Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Self-Testing Kit for vitamin D
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had any positive/negative experiences using self testing kits for Vitamin D? As an experiment I wanted to monitor my levels of vitamin D over the winter to see what happens to them. I was considering getting a 4 pack of this test kit and testing once a month (http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/testkit/#).

I'm not trying to do it because I think I am deficient (I have no obvious symptoms at the end of each winter) but just wanted to understand the levels in my body a bit more.
Quote Reply
Re: Self-Testing Kit for vitamin D [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off, I have no experience with the kits but have tested at < 20 #/& in the late fall even after a sunny summer. Vitamin D3 supplements are effective for me and so inexpensive than I just go ahead and take 5000IU per day from fall through spring and quit worrying about testing. This level of supplementation has never been shown to cause problems in any study so I'm not worried about over dosing.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Self-Testing Kit for vitamin D [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. It looks like your initial decision to supplement was taken on the basis of a test. I'd like to do the same. If I'm deficient I'll supplement, and if I supplement I would want to test again to see if it has a marked improvement
Quote Reply
Re: Self-Testing Kit for vitamin D [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
Thanks. It looks like your initial decision to supplement was taken on the basis of a test. I'd like to do the same. If I'm deficient I'll supplement, and if I supplement I would want to test again to see if it has a marked improvement

You're right, I'm lucky enough to have insurance that paid for both a pretreatment and post treatment test at the doctors. Living in north east USA where it's cloudy most of the fall, winter and spring it seems most of the older folks I know are deficient for at least a good part of the year. All that said, I'd just vote for 5000IU per day and call it good.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply