Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seeking input on Redshift aerobars
Quote | Reply
I'm sure some of you are using Redshift aerobars. I would appreciate your thoughts on them. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking input on Redshift aerobars [CrankyNeck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CrankyNeck wrote:
I'm sure some of you are using Redshift aerobars. I would appreciate your thoughts on them. Thanks.

I'm a big fan of both my Redshift quick-release aerobars and my dual-position seatpost, both of which I've had for about 1.5 years now and have so far used in two Olympic tris and two HIMs.

On the aerobars specifically, the ability to take them on or off the bike in 20 seconds or so is pretty amazing. I find the adjustability very good, though getting super low is inherently limited compared to some bar designs since the bars are located immediately below the pads, and getting super narrow is also inherently limited by the interaction with the stem, though you can angle in the grip portions to get as narrow as you like at the front (on both counts, just look at an image of the bars). The engineering and execution are both top notch. You'll see an occasional report of someone saying the aerobars wobble, and this just means they haven't tightened the quick release down enough--these things are absolutely rock solid when used correctly, and it's easy to use them correctly. Finally, customer service is outstanding. Redshift reminds me of forum favorite Flo in that regard--small upstart company that's really done its homework and has a deep customer service ethos.

Let me know if you have more questions!
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking input on Redshift aerobars [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a bunch, niccolo. Talk to me about the seatpost. Does it function well? Easy to adjust?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the redshift setup on my Neuvation road bike.

Nice setup, except I found out my wheelbase is a bit short for me in the aero position.

I'm between sizes on bikes and when I bought my Neuvation I could've gone 54 (w/ long stem) or 56 (short stem). I opted for the 54.

Well, it's always been good to me, except in the aero position, the shorter wheelbase revealed itself through a twitchy ride.

I decided to return the sytem. . . but not before I crashed, HARD. It looked like the Hulk bent the aero bars straight back.

I contacted Redshift, they accepted the return for a full refund! :-o

The seatpost does work very well though.

I feel that if I had a longer wheelbase road bike, this would've worked well for me as my eyes looking down at the ground would not have been in front of the front axle.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CrankyNeck wrote:
Thanks a bunch, niccolo. Talk to me about the seatpost. Does it function well? Easy to adjust?

Yep. When off the bike, it feels like the mechanism might be too firm, but on the bike, it's easy to adjust on the fly, while never shifting unintentionally. And it moves the saddle both forward and up to essentially maintain saddle to BB distance. It just works. It's not super lightweight, though, if that matters.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking input on Redshift aerobars [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear. No, I'm not too concerned with its weight. I'm way past the stage of worrying about a few grams, especially if it's something quite functional, which the Redshift system appears to be for me. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with this setup. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking input on Redshift aerobars [mgreen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your input, mgreen. One of the main reasons I'm interested in this system is that I cannot stay in the aero position for long periods of time due to neck issues. Thus I use a road bike for triathlon with aerobars simply to get me a little more speed on flat sections and to change position occasionally. Their quick removal system and adjustable stem just seem to fit perfectly for what I need. I don't think a short wheelbase will be a problem for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't purchased my tri bike yet, but I've thought a lot about going with an aero road bike, sized to me riding in the aero position.

If I were to do that, I'd seriously consider the Redshift setup again.

I just wonder how much time is lost there.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking input on Redshift aerobars [mgreen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreen wrote:
I haven't purchased my tri bike yet, but I've thought a lot about going with an aero road bike, sized to me riding in the aero position.

If I were to do that, I'd seriously consider the Redshift setup again.

I just wonder how much time is lost there.

Your position is the crucial variable here--if the setup lets you get into a pretty aero position from which you can produce reasonable power, that matters far more than the bike frame being slightly more aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CrankyNeck wrote:
Thanks for your input, mgreen. One of the main reasons I'm interested in this system is that I cannot stay in the aero position for long periods of time due to neck issues. Thus I use a road bike for triathlon with aerobars simply to get me a little more speed on flat sections and to change position occasionally. Their quick removal system and adjustable stem just seem to fit perfectly for what I need. I don't think a short wheelbase will be a problem for me.

Agreed, it sounds like a great setup for you. With a little practice, it's really easy to shift on the fly--you just hook your fingers under the nose of the saddle, and pop it up and forward or up and backward. And yet I've literally never had it move when I didn't want it to. Also, you can adjust the angle of the saddle, so that the TT position is more angled than the road position, I believe your options are zero through 5 degrees. Finding a saddle that works well in both road and aero positions is worth exploring, after demoing lots of saddles I settled on the Cobb JOF Randee, but that's a very personal decision.
Quote Reply