Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Shoe help - Hokas or.....
Quote | Reply
I have about 350 miles on my Cliftons, and I like them, but want to fall in love with something What are my most comparable options? Likes: relatively light weight, cushioning, middle of the road stack. Dislikes: - cushioning makes the shoes almost too squishy - would like a more responsive feel, would prefer more room in forefoot (do NOT have wide rearfoot however).

I also do some running (to mix it up) in Kinvaras and adidas energy boost.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe help - Hokas or..... [Camel's Toe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brooks Launch 2?

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Altra Paradigm or Torin.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you tried the Hoka Huaka? I switched from Cliftons to the Huaka's for the same reason of them being a little too squishy. Huaka's are just as light but us the RMAT material which is little more rigid. I also use a slightly padded insole (not the Hoka insole) because the Hoka insole would bunch up inside the shoe on me. Now I'm really happy with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asics 33-M. A little firmer than the Hoka, and a lot wider toe box (4mm drop, 31-27). After running through 7-8 pair of Bondi's, the 33-M is my new favorite. I currently have two pair in rotation, along with a new pair of Saucony Triumph ISO (8mm drop, 31-23)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saucony Zealot might be an option. More padding in the forefoot but pretty responsive. Similar to the Kinvaras so it shouldn't mess with you.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe help - Hokas or..... [CrankShaft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have not tried the Huakas. I I didn't know of the Brooks or new ASICS. One question....is my penalty for wanting to switch the 2-4 ounce weight differential between Clifton and Brooks (2 ounces) or NB (4 ounces)? Is this where the choice lies?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brooks Transcend. 8mm drop and around 11.9 ounces.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Camel's Toe wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have not tried the Huakas. I I didn't know of the Brooks or new ASICS. One question....is my penalty for wanting to switch the 2-4 ounce weight differential between Clifton and Brooks (2 ounces) or NB (4 ounces)? Is this where the choice lies?

I never look at the weight. Although, some shoes feel, and are heavy. To me, it's more about how I run in them. For a 2-4 ounce difference, to me it is more about how the shoe rides. Does my stride feel right, and is my cadence normal? Does the shoe transition through the stride smoothly, or does the shoe feel awkward? While this is completely subjective for each individual, some shoes seem to get in the way, and some shoes make you run really well. Sometimes you can feel that just by putting a pair on in the store, and other times it takes many runs and miles. Although, after 30+ years of running, I know what feels good "to me". At the moment, thats the 33-M.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Cliftons and also Asics GT-2000. The Asics offer a little more "stability", but not as soft. Cliftons are nice for hard surfaces though. When they have served their purpose - and they move out of the running shoe rotation - the Asics are nice weekend knock around shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you think of the Triumph ISO? I was a big fan of the Triumph 10, but found the Triumph 11 to be a little firm for what I wanted. I had heard that they were going to remedy this with the Triumph ISO.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe help - Hokas or..... [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1xatbandcamp wrote:
have you tried the Hoka Huaka? I switched from Cliftons to the Huaka's for the same reason of them being a little too squishy. Huaka's are just as light but us the RMAT material which is little more rigid. I also use a slightly padded insole (not the Hoka insole) because the Hoka insole would bunch up inside the shoe on me. Now I'm really happy with them.

What insole is that? I returned them largely in part because the hola insole would ride up.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe help - Hokas or..... [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
What do you think of the Triumph ISO? I was a big fan of the Triumph 10, but found the Triumph 11 to be a little firm for what I wanted. I had heard that they were going to remedy this with the Triumph ISO.

Unfortunately, my last pair of Triumphs was 8+ years ago, so can't compare to v.10. They are not as soft was the Hoka Bondi's, but close. I would rate them as "softer" than most of the shoes I have tried. I generally prefer a 4mm drop, but I really like the feel of the Triumphs, and the 8mm drop is nice on recovery days for me. They also have a generous toe box, which I really like.
Last edited by: CrankShaft: Apr 28, 15 5:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I think I'll get a pair of ISO's to try as my next recovery/long run shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe help - Hokas or..... [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sofsole athlete max cushion, medium arch. replaced the hoka thin midsole with this. really like so far but I have a half mary this weekend will make final judgement on it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike Lunarglide! I (and many of Nike's more accomplished pros) use it for most of our training miles. Snug heel, good room in forefoot, with enough shoe to support high mileage training. Wear it for one or two runs, and it gets this delightful comfort that makes running pretty darn easy. Also, it's one of the least expensive shoes on the market!

------
David Roche
"The Happy Runner" book: https://www.amazon.com/...Longer/dp/1492567647
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe help - Hokas or..... [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair of Hurricane ISOs this spring for exactly that reason -- loving them. I much prefer them to the Hoka Bondis I have (yes, I know the Bondi is neutral and the Hurricane is not... I switch out shoes a bit, and try to do long runs on something with a little more support). In particular, like you I prefer more room in the toe box than the Hoka provides, but I have a narrow heel. I think you'll be happy with the Sauconys. Interestingly, I found the Hurricane ISOs ran about 1/2 size larger than the Guides as far as room in the toe (e.g. I picked up a 7 in the Hurricane, a 7.5 in the Guide). Try before you buy.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe help - Hokas or..... [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to the Superfeet Carbon insole in my Clifton's. It made the shoes ever so slightly firmer which I prefer as I found them a little too squishy without.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe help - Hokas or..... [Monsieur Trois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monsieur Trois wrote:
Brooks Transcend. 8mm drop and around 11.9 ounces.

How is this a good recommendation.....twice the drop and 6 ounces heavier than the Clifton?

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe help - Hokas or..... [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: Monsieur Trois: Apr 27, 15 18:55
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe help - Hokas or..... [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point re. the drop -- if the OP wants the same drop as the Hokas, and wants to try something in the Saucony ISO line, the Zealots would be the best bet. I dunno... I go back and forth from 8mm to 4mm to 11mm drop shoes depending on the day, and it honestly doesn't bother me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably altra paradigms they are stiff ish hoka-like but wide toe box= more comfortable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Altra Paradigm and triumph ISO should fit the bill. Tried the Altra after Cliftons but I am looking for more squish, not less.
I rotate cliftons and triumph but next will try the bondy 4.

Btw why is the Hoka toe box so badly shaped ? Do they even wear their own shoes ? Had to get Cliftons in much larger than usual size for them to be bearable.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe help - Hokas or..... [DaveRoche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will second the Lunarglide recommendation. Lunarlon midsole should have a similar soft feel, particularly in the heel if you need it there, but lower profile and nice and light.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Altar or on
Quote Reply

Prev Next