Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Shame of Being Married to a Mamil
Quote | Reply
So entertaining. Anyone recognize themselves in this? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...-Aged-Man-Lycra.html

The comment section is vicious. This is just a comedy piece.
Quote Reply
Re: Shame of Being Married to a Mamil [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's an amateur.... Not enough bikes or kit....
and who has the time to stop for pictures with the missus..?!?!

Good fun tho. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any article about recreational cycling in the UK press is basically guaranteed clickbait - for every MAMIL there's 2 or 3 drivers who start frothing at the mouth as soon as they see a pair of lycra shorts.

I'm pretty much the classic MAMIL (39 years old, 4 bikes in the garage, and as much lycra as the LBS), except I've been riding road bikes for 20+ years so like to think I'm a little bit cooler (but suspect nobody else cares). I live in the same area as the couple in the article, and I have to say it is absolutely astonishing how many guys my age have suddenly taken the sport up. You go to kids birthday parties and get chatting to other dads and literally seems like everybody has been for a ride that morning. You can barely drive anywhere on a sunday morning for the number of bikes on the road. I live on a road of ~50 houses, about half of whom are occupied by people over 60, and yet I've managed to get a group ride of 6 guys just from our road out before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If one has been living this lifestyle since his early 20s, does that still count as a MAMIL?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Shame of Being Married to a Mamil [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to think of MAMILs as middle aged men who have taken up the sport in the last few years, the type of guys who would have been golfers if it was ten years ago. I don't classify those who have been cycling for twenty years or so as MAMILs.
Quote Reply
Re: Shame of Being Married to a Mamil [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been riding bikes for 30+ years so if that makes me a Mamil, guess that means my wife is a Mawil.

shadwell wrote:

Oh, I don't know, pretty much anyone who wants to stay married? Seems to me that Jenny needs to get a bike and go join in the fun with her husband.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Dec 16, 14 12:08
Quote Reply
Re: Shame of Being Married to a Mamil [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
If one has been living this lifestyle since his early 20s, does that still count as a MAMIL?

You might get a little more respect from fellow MAMILs for your longevity. As far as any non-cycling/tri friends, family or colleagues go though, you're just another MAMIL. Being fast doesn't make any difference either - to anybody who doesn't do our sport, the idea of going out on a bike for 3+ hours is insane/impressive, they're not really capable of judging the finer shades of insanity/impressiveness between doing those 3+ hours at 16mph or 22mph.
Quote Reply
Re: Shame of Being Married to a Mamil [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At what point does the crossover to mamil occur, or is there a way to avoid that transition?
Quote Reply
Re: Shame of Being Married to a Mamil [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
I tend to think of MAMILs as middle aged men who have taken up the sport in the last few years, the type of guys who would have been golfers if it was ten years ago. I don't classify those who have been cycling for twenty years or so as MAMILs.
That's me!!

I took up triathlon last year after getting to 91kgs at the age of 44. Played golf since I was 30 after breaking an ankle playing football.

Now have 3 bikes, a fair bit of kit and gadgets and love it. All the golf gear was sold to fund the TT bike and 510 :)

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Shame of Being Married to a Mamil [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
That's me!!

I took up triathlon last year after getting to 91kgs at the age of 44. Played golf since I was 30 after breaking an ankle playing football.

Now have 3 bikes, a fair bit of kit and gadgets and love it. All the golf gear was sold to fund the TT bike and 510 :)

Cycling IS the new Golf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the article was contrived, boring, and a near carbon copy of about a dozen other articles over the last year. How about coming up with something original? Yawn...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Shame of Being Married to a Mamil [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shadwell wrote:
He's an amateur.... Not enough bikes or kit....

Good fun tho. :)

Dude should shave his legs.
Quote Reply
Re: Shame of Being Married to a Mamil [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
Dude should shave his legs.
And skip a meal....or two.
Quote Reply
Re: Shame of Being Married to a Mamil [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think he gets Mamil Toe in his lycra?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
karencoutts wrote:
So entertaining. Anyone recognize themselves in this? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...-Aged-Man-Lycra.html

The comment section is vicious. This is just a comedy piece.

I'm not sure what's worse, realizing that I'm in my mid 30's and can be considered middle aged or that my wife sent me this article while laughing her butt off.
Quote Reply
Re: Shame of Being Married to a Mamil [Squidbilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Squidbilly wrote:
BayDad wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
That's me!!

Cycling IS the new Golf.

Better yet, I heard someone in VT say that cyclocross is the new golf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
she could do better anyway whether she liked MAMILs or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Shame of Being Married to a Mamil [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zamm0 wrote:

Maybe he makes a lot of money

I thought those were staged photos and not necessarily indicative of the people in the story, anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Shame of Being Married to a Mamil [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSully wrote:
zamm0 wrote:

Maybe he makes a lot of money

I thought those were staged photos and not necessarily indicative of the people in the story, anyway.

The captions imply that they are the people in the story.
Quote Reply
Re: Shame of Being Married to a Mamil [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
This pretty much. I remember falling when learning to ride a bike when I was I think 5? Been riding ever since.

Cycling is new golf. Boss got himself a brand new Trek (walked into a bike shop with a Visa and asked for a bike Lace rides) and all the ass kissers followed and got themselves a bike to ride with him.
Quote Reply
Re: Shame of Being Married to a Mamil [kollac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kollac wrote:
Better yet, I heard someone in VT say that cyclocross is the new golf!
I think that is because you can ride your cx bike during more months than you can play golf in Vermont!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Shame of Being Married to a Mamil [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
Do you think he gets Mamil Toe in his lycra?

Mangina?

John Snyder @URNotAsCoolAsMe
Quote Reply
Re: Shame of Being Married to a Mamil [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In depth (slightly whiney) BBC article about the "Bikes instead of Golf" trend in UK:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/golf/30422698
Quote Reply
Re: Shame of Being Married to a Mamil [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't the accepted wisdom that light-colored pastel clothes make you look bigger, and that black clothes make you look slimmer?

Dude isn't exactly a fattie but he sure isn't the type of guy who should be wearing skintight pink jerseys.
Quote Reply
Re: Shame of Being Married to a Mamil [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jennie did look rather hot in pic where she was standing on the bike (helped by the fact it may have been getting cold - although she shouldn't give up the Zumba sessions too soon).
Quote Reply

Prev Next