Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano bottom bracket cap removal
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to replace left crank on shimano 105s. There is a plastic cap on the bottom bracket. Do I need to buy the BB tool just for that? Or can something else remove it?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano bottom bracket cap removal [trilove12345] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. No need for that. Just a really big allen key or a pair of pliers. When you'll unscrew the bolts on the side of the arm crank, it shou be easy to "unscrew" the cap.

Good luck!

-D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this bottom bracket tool: http://www.amazon.com/...owtech/dp/B009W68CCQ

But I also bought this one because I have a Stages power meter and it's super handy to just use this and an allen wrench to swap between bikes:

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
read this first: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...set_How-To_3074.html

as for your question, there's a tension-preload "cap" on the LHS crankarm. You should really uninstall this using the proper tool, which is cheap ($3 ish) and can be obtained from your LBS. This is NOT part of the BB cups as those are either threaded into the BB of the bike or pressed into the BB of the bike.

If you want to remove the actual BB, you'll need special tools.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano bottom bracket cap removal [DavidBL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavidBL wrote:
Nope. No need for that. Just a really big allen key or a pair of pliers. When you'll unscrew the bolts on the side of the arm crank, it shou be easy to "unscrew" the cap.

Good luck!

I don't have big enough Allen wrench. Do you grip pliers onto cap or just open them up and turn?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano bottom bracket cap removal [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Handy handy find, my running across this thread. I was in a bike shop just this Saturday asking about how to get this part. His catalogue didn't list it and he was going to call his supplier to see if he could get one. Kinda wish they just shipped the Stages PM with the tool.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trilove12345 wrote:
DavidBL wrote:

Good luck!

I don't have big enough Allen wrench. Do you grip pliers onto cap or just open them up and turn?

Insert a dime and turn it with the pliers.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just open them and turn. Make sure to unscrew the bolts on the side first.

-D
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano bottom bracket cap removal [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice...

another "field-expedient" method: an 8mm and 5mm hex will wedge in there together and grab the teeth just fine

Carl Matson
Quote Reply