Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Shoes for running in rain
Quote | Reply
So if you were going to buy shoes for running in the rain, do you just buy trail shoes? Does the softer trail rubber wear out faster running on the road?
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes for running in rain [resqd1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you looking for rain traction or a cure for wet feet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are the requirements for wet running different from dry?

The solution for running in the rain is to have 2 pairs of running shoes so you can run consecutive days without having to put on damp shoes the day after a wet run.

Alternatively you can run barefoot which eliminates any risk of damp shoes.

What else?
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes for running in rain [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm jogging in some pretty stout Merrells right now - a trail shoe, not an official "running" shoe. Sprayed with waterproofing and my feet are fine. Short duration tho, no more than ~45 minutes.

For dry days I am using the Merrell flats.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What AI_1 said. Just use a second pair of regular running shoes like you'd use if it were dry. Unless you're practicing sprint starts or doing steep, soft-surface stuff, rain will not cause you to be traction limited. If you're going out long enough that blisters might be a problem, then look at it as a trail running exercise where you might encounter creek crossings. I wear toe socks for that (injinji or equivalents).

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So yeah my concern is wet feet and wet shoes, didn't know if the shoes would get damaged being soaked in a 2 hours run on the roads in the rain. Not worried about traction, just wasn't sure if when using a trail shoe for road running if I would end up going through shoes faster because of the wear and tear since they are meant for dirt and not pavement. I guess I was thinking in my head if I got a trail running waterproof shoe that my fee would stay dry, no? I have ran in seal skins over my regular running socks for a full marathon before with no issue, but that was a last minute race day decision because of standing water on course. Today it was just pure dumping water from the heavens so I didn't want to go out and soak my shoes. Wasn't sure if running in them smoking wet would damage them at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Living in the Northwest, I run in a lot of wet weather...a lot of times freezing rain. I've found two solutions that work for me.

Duct tape has become my friend. Running shows are vented so heavily that the water almost pours in. I put duct tape over to toe box and front edge which keeps my feet dry for a good hour or more. The downside is it eventually strips off. The other solution is a pair of Avia gortex hightop running shoes. These are really designed for snow as much as rain. They are kind of heavy, so unless the snow is deep or it's a crazy bad rainstorm, the duct tape is my preferred option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
resqd1 wrote:
So yeah my concern is wet feet and wet shoes, didn't know if the shoes would get damaged being soaked in a 2 hours run on the roads in the rain.
They will get more dirty than you can imagine but they're unlikely to be damaged.

resqd1 wrote:
I guess I was thinking in my head if I got a trail running waterproof shoe that my fee would stay dry, no? I have ran in seal skins over my regular running socks for a full marathon before with no issue, but that was a last minute race day decision because of standing water on course. Today it was just pure dumping water from the heavens so I didn't want to go out and soak my shoes.
Waterproof shoes are at least as good at keeping water and sweat in, as they are at keeping the water out. Many trail shoes actually have more venting than regular shoes, and it's to drain the water so that your feet don't stay soaked. If you wear a good synthetic sock (or wool socks in the cold) then your feet can stay surprisingly comfortable despite being wet.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s just water. Go get wet and have fun. Hating the rain is just an attitude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok great thanks everyone. Puddle jumping it is
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes for running in rain [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Endian wrote:
....Waterproof shoes are at least as good at keeping water and sweat in, as they are at keeping the water out........If you wear a good synthetic sock (or wool socks in the cold) then your feet can stay surprisingly comfortable despite being wet.

This
marklemcd wrote:
And this

I run fairly regularly in the wet and I wear my usual running shoes: Merrell Bare Access 4.0.
They are anything but waterproof and have relatively little cushion so sit low to the ground making it easy for water to get in from the sides as you run through even shallow puddles or wet grass, regardless of the rain. I wear a selection of socks but mostly Smartwool, especially in winter. My feet get wet, they feel absolutely fine aside from the cold sensation as you run through a puddle and a fresh supply of water sloshes into the shoe, but a few seconds later most of that's drained out and the rest has started to warm.
Don't fear the water. It's just water. Your shoes will be fine, and your feet will be fine.

Edit:
The above refers mostly to cold winter conditions. In warmer weather I hardly notice water coming into the shoe after the first dose.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Jan 8, 18 22:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife bought me a boot dryer years ago... I'm a heavy sweater among other things and soak my shoes even on days it isn't raining. Just Googled "boot dryer" and see a four shoes dryer... I might actually buy that one for my brick days.

It's been a real nice thing to have, dries my shoes and they don't smell as bad as they used to.

She found it at our local Tractor Supply store.... of course Amazon has them too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J7J294Y/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0743DMWFW

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
And this

I run fairly regularly in the wet and I wear my usual running shoes: Merrell Bare Access 4.0.
They are anything but waterproof and have relatively little cushion so sit low to the ground making it easy for water to get in from the sides as you run through even shallow puddles or wet grass, regardless of the rain. I wear a selection of socks but mostly Smartwool, especially in winter. My feet get wet, they feel absolutely fine aside from the cold sensation as you run through a puddle and a fresh supply of water sloshes into the shoe, but a few seconds later most of that's drained out and the rest has started to warm.
Don't fear the water. It's just water. Your shoes will be fine, and your feet will be fine.

Edit:
The above refers mostly to cold winter conditions.

Dry = Warm, ESPECIALLY your feet. Everyone says you lose a lot of heat off your head, so wear a hat BUT, if you accidentally step in a puddle, and your feet get wet? A cold noggin will be the least of your worries. You'll get home & shower and dry your hair and that will be fine; but cold damp feet just seem to linger and make you miserable HOURS afterwards. If there is any dampness outside, I put on my socks, slip some bread bags over them then put my shoes over those ... function > fashion, here

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes for running in rain [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
And this

Edit:
The above refers mostly to cold winter conditions.

