Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shipping a frameset question?
Quote | Reply
I need to ship a road frameset from NY to CA and I am unsure of the best way to do so. Can I take it to my LBS and have them pack/ship it, or at least pack it well so that I can ship it via FedEx or UPS? About how much can I expect it to cost if I had a bike shop pack and ship it? Thanks, any help is much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Shipping a frameset question? [LaCtri2016] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, you can take it to your LBS to have them box it for you. They would use a leftover bike box from their shipments. Some shops won't ship it for you. If that's the case, you would need to take it to a UPS/FedEx location. Be sure to insure the package for the replacement value. Boxing is typically $40-$100.

Shipping comes down to box dimensions, weight, and insurance value.

If you want to box it yourself, use bubble wrap, drop out spacers (rear and fork), and secure with tape. Do not place tape directly onto the frame as it could peel the paint. Make sure nothing can move around inside the box. Do not use peanuts. You can reinforce the box too. We see all sorts of DIY reinforcement (shoe boxes, part boxes,etc).

---------------------------------------------------
Oregon Ducks Custom Painted Jack Kane: http://kanebikes.com/...l-bike-galleries/787
http://www.kanebikes.com/ || Road & Triathlon Bicycles. Custom Painting. Carbon Repair. Restoration. HQ'd in North Carolina
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go to your LBS and ask them for a bike/frame box that will work for your size frame. If youre sending just a frame, I dont feel its worth paying a shop to package it (mine charges $50). For shipping, I usually use bikeflights.com (no relation just have found them to be cheaper than going through FedEx directly). You can add the insurance, etc when you fill out your shipping info. Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pack it yourself. Cut the box down as much as you can to reduce the weight. The "box" does not have to be rectangular or have 90 degree angles.

I use Priority Express Mail because you only pay for the weight of the package. There is no dimensional surcharge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If just a frame I ask my lbs for a box and I pack/ship. Entire bike, I ask my lbs to pack and ship. I think the last time they packed/shipped is was about $80 or $100 total.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pick up the box from the LBS and cut it to the smallest size.

I just had a frame crushed by fedex shipping back to a customer. The dropout spacer was broken in half and the rear stays broken off at the brake bridge. This is only the second frame I have had damaged in 10 years of painting so it is not a common issue with any of the carriers that I use.

I would suggest making a triangle out of cardboard that fits inside the rear triangle to strengthen the box in that area. Also I do not ever tape the fork to the side of the frame although that is how they are shipped to me quite often. I like to create a shelf at the top of the box on top of the frame that is taped to the inside of the box. I tape to the fork to the shelf and then when I close the box it is a nice small space seperated from the frame.
Quote Reply