Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shiner ride from Austin
Quote | Reply
Anyone signed up to do the Austin to Shiner ride in May? I just signed up and then spent an hour looking for a hotel!
Quote Reply
Re: Shiner ride from Austin [mmez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mmez wrote:
Anyone signed up to do the Austin to Shiner ride in May? I just signed up and then spent an hour looking for a hotel!

In Shiner? Good luck.

I've not done this ride in years, back when it was called the BASH -- Bike Austin, San Antonio, Houston. However, SA's contingent (from where I started) was so pitiful & Houston's too close to the Bike MS (then the MS150), that the organizers just had the ride leave from Austin.

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Re: Shiner ride from Austin [off242] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should have clarified - had trouble finding a hotel in Austin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are 2 hotels very near the ride start that sort of serve the airport folks: a Hampton Inn and a Marriott Courtyard. Surprised you had trouble finding room, unless you are looking to stay in town.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a few thoughts. I usually avoid big group rides, but this one is fun. There will be people at the front that will be hammering the whole way. You will see the most expensive tri bikes with people in full aero gear and you will see people in cut off shorts on cruisers.

For the hotel, I would stay in town and either ride out or cab it to the start. Austin is a great city, and you will be missing out if you stay near the airport. If you choose to ride to the start, just plan your route in advance. At that time in the morning, the roads will be pretty clear, but you will have some early morning drunks that are making it home.
edit: I have had many friends stay here: http://www.homesteadhotels.com/...lake-directions.html

You will be close to downtown, 3 bike shops, and many place to eat. If you want to cruise a bike around and not ride your road bike, Austin Tri Cyclist has some rentals that you can use to see some of the local sites.

Have fun, and buy extra beer tickets!

56-11...the only way to fly
Last edited by: runboorun: Apr 26, 12 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Shiner ride from Austin [runboorun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So there's a faster paced group? Any idea how competitive it is?

Thanks for the info.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a really fun ride, I did it last year. Not in the competetive group by a long shot, just rode for fun. Shiner is a pretty cool little town and I always like visiting the brewery. Of course you can't go wrong with some BBQ and free beer after the ride either. I would do it again this year if they didn't plan the Tour de Cure for the same day. D'oh!

@davempratt
Quote Reply
Re: Shiner ride from Austin [djastroman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Shiner ride from Austin [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm being dragged across the country for a wedding in some godforsaken hamlet called Buda, TX, whilst at the tail end of my IMTX buildup (and being forced to miss Wildflower, grrrr), which turns out to be the same weekend as the Shiner GASP. So, the hubs and I are going to fly in our bikes and do this thing?

Having done the king of all shitshow group rides, aka RAGBRAI, I've more than done my time in sketchy pacelines, dodging squirrelly riders who decide they have to pee and go shooting across the road just as you are trying to pass them, and generally people who have no clue how to ride a bike, and breaking 10mph is sort of a big deal because they are pulling a keg and a boom box playing "Kung Foo Fighting" on and endless cassette loop, but I digress. I'm still baffled at how I survived that rolling disaster.

I'm trying to avoid carnage. The sort of carnage that will leaving me hospitalized and unable to attend said nupitials and complete IMTX. The problem is, I'm like Ricky Bobby, I wanna go fast, but I've lost my nerve to ride in the big hammer packs, (and Karen the cougar can't fit in my bottle launcher, even though the hubby would tape a kilo of columbian bam-bam to my P3).

Questions....

Can a girl like me find open road, at any point in this event? Or will the roads be more clogged than my arteries after a KFC bender?

Is it bad form to leave "early", like say 6:30 and just hit it before the trains leave the station? Is it even light out at 6:30am in Austin in May? I'm leaning toward this.

Homegirl needs a good training day, but no ER visit. Anyone who has done this ride, give a holla
Quote Reply
Re: Shiner ride from Austin [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the shiner ride was my first century a few years ago. it tends to be upwind the whole way, which makes it obviously much harder. maybe you'll get lucky though with the wind. i don't remember ever feeling in danger. it's a fun ride!

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The WTC races you are doing have crowded bike legs. Would be hugely beneficial if you develop the skill of 'not giving a F' about a few goobers riding around you. easy to dodge =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hahaha Jack. yes, i've been goober dodging around IM's for like 15 years with no issues, but these rides tend to be a little more no group riding skills / paceline skills. besides, i don't paceline in IM, and i'm not worried about stupid, well except at the aid stations, lots of stupid going on there.

RAGBRAI was a whole nother level of insanity. 10-20K people on one 70 mile stretch of huge rollers, with food and beer stops every few miles. maybe i'm projecting my RAGBRAI experience on Shiner. i must have said "on your left", literally 100 times every day.

i just want some free, open road to go hammer on for a few hours. and drink beer that the end. is that too much to ask :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why no just start 10-15minutes after OR before the start?

Using the ride as my last long ride pre-IMTX too. I have heard nothing negative about the ride.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Shiner ride from Austin [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, i'm thinking 15 minutes BEFORE, the ride start. starting after, it would be passing non-stop and i prefer to not have to deal with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sto wrote:
yeah, i'm thinking 15 minutes BEFORE, the ride start. starting after, it would be passing non-stop and i prefer to not have to deal with that.

Start a little bit early or with the front of the pack and you'll be fine. This ride is not that huge...maybe a couple of thousand? Also, since it usually is headwind most of the way, the people you want to dodge will end up behind you. It's a good ride. Plenty of wind, chipseal, and some rollers. No major climbs that I remember. That last bit coming into Shiner was a bitch the year I did it, but then there is beer, so ... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone doing the ride tomorrow?

I'm planning to start about 30 mins early on my TT and try to hammer for 100 miles. I assume I'm solo and hopefully I can beat most of the traffic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it a few years ago as my first century. Just like IM the first 20 miles or so are a little crowded but if you are pushing it then it starts to thin out. Bumpy course though, not sure if I would do it again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's great riding in Buda - it's not so bad! Short ride to either Austin or San Antonio.

Shiner rider is awesome - I started at the end of the group two years ago and once you get 20 miles in or so it strings apart and is not so bad at all once you get past the initial packs or they break up. I wish I had started closer up front to have some fast people to chase.

Rusch Racing | website | @maggieru | Instagram
Ask me about: Alto Cycling | Cuore | Base Performance | XTERRA Wetsuits | Cadence Run Company | First Bourn. Coached by: Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: Shiner ride from Austin [dseiler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before that it was the GASP ride - Greater Austin to Shiner Pedal. They used to have funny shirts for the event.
Quote Reply