Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sentania (Scott Bowe) first amateur at IMAZ
Quote | Reply
Way to go! That was some serious fitness you displayed!
Quote Reply
Re: Sentania (Scott Bowe) first amateur at IMAZ [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. Impressive race. Congrats.
Quote Reply
Re: Sentania (Scott Bowe) first amateur at IMAZ [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wisconsin's got some fast dudes, yourself included. I'd say it ranks way up there compared to other big-tri states.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Scott....watched your progress all day and it was interesting seeing the sportstats predicted time which Marc Roy tells me is based on current pace. Everyone falls off of that because their current pace fades. Early in the run it had you at 8:46 predicted finish and you only "slowed" by 3 minutes. None of the pros were even able to pace that well. Solid day and related to your post on Danstu's thread, you seem to be figuring out the "elegant" way on limited time vs, the more brute force volume way!

Keep it up!

PS. Herbert....how about sticky-ing this thread :-). I think Scott's "train by elegance/science" might be quite interesting to many ST age groupers given their limited time, plus Scott is a very active contributor around here. Solid race in his third IM of the year, just a month after Kona!

Dev
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 16, 15 6:46
Quote Reply
Re: Sentania (Scott Bowe) first amateur at IMAZ [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Congrats Scott....watched your progress all day and it was interesting seeing the sportstats predicted time which Marc Roy tells me is based on current pace. Everyone falls off of that because their current pace fades. Early in the run it had you at 8:46 predicted finish and you only "slowed" by 3 minutes. None of the pros were even able to pace that well. Solid day and related to your post on Danstu's thread, you seem to be figuring out the "elegant" way on limited time vs, the more brute force volume way!

Keep it up!

PS. Herbert....how about sticky-ing this thread :-). I think Scott's "train by elegance/science" might be quite interesting to many ST age groupers given their limited time, plus Scott is a very active contributor around here. Solid race in his third IM of the year, just a month after Kona!

Dev

Thanks, just a quick respone while i pack and deal with a crying baby....only secind im this year. Just texas and imaz.
Quote Reply
Re: Sentania (Scott Bowe) first amateur at IMAZ [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats, Scott. Looks like you figured out the swim and run, that's an impressive result.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Keep it up!

Dev

Thanks, just a quick respone while i pack and deal with a crying baby....only secind im this year. Just texas and imaz.

Oh, I thought you took a KQ slot at Texas. Either way, impressive, crying baby, work and all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well played!

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Keep it up!
Dev

Thanks, just a quick response while i pack and deal with a crying baby....only second im this year. Just texas and imaz.

So, JOOC, did they give out top three or top five overall amateur awards, or was it strictly by AG??? IOW, did you get a big trophy for being first amateur OA??? I know diff races do it diff ways, so just thought i'd ask:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And a big F... Y.. to all those folks who say that the slowtwitch forum is full of posers. Nice work Scott Bowe, Rob Gray and all
Quote Reply
Re: Sentania (Scott Bowe) first amateur at IMAZ [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still need to work on the bike... not good enough.... only 2nd fastest split of the top amateur finishers. 1 chick beat you. Try harder next time.

I know you've had ups and down so nailing that race must have felt great. Nice job!

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who said Scott Bowe and Rob Gray aren't posers?

Great job, boys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
And a big F... Y.. to all those folks who say that the slowtwitch forum is full of posers. Nice work Scott Bowe, Rob Gray and all

LIKE!
Quote Reply
Re: Sentania (Scott Bowe) first amateur at IMAZ [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
Who said Scott Bowe and Rob Gray
aren't posers?

Great job, boys.

Herbert said it, so that's the rule...by the way, after being on the Jan Ullrich diet for half a year, aparently Rob went on the Eganski approved taper worm diet post Kona!

