Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Shiv S-Works vs IA vs P5 Which is better?
Quote | Reply
At the title says, which is better? Not which looks better or fits better, but which one is best all around? Aero/Weight/Adjustability/Maintenance, etc.

My take:

S-Works Shiv: Goofy looking, NO Di2 on horns thanks to Magnura brakes. Bladder is cool idea, but gets mixed reviews. Seems to be aero. Maintenance is probably medium to difficult. New Fuel Cell helps this bike a lot in terms of functionality and looks.

P5: Aero, Looks good. Maintenance is medium of road. No internal storage but options for bolt on storage. Heavy? Adjustable.

IA: Looks good. Maintenance is suppose to be easy (but no one has one yet). Internal storage/food options (or at least we think so). External storage? Aero (the most aero?). Di2 on the bullhorns. Weight?

I know there is also Trek SC and BMC Time Machine, but I don't have opinions on those. Feel free to throw them out there. . .
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv S-Works vs IA vs P5 Which is better? [Tell3131] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The IA brings a totally different type of carbon into the mix. I'm not a materials expert, but it definitely sounds interesting from what I've seen. Supposed to be more durable.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv S-Works vs IA vs P5 Which is better? [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lighter? Stif? I haven't heard that yet, but sounds good to me. I know Specialized has numbers for theirs. 11R is the S-Works Shiv. Stiff and light. . but I know all bike companies don't rate the same way.

Thanks for the input!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the shiv- 2012. No experience with magura brakes, but the location under BB is kind of a pain to adjust. Other than that maintenance/ fit adjustments are very simple. There are some initial growing pains with the bladder, but now I can't imagine racing without it. It's very aero, and while p5 windtunnel may be slightly better.... you have to put the rider on and potential bottle on downtube.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new carbon in the FRD line is pre-preg unidirectional sheets that are woven together. Makes for lighter and stiffer final product since you have a better carbon to resin ratio. Basically less gaps in the layers (this is the super simplified version, Felt has more info online).

Based on the overall criteria, I would say the Felt IA looks like the best superbike on the market. Light, stiff, aero, storage, easier to adjust, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv S-Works vs IA vs P5 Which is better? [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How light is it?

Jctriguy wrote:
The new carbon in the FRD line is pre-preg unidirectional sheets that are woven together. Makes for lighter and stiffer final product since you have a better carbon to resin ratio. Basically less gaps in the layers (this is the super simplified version, Felt has more info online).

Based on the overall criteria, I would say the Felt IA looks like the best superbike on the market. Light, stiff, aero, storage, easier to adjust, etc.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The IA wins the sexy award for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're results driven, the Shiv [ I think it's ugly too]
It won The TdF indivivdual TT, the UCI mens and womens team TT, the Vuelta team TT

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv S-Works vs IA vs P5 Which is better? [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wrong shiv!

RoYe wrote:
It won The TdF indivivdual TT, the UCI mens and womens team TT, the Vuelta team TT

Quote Reply
Re: Shiv S-Works vs IA vs P5 Which is better? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think felt says 30% light and 24% stiffer, but I'm just going by memory. Don't think I've seen any frame weights for the IA or the AR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But the goal here is comparing 3 bikes.

We gotta know how much lighter the IA is, not how much lighter you can theoretically make it due to the material choice.

Also I don't think stiffness differences between these bikes will have any substantive impact on performance, so I think you can ignore it.

Jctriguy wrote:
I think felt says 30% light and 24% stiffer, but I'm just going by memory. Don't think I've seen any frame weights for the IA or the AR.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
the Felt IA looks like the best superbike on the market. Light, stiff, aero, storage, easier to adjust, etc.

Like DA rear brake easy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Wrong shiv!

RoYe wrote:

Nibili in the Giro then?

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Shiv in discussion here is the UCI-illegal shiv. No pro tour rider is riding it, they can't.

RoYe wrote:
jackmott wrote:
Wrong shiv!

RoYe wrote:

Nibili in the Giro then?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:

Results of pros have little to do with the bike they ride. All the modern super bikes are within the margin of typical performance differences. Cancellara win on Cervelo, switched to trek (or specialized?) and still won.

