Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shiv Draftbox
Quote | Reply
Not so fond of my storage set up currently. So was wondering, has anyone successfully taken a Felt or Bontrager or other draftbox, and mounted on a Shiv?
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Draftbox [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without mounting bolts how do you plan on accomplishing this?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Draftbox [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Without mounting bolts how do you plan on accomplishing this?
That’s what I need you to tell me. If I already knew I wouldn’t have asked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think the Shiv seat tube is wide enough for any of these. Glue or velcro wouldn't be strong enough to hold it

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was highlighted on ST a few years ago:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...desma_Shiv_4861.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, what's wrong with the Fuelcell (the flat kit for the main triangle)? I cut out the rubber "bottom" in mine and as a result I can stuff quite a flat kit in there if I choose to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's certainly possible to customize a mount to either get a fully printed draft box on there, or to adapt a Trek/QR model to fit.

However, you shouldn't do that.

1. The bike is generally faster with the Fuel Cell installed, so that's winning.
2. The seat tube really is pretty thin, and it's unlikely anyone without extensive design skills and CFD could make you something that doesn't catch a shit ton of wind.

I would do it myself (have a shiv) except I already have this project going for my Felt IA because I don't have the rear bosses, and wouldn't use that Felt pile even if I did.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Draftbox [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting you mention wanting to put a draft box on your felt IA. I have an IA4 size 54 without bosses and been looking at the QR model. Wondering how i can get to fit.

Has anyone done this?
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Draftbox [Knightrider008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen that exact same thing done...

Knightrider008 wrote:
Interesting you mention wanting to put a draft box on your felt IA. I have an IA4 size 54 without bosses and been looking at the QR model. Wondering how i can get to fit.

Has anyone done this?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Draftbox [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
It's certainly possible to customize a mount to either get a fully printed draft box on there, or to adapt a Trek/QR model to fit.

1. The bike is generally faster with the Fuel Cell installed, so that's winning.
2. The seat tube really is pretty thin, and it's unlikely anyone without extensive design skills and CFD could make you something that doesn't catch a shit ton of wind.

I would do it myself (have a shiv) except I already have this project going for my Felt IA because I don't have the rear bosses, and wouldn't use that Felt pile even if I did.

Not sure about 1. I vaguely remember someone on here testing it and finding the fuel cell slower than no fuel cell. Specialized does say that the fuel cell provides an aerodynamic advantage. But they don't say whether that's over no fuel cell or some other means of storage on the Shiv. I couldn't find a Win tunnel test for it, either.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Draftbox [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
I've seen that exact same thing done...

Knightrider008 wrote:

Has anyone done this?

In Reply To:

Do you have pictures or links to thta thread
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Draftbox [Knightrider008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope, local guy did it. I see zip ties and electrical tape.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Draftbox [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
chicanery wrote:

Not sure about 1. I vaguely remember someone on here testing it and finding the fuel cell slower than no fuel cell. Specialized does say that the fuel cell provides an aerodynamic advantage. But they don't say whether that's over no fuel cell or some other means of storage on the Shiv. I couldn't find a Win tunnel test for it, either.

Specialized says “aero neutral”.
Quote Reply