-----------

OK, some questions for Scott:

1. What was your swim background as a kid and did you only take up running when you started tri?
  2. How many hours do you train in seasons and out of season and in what typical training blocks
  3. How old are your kids....do you do any training pushing them around in running strollers etc?
  4. Height, weight, FTP
  5. Any special diet leading into the race for optimizing body composition etc
  6. You mentioned a lot of your bike training is indoors for time optimization or do you do it for controlled environment to hit the performance targets
  7. Do you also do lots of run training indoors for the same reaons?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

It was a nearly perfect day!
Quote Reply
Re: Sentania (Scott Bowe) first amateur at IMAZ [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No they mentioned it at the finish line, but no special recognition at awards this morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Sentania (Scott Bowe) first amateur at IMAZ [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
eganski wrote:
aren't posers?

Great job, boys.

Herbert said it, so that's the rule...by the way, after being on the Jan Ullrich diet for half a year, aparently Rob went on the Eganski approved taper worm diet post Kona!

-----------

1. What was your swim background as a kid and did you only take up running when you started tri?
  2. How many hours do you train in seasons and out of season and in what typical training blocks
  3. How old are your kids....do you do any training pushing them around in running strollers etc?
  4. Height, weight, FTP
  6. You mentioned a lot of your bike training is indoors for time optimization or do you do it for controlled environment to hit the performance targets

1> I started swimming competitively in sixth grade - so about 12 years old. Before that I just took swim lessons, but was encouraged to join the swim team when I was 8 or so, but I wasn't interested for a while. I ran cross country in 8th grade and hated it, and while I did T&F in high school, I focused on shot and disc, and would do my best to worm out of the team 1600m warm-up and drills every day.

2> My year round average for 2015 is currently around 14 hours per week, with IMAZ done that will probably slide down to 12.5 to 13 by the end of the year. Annual average since 2005 is 12.64 hours per week. The weekly volume is lower and pretty consistent outside of the specific prep time for IM, which is usually about 10 weeks before the race, and then I will ramp up to about 15 to 18 hours - depending on the week. The main difference between IM specific training and everything else is just the length of the long ride and run. In general my training is pretty boring, manageable and repeatable.

3> I have a 5 year old and a 7 month old. Not much stroller running this year as the 5 year old isn't interested, though he joined me a lot in 2012 and 2013, and the 7 month old wasn't old enough when it was warmer. Maybe next spring and summer - though I tend to do all my workouts before work and at lunch time so that when I get home from work - I'm done with training - there isn't much opportunity to have them join me.

4> Based on my last FTP "test" it was 305 watts, but that was back in May - based on my training leading into Arizona, I'd guess it's realistically 315 to 320. I had planned to do a CP test set about 10 days out of IMAZ, but I got knocked down pretty good by something the kids gave me.

5> No special diet - about the last 6 weeks or so I really focused on moderation - cutting out a lot extra snacking, etc. I spend a lot of the year around 175, and I wanted to race Arizona under 170 - which I managed to do by just a little bit.

6 & 7> It's purely time optimization - training and triathlon is a very selfish pursuit - it takes a lot of time from my kids and my wife (who also wants to have her time to train) - so I do almost 100% of my biking - even long rides on the trainer so that I can get them done as early in possible during the day. I do at least one run a week on the treadmill, to control the work I do. I often do some other runs on the treadmill to keep me from running too fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote sentania

1> I started swimming competitively in sixth grade - so about 12 years old. Before that I just took swim lessons, but was encouraged to join the swim team when I was 8 or so, but I wasn't interested for a while..[/quote]

I am particularly interested in this part. Given my 5th graders interest in our sport and ability to run he is starting to dabble in swim club. As an adult on-set swimmer I am hoping it is not "too late" for him to learn the right way. Do you feel that starting at 12 is "too late" for most or about right (in other words did it work for you but wouldn't work for most?)
Last edited by: ironmayb: Nov 16, 15 14:21
Quote Reply
Re: Sentania (Scott Bowe) first amateur at IMAZ [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's too late!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
I don't think it's too late!

cool. I'd hate to have him turn out like me.....

Plus, after growing up playing football, basketball and baseball through high school, I now loathe dealing with all the adult politics in his soccer and basketball pursuits. Really hope he gravitates to something else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
eganski wrote:
aren't posers?

Great job, boys.

