Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Short cranks, or on good legs? 2 x 20 on new cranks
Quote | Reply
So I finally put on a compact crank in preparation for a mountain trip leaving next week. I absolutely love the 50tooth big ring, it has perfect ratio's compared to the 53. I downsized from 175mm crank to 170mm
Yesterday was my second ride and I had a 2x20 scheduled. Today my 2x20 have been in the 255-265 range. Yesterday they were 281/279. My legs felt great.

I even rode an extra 1/2 hour over planned duration and added a 30min interval @ 231watts.

Was it the short cranks? Was it the tighter gear ratio? Was it the fresh legs after my 4 rest days (I do a 10 day block of key workouts, with 4 days of active rest), or was it just a good day?

Who knows, but for now, I love me these compact short cranks.

Truth be told, the real reason for the post, as I know we can not tell what factors lead to the increased performance, is simple:

Is it not the best feeling in the world to be on good legs? To push hard and find that little extra...Hopefully it shows up on race day.

Flame away for the front door brag, but I love training again, and felt like sharing. Get out there and blow the doors off your own workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Short cranks, or on good legs? 2 x 20 on new cranks [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you using for power?

I would say that's on the high side of what an improved fit (from the shorter cranks) might provide but it's not implausible if your fit with 175s was mediocre or worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Short cranks, or on good legs? 2 x 20 on new cranks [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power Tap.

I honestly think it was just a small break through. I just recently stared riding in March after 30months off the bike, and these numbers are not great compared to 30months ago. 30months ago I would have rode around 300 for the 20's. A few years before that I would have been in the 330"s.

It was just during the ride I felt great, and when that happens your always looking for something to claim helped, like lucky underwear etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Short cranks, or on good legs? 2 x 20 on new cranks [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What other changes did you notice? More consistent rpm? Less fatigue in the muscles? Same HR for the higher power, or higher HR?

Good work on the improvements. Combined with the weight loss, your w/kg is up dramatically!
Quote Reply
Re: Short cranks, or on good legs? 2 x 20 on new cranks [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed I could spin a little smoother at high power, as if I was spin a smoother circle while pedaling. I also noticed there was closer ratio between gears, so I could stay around 90-95 cadence, and not get stuck above or below when pushing the slightly higher power.

When I started I was 100kg with FTP around 235, now at 89kg with FTP @ about 266. So 2.35watt/kg compared to approx 3.0w/kg. Still pretty sad. Hopefully by key race I can reach my goals

FTP: 285
Weight: 82

3.47 watts/kg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed a difference as well when i switched to a smaller crank as well. I was able to put out higher watts, while in aero, and my HR was lower then normal. I was using 172.5 and went to 165. the bike has also changed and went from a P2 to a CD0.1 and have noticed a big difference in comfort while being in aero, higher watts, and less of an effort pushing them. all about the smaller cranks, not so much the compact tho...nice work on pushing harder! what works for you may not work for someone else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No flames from me.

I honor your breakthrough and hope many more will follow (though, typically they get smaller and smaller. Until you age (like me) then they reverse).

My guess is the rest helped a ton. I've played with crank sizes from 149 - 175 and on the flats I didn't find much difference (hills, I favor longer cranks).

Gearing that suits you is always a bonus.

Sometimes making changes allows for a placebo effect. Some people seem to devalue that, not me, because if you're faster; you're faster, and, you'll "own" that new performance level.

Enjoy the journey.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in the early 90's I was on 180's with a 55T ring. It was all about the mashin'! By 2000 I was on 175's, but aero was still never dialed in. I bought a ton of BMX cranks and a $20 square taper and started playing around 2010. I settled on 165's, way more aero, way more comfy, same wattage as road with the wired PT. 6'1" 35 1/2" inseam which probably doesn't mean anything for anyone else just an additional data point. Oddly I didn't feel the need to change my cluster or rings it just felt delicious right away. Glad it works for you I remember the feeling when I made teh switch it was like a dip in an ice cold pool on a hot summer day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triagain2 wrote:
So I finally put on a compact crank in preparation for a mountain trip leaving next week. I absolutely love the 50tooth big ring, it has perfect ratio's compared to the 53. I downsized from 175mm crank to 170mm
Yesterday was my second ride and I had a 2x20 scheduled. Today my 2x20 have been in the 255-265 range. Yesterday they were 281/279. My legs felt great.

I even rode an extra 1/2 hour over planned duration and added a 30min interval @ 231watts.

Was it the short cranks? Was it the tighter gear ratio? Was it the fresh legs after my 4 rest days (I do a 10 day block of key workouts, with 4 days of active rest), or was it just a good day?

Truth be told, the real reason for the post, as I know we can not tell what factors lead to the increased performance, is simple:

Is it not the best feeling in the world to be on good legs? To push hard and find that little extra...Hopefully it shows up on race day.

Flame away for the front door brag, but I love training again, and felt like sharing. Get out there and blow the doors off your own workouts.

If you were previously a 330W guy and took a long break and down to 260 range with some training and then now you take some rest and bump up, another 20W or so, I think the cranks have close to Zero impact in the bump. You're so far down on your 330W (you were barely riding at 80% of your former capacity) that any improvements now will be big just with "more training + rest". Once you get back to 330W then let's see what the real gains are. That's basically like someoone who used to run 40 min 10K and is now running 50 min 10K then takes some rest, changes shoes and runs a 47 min 10K....it's not the shoes, it's the training+rest. Once you get back to 40 min 10K, then can see if the different shoes make any material difference. Probably none.
Quote Reply
Re: Short cranks, or on good legs? 2 x 20 on new cranks [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
No flames from me.

I honor your breakthrough and hope many more will follow (though, typically they get smaller and smaller. Until you age (like me) then they reverse).

My guess is the rest helped a ton. I've played with crank sizes from 149 - 175 and on the flats I didn't find much difference (hills, I favor longer cranks).

Gearing that suits you is always a bonus.

Sometimes making changes allows for a placebo effect. Some people seem to devalue that, not me, because if you're faster; you're faster, and, you'll "own" that new performance level.

Enjoy the journey.

I still like the feel of my longer 200 cranks. I can see higher power numbers for the same gearing and RPM on my trainer. Need more time riding and racing again in them to see what happens. We have
great hilly races at Folsom and Auburn in 3 and 4 weeks so shall be interesting to see what happens.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
170mm is still on the longer side for tri.

I went from 170->165->155->150mm and just ordered Cobb's 145mm crankset.

Shorter cranks make getting low (aero) much more pleasant.
Quote Reply
Re: Short cranks, or on good legs? 2 x 20 on new cranks [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Triagain2 wrote:

If you were previously a 330W guy and took a long break and down to 260 range with some training and then now you take some rest and bump up, another 20W or so, I think the cranks have close to Zero impact in the bump. You're so far down on your 330W (you were barely riding at 80% of your former capacity) that any improvements now will be big just with "more training + rest". Once you get back to 330W then let's see what the real gains are. That's basically like someoone who used to run 40 min 10K and is now running 50 min 10K then takes some rest, changes shoes and runs a 47 min 10K....it's not the shoes, it's the training+rest. Once you get back to 40 min 10K, then can see if the different shoes make any material difference. Probably none.

I know, I know, it just gave me a reason to write the thread. Really it is just exciting to feel somewhat fit again. LOL.
Quote Reply