Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Short Distance Training for Long Races
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm a junior triathlete, and am currently planning races for next year. I did XC and am now doing indoor track (which is a lie because we run outside) and also ride my trainer once or twice during the week. I am interested in increasing my speed and endurance for next season so that I can do a couple of 10K races and a 1/2 Marathon. I am running with the long distance runners for track and plan on doing something like the 3200. Our usual workouts consist of 6x800, Mile repeats and the like. I am just wondering how these workouts and training style will affect long distance running. Sorry if this isn't the clearest post, but I'll be happy to clarify my question if needed. Any advice is welcomed, thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Short Distance Training for Long Races [Standbyzero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Track guys scale up very well to longer races.
Of course, you'll need some 7-10 mile runs to get some endurance in (for either HM or 10k). The trick is how you will time these tiring workouts in the midst of what I am sure is a busy track practice schedule.
Quote Reply
Re: Short Distance Training for Long Races [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's always helpful to very slowly build up your weekly run mileage overall. Those quality session can help you improve and challenge you, but there's no great substitute for mileage to make you more efficient. Like swimming, a large part of running is learning to be more economical.

Ironically for me, it wasn't until after high school while training for my first and only open marathon that I learned to increase my cadence and get more efficient. Looking back, it was purely by accident as I had some notion that a higher cadence might increase my heart rate, but reduce fatigue. In reality, it simply made me more efficient overall.

Longer easy pace runs are important for building fitness overall. If your really serious, you might consider finding a local junior triathlon program and work wit ha coach that can build you an overall program with clear long and short term goals, while still making the whole sport and process fun to avoid burnout. The more focused and consistent your training is, the less likely you are to get injured and will see continued improvement, which is a primary motivator.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Short Distance Training for Long Races [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually have 1-2 40 minute runs with my track team, plus I do a LSD run of about 1 hour on Sunday. Would these be appropriate for the endurance building you mentioned?
Quote Reply
Re: Short Distance Training for Long Races [Standbyzero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Standbyzero wrote:
I usually have 1-2 40 minute runs with my track team, plus I do a LSD run of about 1 hour on Sunday. Would these be appropriate for the endurance building you mentioned?

The time is really not that important. What matters is the distance. To do 10k and HM you need to do at least 6 to 10 miles for your long run. For my HM I got up to 12 miles for my long run. Gave me more confidence going into the race.
Quote Reply