it 167.5 mm?
thanks
Quote Reply