Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shipping wheel internationally
Quote | Reply
I was curious for anyone who has mailed wheels internationally what you paid. I am looking to ship my wheels to Australia from the US. I went on the estimated quotes and I was getting about $650 each way. I know that it's not going to be cheap. I estimated it at 29x29x7 at 4 pounds.
Quote Reply
Re: Shipping wheel internationally [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why so much? Should be able to get a wheel box from a LBS, and then it's a slightly oversize item, but I'd guess you'd be around $150, even with insurance.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Shipping wheel internationally [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I thought it would be around! I don't know what I filled out wrong on the quote thing that made it so crazy expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
I was curious for anyone who has mailed wheels internationally what you paid. I am looking to ship my wheels to Australia from the US. I went on the estimated quotes and I was getting about $650 each way. I know that it's not going to be cheap. I estimated it at 29x29x7 at 4 pounds.[/quote

Shipping in general has gotten crazy expensive. You should be able to find a smaller wheel box than that - 27x26x7. USPS should given the best fair for OUS wheel shipping. I think last time I did it was 60-70$ but that was like 6 years ago as well.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you saying that you want to ship the wheels to Australia and then ship them back to the USA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A box for a pair of wheels will measure 33" x 25" x 7".

With the wheels in the box, the weight will be about 7.5 pounds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For that cash you can buy a wheelset down under and sell it after use.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Priority Mail Express International to Australia is $108.70.

Please note that the maximum length plus girth when shipping to Australia is 97".

The box that I described previously is right at that limit, so you can't use a box that is even an inch bigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Shipping wheel internationally [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jim! Yes, I want to ship them to Australia, and then back home after my race. Thanks for the info. I think since your measurements were already at max, I didn't get the priority international option. Do you have any idea how long it would take to get them over there? 2 weeks? 3?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that Priority Mail Express International is guaranteed to be delivered in two days to most of Australia.

Are you shipping to a hotel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a reason that you don't want to take them on the plane with you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a house rented so I was planning on mailing there if I could work it out with the owner. I don't see a problem there.

I'm flying with my bike and it holds two wheels but I'm going 3 weeks before the race and I have a disc so I want to bring my training wheels as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much would the airline charge for the extra wheelset?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure. I've read that some have been able to take them as carry ons and they'll get put in the back. But usually they have to get checked. I have an extra wheel bag but it's the Zipp one and on their website it specifically says the bag is not meant for air travel.

I've already had one disc destroyed through airlines so I'm a little scared.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally, each person gets two pieces of luggage for free on international flights. A wheelset box could be one of them.

You are probably going to be charged $200 each way for your bike.

I'd put the disc on the bike to protect it.

You might also want to consider buying a pair of wheels from one of those UK websites that offer free shipping and have it shipped to where you are staying in Australia. You could sell it when you are done with it or ship/take it home.

Another option would be to simply train on your race wheels and don't bother with another set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have travelled a lot with a Zipp super 9 disc as a carry on. The reason I do this is that my bikebox has a solid pole to prevent crush damage, but this pole can't be used if a disc is in the box.

Carry on has never been a problem. Nobody has ever even questioned it. I just try to keep it a little out of sight at the check in desk. I always remove the skewer in case they decide it may be a weapon and put in my check in luggage. I also take the tyre off to reduce a bit the size. I carry it in a Zipp single wheel bag. No issues. Fits into the overhead lockers of every plane I've been on without any issue. Too easy!
Quote Reply
Re: Shipping wheel internationally [Chri G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I do have a couple of questions. On one of my flights my max dimension for carry on is 9x14x22. I don't think my wheel bag will fit those dimensions. Additionally, you said you take the tire off to limit size, but if it's in a wheel bag how does that change the overall size of the carry on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree it doesn't meet official sizes, but nobody has ever asked me about it. Must have taken it in 20 or more flights, never a question. Because it is thin and so obviously light it does not attract attention.

Just do not proactively show it to the person at the check in desk - they are the only ones who seem to care about the rules.

Removing the tyres just makes the overall wheel diameter 5-6cm less which helps to get it more comfortably in the locker if it is a tight fit.

One time on a small plane the overhead lockers were far too small, the door was never going to shut, so I just asked the hostess to place it in the hanging locker - again no questions at all. I have seen other people also doing the same, like me nobody hassled them at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Shipping wheel internationally [Chri G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I may try this. As of right now, I only have the double Zipp disc bag so I'm thinking that's a bit too big. TSA never says anything about getting it through security? Did you run it through conveyor belt when you got screened?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The conveyor is sometimes a bit small, but it still fits if you send it through slightly tilted. But these guys are security, looking for nasty thing, they have no interest in how big your luggage is. It's the person at check in that you need to hide it from.

I actually plan to have a simple cloth bag made that is tailored quite tightly to the disc size to reduce the likelihood further of being pulled up.

Incidentally, wondering if the race in Australia you are heading to is the UCI Worlds in Perth??? I'll be there too (with my disc going all the way in the overhead locker).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried a Bike Box Alan?
My biggest question is traveling with a rear disc. I just can't see trying to take it as a carry on. If one person says no, you are screwed.
So what bike travel case is best if you have a disc?
Thx
Quote Reply
Re: Shipping wheel internationally [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ccassidy wrote:
Has anyone tried a Bike Box Alan?
My biggest question is traveling with a rear disc. I just can't see trying to take it as a carry on. If one person says no, you are screwed.
So what bike travel case is best if you have a disc?
Thx

Bikeboxalan with the anti crush pole left at home. Done this lots of times, and never had a problem with damage to anything. A BBA is pretty tough.
Quote Reply
Re: Shipping wheel internationally [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Scion soft shell and I've transported my disc in it before. Not super confident in it but it has worked the times I've done it..
Quote Reply