Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano 9000 standard to compact conversion, shopping in London, Pikes Peak
Quote | Reply

I've got a few questions and hopefully this thread will give us all a break from the Dimond drama. My thread has component questions, London travel and riding Pikes Peak!

My road bike has Shimano Dura-ace 9000 with a standard crank and 12-28 in the back. I'd like to put a 34 inner ring on the front and a cassette with a 32 in the rear. I plan on riding Pikes Peak this summer and that seems to be the gears people recommend.

Would the 52 big ring be to big of a jump then? Should I also change that to a 50?

Is there a Dura-ace long cage derailleur or some sort of conversion so I can use a 32 in the back? It would be nice not to have to buy the newest Dura-ace R9100.

I'm also going to London for a few days this summer. Does Wiggle or any other bike shop have an actual store that I could visit and purchase the parts needed? I don't know if they offer the same price as online in the brick and mortar shops.

Has anyone done Pikes Peak with just a 34/28?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 9000 standard to compact conversion, shopping in London, Pikes Peak [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Pikes 2 years ago and am going back this summer. I did it with DA 9000 and will do again :)

34 in front is great. 52 is fine. Shifting for me was touch and go, but you need to make that shift about 3 times on Pikes. Or one if you want (at the top). I did it. Again it's not going to shift as smooth all the time as 52-36, but it will shift. Sometimes it shifted perfect.

32 in the rear is fine with a std. RD. I did it. It shifted perfect. You do not need a long cage RD.

You can't ask about gearing ratios without providing a w/kg. I've ridden several other HC climbs and they are generally long and relentless, but not super steep. Pikes is STEEP. I rode Pikes hard (for me) and was in the 32 probably 90% of the time...or more! Pikes is incredible and if you aren't at least 4w/kg it will suck real bad with 28 in the rear. I was pushing 3.5-3.6 w/kg on the climb and was running 70 for cadence a lot with the 34-32. My knees hurt by the time I made the top.

That said many folks make the climb and survive with sub optimal gearing. But it's a lot more enjoyable with correct gears.

If you aren't at least 4w/kg or even 4.5 FTP you may want to consider a 34 in back. Wolf Tooth makes an adapter so you can still run a short RD.

Also make sure you plan for nutrition and weather. I rode from Manitou in about 2:45. Some spend double that and weather can get super sketchy mid day.

Edit: One thing I should add is there's fantastic cell service on Pikes. That makes doing it solo much less stressful.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Last edited by: cmscat50: May 1, 17 8:22
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 9000 standard to compact conversion, shopping in London, Pikes Peak [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If just for the one ride, just put the 34 on there and don't worry about the jump, you won't use big ring.
Lock off the big ring so you cant change into it, that will ensure that the too short chain won't cause problems and wind the B screw in enough to clear the 32.
Only thing you need buy is the 34 and only takes a couple of minutes to fit, put it all back how it was afterwards.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 9000 standard to compact conversion, shopping in London, Pikes Peak [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have a power meter, so I don't really know my watts. I spent last summer in Boulder and will move there in 3 weeks. So, I'll get to train on the hills around there at least. I rode Mt Evans last summer, but that isn't steep, just long.

I've been told about this https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...rs/products/roadlink which should let me use a 34 cassette without buying a new derailleur.

So now I guess it's just a cassette, chain rings and the wolftooth roadlink.

When you said you rode from Manitou, was that Manitou Springs? I'm wondering where I should start. Google maps gives two different ways up Pikes Peak depending on the way you go, car or bike. Is there a preferred route for bikes? Do you take a different way down or is it an out and back?

As I looked closer, Google has bicyclist going up Barr trail, so I doubt that's for road bikes. Do people ride their mountain bikes up the trail?
Last edited by: damn lucky: May 1, 17 9:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The historical "official full climb" and official "full" Strava segment starts at the roundabout in Manitou Springs yes. Unfortunately when I was there they had road construction preventing the official route from being ridden.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a horrible climber and at the time I did Pike's I was probably 183 lb at 5'10" and was nursing the 2nd day of a hangover, somehow I survived it with a 34-28 combo.
We started at the gate where there is parking.
https://www.strava.com/activities/677240306
Quote Reply