Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shiv vs Slice - for the wife
Quote | Reply
Surprisingly, my wife has joined me in doing triathlons and I'm looking to get her a tri-bike. She'll keep her road bike, which she's been using with aero bars.

The local bike shops have a Shiv Sport for $1,850 (Tiagra 10 speed) and 2015 Slices for $1,500 (105 11 speed) and $1,700 (Ultegra 11 speed). Fit will obviously be the most important factor, but are there any other aspects of these bikes I should consider? I think she'll like the integrated water storage on the Shiv, and it looks to be the most aero. If it matters, she has a shorter torso / longer legs, relatively speaking. Thanks for any tips.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv vs Slice - for the wife [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The shiv and the slice have similar s/r quote; both bikes should suit well to short torso / long legs athletes. I'd go with the Slice ultegra option: besides better shifting and lighter weight, it comes with the tritone saddle, which is a nice bonus (vs. the "nosey" std. saddle), especially for women. You can spend the spare 150$ for a nice aero helmet, thus filling the possible aero gap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am neither a Shiv owner or female, but I get the impression the Shiv might be a bit of a handful in crosswinds for smaller/lighter riders?

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tiagra is shit... I'd be getting the Slice based on that alone. For $200 extra I'd be inclined to get the Ultegra too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife has the 2015 Slice (Purple and White version) with Ultegra, and she loves it. Me not so much because of the seat post, but once you have it where you want it that isn't really a problem either. We spent a lot more than $1700 for it in December of 2014, BTW. The original saddle hurt her lady bits so we replaced it with a Specialized Power. Then I discovered that she was out of aero more than in aero because she couldn't control the bike with the S-curve aero bars. A set of T-3 Ski Jumps fixed that.

I haven't touched it since, except to install the C1 power meter.

We looked at a 2015 Shiv at the same time. The LBS said either would fit fine but she did not like the looks of the Shiv. Like most women, my wife is just as concerned about color coordination and bling as she is about performance.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both are fine bikes, thus the answer is very simple - go with the one your wife likes the looks of more. No, really.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well i know NOTHING about the slice, but i do own a 2013 shiv expert (size small), that i bought with my hard earned money back when i was a student and right when i got it, i went straight to triathlon heaven. it was beautiful, it felt fast, that integrated drink option was just genius. not was ever going to make me second my mind and that expensive purchase... or so i though (minor note, i sold my planet x pro tt to buy the shiv, which was a road carbon frame with tt bars)

well 4 years later and ALOT of small annoyances later i have the following things to warn you about the shiv

- there has been ALOT of reports about slipping seatpost mounts and broken seat post bolts, needing you to reepoxy the mount or send in the frame (use search function)
- the handlebars may come with the "super fast" aero bar connector, due to a recall of the original kit, if that is the case, say goodbye to the glourious and perfect tilt funtion and many other small adjustments of the aerobars.
- the front brake is anything but aero, may want to buy a tririg omega to fix that.
- the rear brake is anything but powerful, i use swissstop brakepads and it has no where near mediocre brake power (this may be the case for all bb mounted, weird cable routed bikes though)
- the stupid weird routing of the front derailur cable, means either accepting to not use wider tyres or going etap due to the cable hitting the rear wheel... (this is my major point at the moment. and became an issue when i changed to a dt swiss rim that was wide)
- the fuselage system is hard to put correctly into the frame on small sized shivs, so i have to leave mine in there when it finally sits correctly
- the fuel cell they build for part storage is really dificult to pack correctly
- the cover below the bb is really hard to position correctly when routing cables, so expect cable changes to be a hassle
- i had to cut a 2,5mm hex key really short for it to be able to reach the rear brake adjustment on the chain ring side unless you are willing to remove the big chain ring everytime the rear brake needs adjustment (changing rim width)

i will though give it a few really positive things
+ using a torhans aeroz you can connect the fuselage and create a 1,5 liter straw operated system that can easily be refilled.
+ its crosswind stable and confidence giving (i feel safer in the aero position on the shiv than my normal position on my trek 1000 (2006)
+ it can it really well on people who are not very flexible in the lower back like me :)

again do not this is written about the 2013 shiv, i do not know if they have improved it since? and you may find the same problems with the slice...
and sorry in advance for any spelling mistakes or missing grammar, english is my second language.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Specialized Shiv comes with a more adjustable aerobar. The extensions are J-shaped rather than Slice's flattish S-shape.