Dry = Warm, ESPECIALLY your feet. Everyone says you lose a lot of heat off your head, so wear a hat BUT, if you accidentally step in a puddle, and your feet get wet? A cold noggin will be the least of your worries. You'll get home & shower and dry your hair and that will be fine; but cold damp feet just seem to linger and make you miserable HOURS afterwards. If there is any dampness outside, I put on my socks, slip some bread bags over them then put my shoes over those ... function > fashion, here
I'm not too bothered about fashion but I've never felt the need. I occasionally get cold feet cycling but rarely if ever a problem when running.
Perhaps I'll give your bags over feet suggestion a shot just for the hell of it, and see what difference it makes. I'm fine with wet feet but maybe dry feet would be more pleasant so long as water running down my legs don't fill the bags with water anyway!
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "bread bags". Is that a general term for plastic food bags?I've never heard it before - just a regional thing no doubt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, you could use any plastic bag I guess, but I like the long skinny ones that bread comes in

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, some rough answers so far.

The "Neoshell" version of the Altra Superiors is my rain/wet/slush shoe. They are a bit warmer than the standard version, but unless you stand in water higher than the tongue, your feet will stay dry. Dry time doesn't really matter since the insides stay dry. I have a few hundred miles on my pair since December 2016 and no problems. Again, water can come in through the top though so don't wade through a creek and get upset that your shoes are full of water and won't drain.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes for running in rain [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:

The "Neoshell" version of the Altra Superiors is my rain/wet/slush shoe. They are a bit warmer than the standard version, but unless you stand in water higher than the tongue, your feet will stay dry. Dry time doesn't really matter since the insides stay dry. I have a few hundred miles on my pair since December 2016 and no problems. Again, water can come in through the top though so don't wade through a creek and get upset that your shoes are full of water and won't drain.

You big girl's blouse!

[...no offense intended towards big girls who wear blouses or manufacturers of blouses!]

;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trail shoes on pavement will wear out faster, but if you are only using them for wet runs, your shoes will last a long time.

I like me feet to stay as dry as possible to avoid blisters, especially on runs longer than 90 minutes. If there is standing water, but no rain, it is a Hoka day to stay above the wetness. If it's really raining and I am doing a long run, I will swing by the house and swap shoes and socks. You can always carry a dry pair of socks with you to change if it gets too bad.

If you are really looking to keep you feet dry, I would recommend any Columbia shoe with OutDry. It is a liner they put in their shoes that are amazing at keeping water out without getting too hot. By amazing, I mean walking through puddles and streams for hours and have my socks bone dry. I haven't done long road runs in them because they do not have enough support, but they are great for trails.

Unless it is really pouring down rain, your feet will stay relatively dry as long as you can avoid the puddles and gutters.

As a resident of the Pacific Northwest and a participant in the 100/100 challenge, I would like to think that I can advise from a position of authority.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes for running in rain [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thank you

Vincible wrote:
Trail shoes on pavement will wear out faster, but if you are only using them for wet runs, your shoes will last a long time.

I like me feet to stay as dry as possible to avoid blisters, especially on runs longer than 90 minutes. If there is standing water, but no rain, it is a Hoka day to stay above the wetness. If it's really raining and I am doing a long run, I will swing by the house and swap shoes and socks. You can always carry a dry pair of socks with you to change if it gets too bad.

If you are really looking to keep you feet dry, I would recommend any Columbia shoe with OutDry. It is a liner they put in their shoes that are amazing at keeping water out without getting too hot. By amazing, I mean walking through puddles and streams for hours and have my socks bone dry. I haven't done long road runs in them because they do not have enough support, but they are great for trails.

Unless it is really pouring down rain, your feet will stay relatively dry as long as you can avoid the puddles and gutters.

As a resident of the Pacific Northwest and a participant in the 100/100 challenge, I would like to think that I can advise from a position of authority.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
dangle wrote:

You big girl's blouse!

[...no offense intended towards big girls who wear blouses or manufacturers of blouses!]

;)

I live on the IL/WI border and am at 364 running days in a row. You? Those shoes for wimps were pretty nice when it was below 0F most of last week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amen! I'm also on the IL/WI border and was very grateful for my Nike Pegasus Shields last week. Thought the Shield technology was going to be hokey, but damn if it doesn't work - feet were toasty when it was -10 windchill.

To the OP - if you can run in Nike, check out the line of Shield equipped shoes - wind/H2O resistant and more reflective stuff. I know the Pegasus and LunarGlide come in Shield versions - not sure about others.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://smile.amazon.com/PEET-Dryer-Original-2-Shoe-Electric/dp/B001J4HQ76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515523211&sr=8-1&keywords=peet+dryer

I have this shoe dryer. It's amazing!!! It's quiet and low energy. Dries shoes over night.
Last edited by: nad: Jan 9, 18 10:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was meant in good humour Dangle ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm from the other school of thought: get shoes that drain well. If it's super wet, your feet are almost always going to get wet. So shoes that drain well and socks that don't waterlog too badly are what I shoot for. Avoid waterlogged running and trenchfoot for long runs.

I only go for the exotic waterproofing materials, etc., if it's really, really cold out.

As a poster with the username trail, I would like to think I can advise from a position of authority.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
That was meant in good humour Dangle ;)

Don't expect us Yanks to have any sense of humour!
Quote Reply

Prev Next