-----------

4. Height, weight, FTP

1> I started swimming competitively in sixth grade - so about 12 years old. Before that I just took swim lessons, but was encouraged to join the swim team when I was 8 or so, but I wasn't interested for a while. I ran cross country in 8th grade and hated it, and while I did T&F in high school, I focused on shot and disc, and would do my best to worm out of the team 1600m warm-up and drills every day.

2> My year round average for 2015 is currently around 14 hours per week, with IMAZ done that will probably slide down to 12.5 to 13 by the end of the year. Annual average since 2005 is 12.64 hours per week. The weekly volume is lower and pretty consistent outside of the specific prep time for IM, which is usually about 10 weeks before the race, and then I will ramp up to about 15 to 18 hours - depending on the week. The main difference between IM specific training and everything else is just the length of the long ride and run. In general my training is pretty boring, manageable and repeatable.

3> I have a 5 year old and a 7 month old. Not much stroller running this year as the 5 year old isn't interested, though he joined me a lot in 2012 and 2013, and the 7 month old wasn't old enough when it was warmer. Maybe next spring and summer - though I tend to do all my workouts before work and at lunch time so that when I get home from work - I'm done with training - there isn't much opportunity to have them join me.

4> Based on my last FTP "test" it was 305 watts, but that was back in May - based on my training leading into Arizona, I'd guess it's realistically 315 to 320. I had planned to do a CP test set about 10 days out of IMAZ, but I got knocked down pretty good by something the kids gave me.

5> No special diet - about the last 6 weeks or so I really focused on moderation - cutting out a lot extra snacking, etc. I spend a lot of the year around 175, and I wanted to race Arizona under 170 - which I managed to do by just a little bit.

6 & 7> It's purely time optimization - training and triathlon is a very selfish pursuit - it takes a lot of time from my kids and my wife (who also wants to have her time to train) - so I do almost 100% of my biking - even long rides on the trainer so that I can get them done as early in possible during the day. I do at least one run a week on the treadmill, to control the work I do. I often do some other runs on the treadmill to keep me from running too fast.

I think that part of your entire post in bold is the key one for any young parents trying to pull off triathlon training. Once one gets home from work, it's really hard to head out to train. It's either early morning, lunch or nothing. Thanks for all the answers. It looks like your wattage was around 4+ W per kilo for race day. That seems like a nice fast time for that level of engine*body composition. Well done. It sounds like you got the most of the body on race day. Seriously, following your "predicted time" on race day and seeing no fade was impressive...Sanders, Starky, McMahon, Rapp, all these guys had more "fade" then you, but at the same time, in fairness to them, they are also dealing with tactics around them versus an ITT.

Good luck in the head to head next year with guys like Danstu, Sam Gyde, and maybe Antonio Colom (hopefully he is not back) in Kona!
Quote Reply
Re: Sentania (Scott Bowe) first amateur at IMAZ [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:

I am particularly interested in this part. Given my 5th graders interest in our sport and ability to run he is starting to dabble in swim club. As an adult on-set swimmer I am hoping it is not "too late" for him to learn the right way. Do you feel that starting at 12 is "too late" for most or about right (in other words did it work for you but wouldn't work for most?)

Sounding in on this: 12 is not too late, especially if there is talent. My husband didn't start swimming on a team until around that age; he ended up winning California state titles in high school, going to JR nationals, swam at a D-1 college. However, knowing the vast number of injuries he suffered from adding too much volume too soon (which I think he was pressured to do because he was "behind" relative to other kids), I do think earlier than 12 is ideal. I'm a terrible adult-onset swimmer, so i'm pushing the kids to start as early as possible.
Last edited by: Jwizzle: Nov 16, 15 15:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very well done! that is good fitness for the amount of hours invested!

keep the good work!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
In general my training is pretty boring, manageable and repeatable.

So many people just have a hard time believing this but it works.
Last edited by: logella: Nov 16, 15 15:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for ruining me thinking of Carlos Santana every time you post.

Oh, and nice race!

Is this an AMA? If so, what's your trainer setup? Trainer, programs, video, etc?
Quote Reply

Prev Next