And UCI bikes aren't necessary in tri's. so the new Shiv, IA and others are different than the pro tour guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell3131 wrote:
At the title says, which is better? Not which looks better or fits better, but which one is best all around? Aero/Weight/Adjustability/Maintenance, etc.

S-Works Shiv: Goofy looking, NO Di2 on horns thanks to Magnura brakes. Bladder is cool idea, but gets mixed reviews. Seems to be aero. Maintenance is probably medium to difficult. New Fuel Cell helps this bike a lot in terms of functionality and looks.

Full disclosure – I’m a Shiv owner and have nothing to say bad about the other bikes. Points regarding the Shiv I think that are worth mentioning.

The internal bladder is genius, simple and offers lots of flexibility. Also there is a ton of tips in the Shiv thread. If there were anything other than newb issues it would be all over the place in that thread.

Maintenance difficulty? This is my 2nd bike (first was a CAAD10) and do all the maintenance myself. What do you believe is difficult to maintain??

DI2 – The bike may not come built up the way you want it but you can save a TON of cash buy getting a used “frame only” ~ $1350 and building it up exactly the way you want it. One of the GREAT things about the Shiv is how many owners there are out there which means lots of knowledge and and lots of parts which I think (besides price) is one of the key differentiators you should consider.

Custom Build Option - If i did my quick math right you could do a "Build A SHIV" using a Tririg (Alpha , Omega & Sigma), Quarq Riken, Ultegra DI2, used 808’s, Specialized Sitero & SWAT, cables & chain for ~ $7,500.

That in my opinion would be a hell of a bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv S-Works vs IA vs P5 Which is better? [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought there was one set of data showing the shiv to be a little slower than the competition in aerodynamics.

anyway I'd go with a p5-3. Very fast, easy fork, front brake and can use any aerobar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why isn't Trek on your "list"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got my TM01 and I am very impressed so far. Also I got a 2013 with Ultegra Di2 for just north of $6,000, so I am assuming this is less than most of the bikes you mentioned.

The only issue I have with the bike so far is the rear brake, it is a complete pain in the ass to adjust for different width wheels. Also some of the new paint schemes are a bit strange....

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
But the goal here is comparing 3 bikes.

We gotta know how much lighter the IA is, not how much lighter you can theoretically make it due to the material choice.

Also I don't think stiffness differences between these bikes will have any substantive impact on performance, so I think you can ignore it.

Stiffer often means less material so lower weight. But agree that overall frame stiffness on most of the bikes is largely irrelevant to TT/Tri applications. If we were Cavendish in the final tour sprint, might be more of an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv S-Works vs IA vs P5 Which is better? [radelj44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
radelj44 wrote:
Why isn't Trek on your "list"?

Because I don't like Trek. :).

Feel free to throw it on here. I was just trying to keep it to 3 bikes or so. Same with BMC. Throw it on here.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv S-Works vs IA vs P5 Which is better? [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coopdog wrote:
I just got my TM01 and I am very impressed so far. Also I got a 2013 with Ultegra Di2 for just north of $6,000, so I am assuming this is less than most of the bikes you mentioned.

The only issue I have with the bike so far is the rear brake, it is a complete pain in the ass to adjust for different width wheels. Also some of the new paint schemes are a bit strange....

Funny how often you hear this now.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv S-Works vs IA vs P5 Which is better? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was warned before I purchased te bike but damn.....it is not very technical to adjust the brakes, but I have not found a way to adjust the pad on the drive side of the bike without taking the crank off.

One more plus about the BMC, you don't see many of them, especially where I live.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell3131 wrote:
My take:
P5: Aero, Looks good. Maintenance is medium of road. No internal storage but options for bolt on storage. Heavy? Adjustable.
IA: Looks good. Maintenance is suppose to be easy (but no one has one yet). Internal storage/food options (or at least we think so). External storage? Aero (the most aero?). Di2 on the bullhorns. Weight?
I know there is also Trek SC and BMC Time Machine, but I don't have opinions on those. Feel free to throw them out there. . .

Not no one:

Josh ran 7 gels in the storage container inside the top tube. However, a tube, CO2, fix-a-flat/pit stop, or with the bottom punched out an entire tubular is possible. Weight of the frame and fork is just slightly less than the DA. Complete bike weight depends on the build of course.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply

Prev Next