Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shifting gears with Kickr
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if shifting gears would affect the power calibration on Wahoo Kickr? The reason I'm asking is because when I did an 8 min FTP test I didn't realize that trainerroad would automatically change the resistance level on the kickr and I was in a gear that was too hard. So I had to shift gears a few times to get comfortable. My results of the test were good and showed that I made improvement but now I'm wondering if the gear changing may have altered the readings any. Thanks for any input.
Quote Reply
Re: Shifting gears with Kickr [mchadcota2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the Kickr is changing resistance based off your effort to keep the same power level, then changing gears has nothing to do with this. Depending on your cadence, the resistance changes to keep the same power output. The Kickrs power calibration is known to be off compared to other power meters. The purpose of ERG mode is to keep you at a specified power level no matter what gear your in

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Shifting gears with Kickr [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No it's not like erg mode, when you're doing an FTP test it tells you that when the interval starts it sets the resistance level at 3. So right when it started it got way to hard to push so shifted a few times till it felt right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there is a set resistance for the FTP test, then you must have been in the wrong gear at the start of the test.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Apr 21, 15 8:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I was definitely in the wrong gear. So does shifting to an easier gear have any effect on the power readings? I would not think it would but you never know with these things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would shifting have any effect on your test besides the power level changing based off your effort? If your power drops from shifting, then speed up by putting out more power. The purpose of the FTP test is to go as hard as you can. Did you not notice your power changing when you were shifting gears?

Last edited by: BryanD: Apr 21, 15 8:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Erg trainers are set to slope mode for FTP tests in trainer road.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Shifting gears with Kickr [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I realize shifting gears does not matter as far as power output goes. My question is, does it throw off the power calibration or anything? These things are so finicky when it comes to calibration and making sure you do certain things just right in order to have accurate power readings. im assuming the answer is no but wanted others input
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again, why would changing gears change power calibration? That would defeat the entire purpose of a power meter. The Kickr has it's own calibration test. The Kickrs power meter is known to be off anyway. Focus on riding and hitting your power targets. Changing gears does not affect a power meter, only your output power.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ill take that as a no. Haha! Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mchadcota2 wrote:
Ill take that as a no. Haha! Thanks

I love (not really) conversations like this with people at work. Every attempt at getting information is met with another question, attempting to show that you're stupid for not knowing the answer.
Quote Reply
Re: Shifting gears with Kickr [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha!! Yeah I realize I'm an idiot and that's why I'm looking for answers.
Quote Reply
Re: Shifting gears with Kickr [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one called him stupid or assumed he was stupid. I was trying to get him to understand changing gears doesn't affect a power meter, only power output

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When doing an FTP test on a Kickr, TR switches to "slope mode" rather than "erg mode." So rather than making the Kickr hold a certain wattage regardless of your cadence, it's more like riding out on the road in that you have to down shift to make it easier and shift up to make it harder. We do this so that you are free to ride at the exact wattage you are capable of putting out. Whenever you're starting a test interval on a Kickr, you want to make sure you're in a smaller gear though, so that when it is switched over to slope mode you don't have to push a huge gear and therefore huge watts initially.

Shifting is totally normal during an FTP test and should not effect your results at all (unless of course you start out in WAY too big of a gear and are forced to nearly stop pedaling by the increased resistance). However, it is important to make sure your bike and rear derailleur work well with the cassette on the Kickr before doing a test. Many times you can be just fine in erg mode (because you don't have to shift) but then once you switch to slope mode you realize your derailleur only lines up with a handful of cogs. For example, I ride a mountain bike on my Kickr often, which has an 11 speed rear derailleur. My Kickr has a 10 speed cassette. In erg mode, I can throw it in a cog that lines up and I'm good to go. However, in slope mode I learned the hard way in the middle of a test that there are not that many cogs that my derailleur lines up with, thus giving me poor results for that test. Hope this helps!

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: Shifting gears with Kickr [Trevor DeRuise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot Trevor. And thanks for what ya'll do at trainerroad. Been using for about a month and love it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
No one called him stupid or assumed he was stupid. I was trying to get him to understand changing gears doesn't affect a power meter, only power output

Yeah, but you could have also just answered his question in your first response back to him (much like Trevor did) and he would have had his answer hours ago and the thread would have been over.

Instead, you decided to try and be high and mighty and "teach" him by circle questioning him. Makes you come off poorly and doesn't get him any closer to an answer. Just answer his question next time if you know the answer...or don't.
Quote Reply
Re: Shifting gears with Kickr [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 4th post which was my 2nd post on the topic answered his question. Instead, he asked more questions. Each subsequent post of mine reitereated the answer to his question. But you knew that analyzing each of my posts right?

Last edited by: BryanD: Apr 21, 15 12:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are plenty of confusing terms but here is what I do whenever planning to perform an FTP test in TrainerRaod with the KICKR:

Whether you are doing the 8 minute, 20 minute, etc make sure the workout is paused or not yet started. Then click on the timeline about 30 seconds prior to the actual "FTP Test" segment. Click on play/start and pedal like normal. After 30 seconds as you pass into the actual test/tension change - shift into whatever gear feels sustainable for your test segment. Once you have that dialed in pause the workout. Then refresh the workout and start from the beginning. As long as you don't shift at all (nothing wrong with that but it would change your just accomplished "calibration du jour"), the next time you transition into the test segment it should be smooth.

It may seem like many steps but it only takes an extra minute and avoids any surprises.
Last edited by: MNrunner: Apr 21, 15 14:43
Quote Reply
Re: Shifting gears with Kickr [MNrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok as long as shifting gears around during the test doesn't affect the power accuracy then that's all I need to know. I should be good. Thanks everybody
Quote Reply