Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Setting up Renn 555 tubeless (vittoria corsa speed tlr)
Quote | Reply
I asked Frank last fall if he'd heard of anyone setting up one of his discs tubeless and he said he had not and asked that if I got it to go to let him know. So I am... via a post.

My experience with road tubeless has been limited to 2 sets of wheels, 1) my HED belgiums set up with schwalbe pro-one 25s. These went on super easy and they've been rock solid and 2) I tried putting some pro-one 23s on an Oval OEM wheel set only to have them blow off at 90 psi and paint the walls with sealant. Lesson learned: while none of these are "tubeless rims" the HEDs had a bigger bead hook then the Oval. The Renn also has a sizeable hook so i had confidence it would work.

Supplies/Tools: needle nose pliers, bontrager sealant, soap spray, bontrager flash charger, converted stans valve core from a 650 mtb rim strip, crack pipe.

Tire had been sitting on the rim for about a month (i've found this helps a ton when it comes to getting it to set first time). filled it up with two ounces of sealant soaped it up, shot the flash charger and boom. 80 psi and and holding. I found zero side wall leaks, a very quick base of valve leak, but beyond that it held fast and firm. The weld/overlap on the rim opposite the valve hole never was an issue. Now getting it up to 100 psi... not so easy. Still trying to figure this part out. Solution lies somewhere in the crack pipe, my holding it and the pump firm, and pumping it. WIP.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Setting up Renn 555 tubeless (vittoria corsa speed tlr) [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But........why?
Quote Reply
Re: Setting up Renn 555 tubeless (vittoria corsa speed tlr) [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
latex pisses me off

and you never know when you want to enter a TT on zero training (or exercise)

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Setting up Renn 555 tubeless (vittoria corsa speed tlr) [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
latex pisses me off

and you never know when you want to enter a TT on zero training (or exercise)

I have to say based on the number of anecdotal stories I am hearing, I am not sure why one would trust tubeless on wheels that aren't tubeless. You have already indicated you had a blow-off on the Oval. Painting the walls is one thing, painting asphalt with latex, crashing, and possibly painting with blood/skin doesn't seem like something I want to do.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply