Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: September Swimming! [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was that Tall Chief, outside of Tulsa? This was my first year since 2011 that I missed it, bc I've moved away. I won 5 of 6 of those races, and I may have the 3 mile record.
Quote Reply
Re: September Swimming! [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that's it!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.3 mi run 1:02:59
1125 yd swim

felt a little stiff but happy to be in the pool.
5 x 100 on 1:30
2 x 150 on 2:15
300 on 4:00
25 kick c/d

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a great race, a great site, and a great race manager. I used to live in Tulsa/Jenks, and I worked very closely with the masters team there. Denise Smart, who really got this race established, is the driving force of the race. She does a great job. I hope you got one of the really cool turtle trophies!

I've moved to Fort Collins, CO. I swam with the masters team yesterday:

15 min w-u
12 x 50 @ 1:00, 2k-1sw build
IM/Free/Aerobic Set:
4 x 25 @ :30 IMO
100 free @ 1:25
4 x 25 @ :30 IMO
2 x 100 free @ 1:25...
(up to 5 x 100's)

100 IM @ 2:00
4 x 25 free @ :30
100 IM @ 2:00
4 x 25 free @ :30

CD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did get a cool trophy and yes, it's a cool race.

9.1 mi run 80:06, then 1025 yd swim (Straight, last 25 kick)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slept in.
4.6 mi run, 975 yd swim (950 free + 25 kick), lifted

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9 mi run, 1125 yd swim
run progressive by 3 mi ... 26:53, 26:41, 26:19

swim
4 x 150 on 2:15
25 kick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
300m warm-up (150 swim, 50 kick, 100 swim)
50000m in 1:14:18
200 CD

5500 Long course meters

This was only my 4th session in a 50m pool in 2017, after 7 months of spotty swimming sessions overall. I did probably 7-8 lake swims this summer, ~ 4500 each, with several breaks during each to chat. So, not a very productive 2017 in terms of swim training, or any training, really.

This is the end of my 4th week in my new home, at altitude (5000' or 1525m), after living at 700'/200m. This was also my first swim in 50m since moving, and maybe my 8th swim in these 4 weeks. I guess I'm pretty pleased with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been doing a ton of kicking on my back in a streamlined position which in theory should mainly help my back stroke, but I have found that the actual body "torpedo" position is more relavent to freestyle than kicking on my front with a board. I also started doing more kicks on my front, also in torpedo hands over head position underwater, coming up with a short breast stroke skull every 7 or 9 kicks for air. This also seems more relavent to freestyle than with board. Any commentary from you all?
Quote Reply
Re: September Swimming! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that some advocate the streamlined body position for kicking but for some reason I loathe it. Maybe just lazy.
I do think you gotta kick hard sets to get faster. I do a lot of descend and easy/fast sets.
I've been reading a lot about Popov and Phelps's kick prowess lately and wanting to kick more.

Dev, how do you think your kick technique is? There's a lot there...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saturday 7.5 mi run, 6 mi bike
Sunday 34.1 mi bike
today 9 mi run, 1075 yd swim

500 swim, 50 kick, 5 x 100 on 1:30, 25 kick

Quote Reply
Re: September Swimming! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't find you guys at the Tiki Swim. I didn't see your name in the results but congrats to Slowman for 2nd place 1.2 mile. Although he didn't appear for his award. Which, isn't a big deal since Tikis were not given this year, just lame ass mason jar beer mugs. Disappointed. Oh yeah, I was first in 2.4 skins 60+ division, but not by a lot. I made the mistake of following Bryan Buck out to sea rather than turn towards the harbor earlier. That harbor entrance always gets me - it's so deceiving! Ended up with about 4518 yards in 59:03 - a 1:19/100 pace. Water temperature was perfect, but the chop was heavy.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: September Swimming! [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job there steve, especially after going off so far. Looks like the race swam out pretty close this year with Alex going 49+?

Yes I was there, went out 1st for the 500 or so, got on a guys feet who was leading, and then my heart started going wonky. I slowed down and tried to get it to calm down, but at the buoy I pulled the plug. I was really bummed as it was super easy arm wise to sit on this guys feet. But I have other obligations now and I don't take chances. I was sick several days leading up to the race, so it was always going to be just get out there and see how I feel, oh well have to wait for next year to get my sub 30 swim I guess.

Dan went good he was just a few minutes behind the guy that I was ahead of last year. It was his first swim in a long time and he is stoked now. No muss, no fuss, just get in your car with your swim gear and you are in and out in a flash. I saw you come in, figured you were right at an hour or so, saw in the results a 59+.

I saw Julie Moss there along with a few other triathletes. Kurt Madden who was in your AG, but not your zip code in the race.

So Dan and I are all dressed up with no where to go, any OW local swim races left this year?
Last edited by: monty: Sep 18, 17 8:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer about your heart acting up. I get a-fib attacks now and then (happened at Waikiki). It always seems to last under 3 minutes then good to go full speed afterwards. Seems triggered when hr goes over 150, but not always. I mean rarely ever when under 150, but every time it happens, my hr just prior is over 150. I've had it go over 170 with no attack, so... who knows. I'm correlating with other factors and it seems hydration may be one, but drinking a lot, like big gulps during a race seems to trigger it. So I try to stay well hydrated with small sips often.
Wish I could have caught up with you two.
There's a Nadadores sponsored 1 mile swim in Lake Mission Viejo coming up. I'm not doing it as I'm on a team for the La Jolla 10 mile relay this coming weekend. We're a team of 5, with Heidi and I likely the quickest. Look for team, "Nacho Libre"

Last edited by: HalfSpeed: Sep 18, 17 10:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crap, I have a training camp this week that goes to Sunday night, anything else?

And I hear you on the A-fib thing, but that is not what I get. And I pretty much know why this time around, I was still sick a bit, on the downside to recovery, but not completely better. Felt ok, but of course you never know until you put your body under pressure. Good luck in the relay, we should get our own 60+ together for one of these events.. I know some guys... (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6.5 mi run: 1 mi w/u, 1 mi @ 7.2 mph + .9 @ 7.3 mph, a couple tenths easy, 1 mi @ 7.3 mph, a couple tenths easy, 2 mi (1 @ 7.4, 1 @ 7.5)
2450 yd swim

50 kick
200 fast 2:30
2 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
2 x 200 fast on 4:00 (2:30, 2:31)
2 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
3 x 200 fast on 4:00 (2:31, 2:32, 2:33 :P)
4 x 100 c/d first two on 1:35, second two on 1:30

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice little swim this AM in 64 degree water. Swam through the Portage, where waves pushed me into the reef a few times (no injury) to Seal Rock. There, I swam the Crack and the Elbow, met the pod, then reversed track through cracks, elbows and portages and finished. Dark enough now, we wear small lights on our goggle straps. 2580 yards in 37 minutes.

I ran 4 miles at lunch in new shoes - Hoka Hupana. I think these will work for non-technical SwimRuns - just sand and pavement running. I felt good and Strava says I PRd a segment with a 5:18 pace (only 0.2 miles, but near the end of the run - 1:18). I'm not sure I can really run that fast.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.3 mi run: 1 mi w/u, 1.59 mi @ 8:20, .31 easy, 1.5 mi @ 8:13, .2 easy, 2.5 mi @ 8:06, .2 c/d
3725 yd swim

500, 450, 400, 350, 300, 250, 200, 150, 100, 50 (50 kick after each)
3 x 100 on 1:30
150 on 2:10
25 kick c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, after another setback (Harvey argh), I'm back in the swing of things. Both of the pools I utilize are back open and I finally got my fan back from home remediation duty so I'm back on the trainer.

In the meantime I have been able to continue getting my run mileage back up and will hit 50 mpw this week.

Big news for me is that I finally bit the bullet and signed up for IMTX to give it a run at Kona. So hopefully no more setbacks for the next 8 months!
Quote Reply
Re: September Swimming! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8.5 mi run last 3 mi 8:13, 8:06, 8:00

thought I had 10 min to swim but the lifeguard informed me I only had 2. I did 100 yards. I think that's the shortest swim I've ever done.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Workouts this week up to this point

M
2k swim (20x100 on 1:40)
5 mile recovery run
T
1 hr trainer w/ 4x6' @105%
5 mile recovery run
W
10 mile easy run
5 mile recovery run
2k swim (500w/u, 15x100 on 1:40)
Th
5 mile recovery run
2.2k swim (400w/u, 4x(100 pull, 50 kick), 10x100 on 1:40)

I'll do 15 mile long run tomorrow morning before heading out of town, with just a 5 mile run Sunday when I get back. I may be able to squeeze in a swim at lunch tomorrow depending on meetings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today was a short sim limited time, so I did some quality:

4 x 200 warmup, mixing free, strokes and kick
10 x 50 @ :55, holding Best average (:30)
200 with snorkel, 25 kick, 75 swim
20 x 25 @ :30 as fly-back-br-kick-5 free -1 kick @ :30, 95-98%
400 cool down

Short course yards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yesterday 10k run 53 min

today 9 mi run, 2425 yd swim
3 x 3 mi 25:28, 25:10, 24:55

swim was 2 x [5 x 100 on 1:30 + 50 kick] then 1350 mixing free, elementary backstroke, sidestroke, and kick :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a fun, challenging weekend:
Saturday - Semper Fi Tri in Camp Pendleton. Air was cool, water was 67. I wore no wetsuit & stood around freezing until my wave started. A short swim, I clocked about 1000 yards and I was first out in my wave and 4th best swim overall in 11:23. Two guys beat me to the first buoy and paced with me to the second. The guy on my right kept bumping me. I saw the next turn buoy coming up so I accelerated and swam closer to it (a right-shoulder turn) and I swam this dude straight into it. On my breath, I saw he stopped. Yea! The other guy was still pacing, but by then I was warmed up and took off. I had an OK bike. I haven't spent a lot of time on the bike lately and got passed just before half way through. I hit the run, a very convoluted, but flat run and slowly reeled him in, but just not enough and took second place. My GF, Heidi took first female overall for which she was awarded an ammo box. It's pretty awesome!

Sunday had us in La Jolla Cove for the La Jolla 10 mile relay. With a team of 4 women and me, well, I don't know how we did, but it was fun. I led off the first mile in 19:57, but it wasn't quite a mile, but there weren't many who subbed 20 minutes. I did see someone went 17 something, though.They allow pretty much anything, wetsuits, fins, etc. but I went mostly pure with a skinsuit. Water was also 67. 2 hours later my second mile began and I went even faster, but quite close with a 19:48. Followed that with a brunch of bbq chicken salad and a mai tai at Dukes. (How can you NOT have a mai tai at Dukes?)

Next weekend, an 18k trail run up at Pt. Mugu.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's a nice swim time. Congrats to Heidi, too!

Quote Reply

Prev Next