Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Shimano Direct Mount brakes, brakes are rubbing, can't adjust clearance
Quote | Reply
I noticed that my rear brake pads are rubbing against the tyre. Oddly enough I don’t hear the rubbing sound on the home trainer, only when I am outside and usually at mid to slow speed and when climbing.

I am running a Shimano Ultegra Direct Mount BR-R8010 rear brake that is actually mounted to the bottom of the bike frame.

I read up on the Shimano manual and it says to adjust the "self-locking nut". However, there is none on my bike.

I read somewhere on a forum that these brakes have incredibly small clearance and one person suggested to remove the spacer between the callipers and the brake pads. So I removed these on both brakes, and while it’s not rubbing as much, I still hear some rubbing noise when I am on the road.

My tyres are not perfectly true so that is part of it, but as you can see in the photo the brake pads the clearance is ridiculously small.

Here are photos of everything:

Any suggestions on what to do?? Should I leave the spacers?

FYI the cables are brand new Jagwire Pro Elite. I had the bike professionally assembled at a shop.

Last edited by: gazoome: Feb 18, 18 14:00
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Direct Mount brakes, brakes are rubbing, can't adjust clearance [gazoome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it is in fact rubbing on the tyre then do not ride it.
The cable is routed wrong.
This is causing friction and your brakes are not releasing fully.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Direct Mount brakes, brakes are rubbing, can't adjust clearance [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:

I hope not. I just paid 367 dollars to get the bike assembled by one of the top bike shops in my city
Last edited by: gazoome: Feb 19, 18 2:09
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Direct Mount brakes, brakes are rubbing, can't adjust clearance [gazoome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gazoome wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

I hope not. I just paid 367 dollars to get the bike assembled by one of the top bike shops in my entire country.

Maybe take it back there and get them to set the brake up properly?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Direct Mount brakes, brakes are rubbing, can't adjust clearance [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
gazoome wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

I hope not. I just paid 367 dollars to get the bike assembled by one of the top bike shops in my entire country.

Maybe take it back there and get them to set the brake up properly?

Let's see if someone can come up with a fix. I went back there like 3 times already after they did my bike. I think they're getting tired of me.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Direct Mount brakes, brakes are rubbing, can't adjust clearance [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is also missing a screw from the front derailleur guide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
first thing you shd do is to move the shim thats i next to the braking shoe to the OUTSDIDE
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Direct Mount brakes, brakes are rubbing, can't adjust clearance [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R2 wrote:
first thing you shd do is to move the shim thats i next to the braking shoe to the OUTSDIDE

Can you explain this more? What's a shim?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When u unscrew the pad holder put both washers outside the arm
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Direct Mount brakes, brakes are rubbing, can't adjust clearance [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R2 wrote:
When u unscrew the pad holder put both washers outside the arm

I see. I will try that. But that make the brake clearance smaller, so how would it fix the problem of the wheel rubbing against the brake pads?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No currently you have one inside next to pad holder and one outside, you need to have two outside
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5cRzvw5r7M

You may need to increase your spring tension.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Direct Mount brakes, brakes are rubbing, can't adjust clearance [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:

That is exactly the brake system I have. However, there is no CB90 quick release as you can see in the photos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does your bike have horizontal or vertical dropouts?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Direct Mount brakes, brakes are rubbing, can't adjust clearance [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:

Look at the photos. I am not sure what you mean. It's a Shimano Ultegra Direct Mount brake system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gazoome wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

That is exactly the brake system I have. However, there is no CB90 quick release as you can see in the photos.

I have the same setup as you, without the CB90 the only way you can adjust clearance is by releasing the cable from the brake and try to clamp it down again with the right slack. Order the quick release and have it installed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have heard of a few other people with this issue. I know one of the Cyclingnews guys had to shave a mm off each brake pad to allow for the proper clearance. Maybe try that?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Direct Mount brakes, brakes are rubbing, can't adjust clearance [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why go trough the trouble of shaving the pad when having and adjuster will allow to set the clearance with a few turns?
The brakes open wide enough to allow a 25mm tire to go trough so I don't think is a matter of the brakes not opening wide enough, is just that he can't adjust them. The adjuster will also be useful as the pads wear down during their life.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Direct Mount brakes, brakes are rubbing, can't adjust clearance [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are some instances out there where the user also has very wide rims and the caliper was not opening wide enough with or without the adjuster. They shaved 1mm off each pad and it worked to provide the required clearance to prevent rubbing. It is just something to consider
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Direct Mount brakes, brakes are rubbing, can't adjust clearance [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
titemple652 wrote:
There are some instances out there where the user also has very wide rims and the caliper was not opening wide enough with or without the adjuster. They shaved 1mm off each pad and it worked to provide the required clearance to prevent rubbing. It is just something to consider

Thanks everyone.

All my wheels/tyres are 25mm. The Shimano Direct Mount should be compatible.

But you are right, I am missing the adjuster. I just spent 360 dollars to get this installed, no way I am spending more money on this bike.

Is there any way to adjust them slightly without the adjuster or having to file the pads?

I will put both spacers on the outside as someone here suggested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you unhooked the cable yet just to see what the full open position is? That bend in the cable seems a bit funky. As you can see in the drawing, it's not intended to be like that. Plus, seems like having that bend would cause some weird tension when braking. It's really just a case of rotating the little screw/clip that locks down the cable if I'm not mistaken.

I'm far from an experienced bike wrench and I've adjusted my brakes plenty of times for different width wheels. I wouldn't be too concerned resetting the cable and not having it attached should show you the limits of the brake width more easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gazoome wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

Look at the photos. I am not sure what you mean. It's a Shimano Ultegra Direct Mount brake system.

The rear dropouts are where you install the axle of your rear wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Direct Mount brakes, brakes are rubbing, can't adjust clearance [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From your photos in your original post.
The brake pads are positioned incorrectly, there are obvious rub marks on the sidewall of the tyre.
The cable housing is routed incorrectly.

The cable appears loose even though the brakes are close to the rim so something is wrong, check the pivots on both sides for free movement a well as checking the interlock mechanism for free movement.
Fit an adjuster.
Re-position your pads.
Maybe set to high tension spring position.
Re-route the cable the correct way.

Use the liberal free gun laws in America and go and shoot the idiot that installed this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I followed everybody's advice.

I adjusted the braking tension using the cable itself. It took me almost an hour to get it exactly right. Now it's working :)

In the process of pulling the end cable, I accidentally took off the end cable cap.

I torqued the screw to 6 newtonmeters.

Here are photos. Everything good?

Last edited by: gazoome: Feb 24, 18 12:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By pulling off the ferule, it looks like the cable is beginning to fray. That's not a problem in and of itself, but it looks like there's almost no cable being bitten by the screw. I wouldn't trust that.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply

Prev Next