The Slice is lighter, which has an impact on initial road feel. The Slice Ultegra comes with Cannondale's hollowgram cranks, which are really good.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Oct 26, 17 5:29
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv vs Slice - for the wife [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
read this wrong and thought it said "Shiv vs Wife". I was like yes, this is going to get interesting!
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv vs Slice - for the wife [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
My wife has the 2015 Slice (Purple and White version) with Ultegra, and she loves it. Me not so much because of the seat post, but once you have it where you want it that isn't really a problem either.

are you sure it's a 2015 m/y? is the rear brake under the bottom bracket?
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Oct 26, 17 7:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with the Slice, but:

The rear brake on the Shiv blows if you're switching dissimilar wheel widths (does she use training and race wheels). This may be an excuse for aero brakes. Also, it's a great 'system' if you add the fuel cell and fuselage (and shes comfortable using water bottles between the bars and behind the saddle...my wife isn't). I have Tiagra on 2 bikes and the shifters are where I feel the difference, not the derailleurs...not an issue for tri.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv vs Slice - for the wife [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:
My wife has the 2015 Slice (Purple and White version) with Ultegra, and she loves it. Me not so much because of the seat post, but once you have it where you want it that isn't really a problem either.

I just know when it was bought, so it could be a 2014, I never really asked.

No, it has brakes in the standard locations. It is the version with the damn seat post to seat interface that has the weird toothed cam that has to be adjusted with two pull bolts. Serious pain the ass to deal with.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
jollyroger88 wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:

No, it has brakes in the standard locations. It is the version with the damn seat post to seat interface that has the weird toothed cam that has to be adjusted with two pull bolts. Serious pain the ass to deal with.

Then it's a 2014 (or older); I've had it for 4 years: once you mastered the seatpost, it's a real nice ride. But I think the OP was asking about the more recent model (direct mount brakes and smarter seatpost)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
If it matters, she has a shorter torso / longer legs, relatively speaking. Thanks for any tips.

May I ask how tall she is? The 650 conversation is pretty relevant for those in the low end of the 5' range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

No, it has brakes in the standard locations. It is the version with the damn seat post to seat interface that has the weird toothed cam that has to be adjusted with two pull bolts. Serious pain the ass to deal with.[/quote]

There is information from Slice users in this forum that reversing the bolts makes things easier to manage.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv vs Slice - for the wife [berchrker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
berchrker wrote:
- the handlebars may come with the "super fast" aero bar connector, due to a recall of the original kit, if that is the case, say goodbye to the glourious and perfect tilt funtion and many other small adjustments of the aerobars.

There is a new clamp that restores this function FYI
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv vs Slice - for the wife [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
dktxracer wrote:
If it matters, she has a shorter torso / longer legs, relatively speaking. Thanks for any tips.

May I ask how tall she is? The 650 conversation is pretty relevant for those in the low end of the 5' range.

She's 5'7", so sounds like she shouldn't need 650's.

Also, the bike shop with the discounted Slices sold the Ultegra model, and the remaining 105 model is too big. Looks like we'll be going with the Shiv, unless anyone else has a recommendation for a new tri-bike that's around $2K. It's a gift for the wife, so I don't want to buy used.

And thanks everyone for the input - great info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
dangle wrote:

She's 5'7", so sounds like she shouldn't need 650's.

Great news. Good luck with the search.
Last edited by: dangle: Oct 26, 17 17:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At this point in time I wouldn't be buying anything new in 10 speed.

The technology is good and the 10 speed race wheel market is a buyers market but 10 speed was introduced in 2007? Honestly I'd expect 12 speed to be mainstream in a few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest the Quintana Roo Kilo, the Felt B16 and, of course, the Cannondale Slice 105 (still <2000$ not discounted)
They all perform similarly and are easy to set up and maintain, therefore you can pick up the one you (or wife) like the most
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Oct 27, 17 0:45
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv vs Slice - for the wife [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you look hard enough, 2016 Cannondale slice Ultegra can be have for $1699. Smoking deal. 😊
In Reply To:
Last edited by: jdzz: Oct 27, 17 21:20
Quote Reply