Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seeking input about a new saddle
Quote | Reply
I just got my Cervelo P2 professionally fit, and currently have a test saddle on it from my local shop. It's the Cobb 55 JOE. While it works, it seems like it's a little wide in the front for what I'm used to and it's actually not comfortable overall. Now, I'm wondering if it's because I haven't gotten used to the difference between a road saddle which I rode that was extremely skinny, or the fact that I just can't do the Cobb 55 JOE. That being said, I'm looking for several other options and opinions on what might help to be more narrow than 55 mm in the nose that will give me more comfort. I was recommended I look at the Bontrager Hilo Pro Carbon, but I'm not sure if that saddle solves my width reduction in the front. Ultimately, I think I need something between 35-45mm in the nose to feel more comfortable. Any recommendations are much appreciated!!
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking input about a new saddle [jwvenis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's interesting. I'm going to have a fitting later in the year and one of the things I asked is if they had different saddles to try. It seems like the fit and the saddle go together and, other than at a fitting, there doesn't seem a great way to go about finding a saddle. But maybe a fitting isn't long enough to know if you really get on with it.

55 is pretty narrow isn't it? It's hard to know because it seems different manufacturers measure at different points and not always the nose. But ISM do and the ones that are narrower aren't narrower by a huge amount - ISM saddle dimensions.

Was the saddle part of the fitting and is it possible you are sitting too far back on the saddle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bontrager Hilo. Everything else feels like it is pulling my hips apart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really thought I was going to switch to the new Fizik saddle...was about to order...then tried the bontrager Hilo pro....it's the most comfortable tri saddle I have ridden on...I love it...ended up getting the bontrager piece that attached to the saddle as well...fits my flat kit and a one or two bottle setup in the back...I would recommend trying it out.
Last edited by: zooropa: Aug 22, 17 3:56
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking input about a new saddle [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
55 is not narrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking input about a new saddle [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks...I am going to have my local shop get one in and see if it feels better. Maybe it's just me, but the Cobb JOE 55 is just a little uncomfortable for me due to width. I'm sure it works for many other people, but I know saddles are always personal preference. It appeared that the Bontrager Hilo Pro Carbon was more narrow in the front, and one of my only other options is to go with a more narrow saddle all the way back, and I'm not sure I want to do that either. Thanks for the advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking input about a new saddle [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It may work for some, but for me it's a bit too wide and my inner thighs rub on it and it's not comfortable. Maybe it's my placement, but I'm wanting to get something that isn't quite so wide in the front...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you have the Fifty-Five mounted? Is it level across the top? Try to level the front half (you can use a level app for your smartphone). If you are already there, try to tilt the nose down on the Fifty-Five a half degree or so to see if that affects the sensation of wideness. Another trick is to sit in front of it rather than on it - try moving it back a centimeter.

Another Cobb worth a look is the Randee. The nose is substantial but not as wide as the Fifty-Five.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking input about a new saddle [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
It seems like the fit and the saddle go together

Absolutely! Saddle height and related fit dimensions are really a reflection of the distance between the feet, pelvis, and hands. How you sit on one saddle versus another might result in very different dimensions but the pelvis is in the same place in space.

OddSlug wrote:
Was the saddle part of the fitting and is it possible you are sitting too far back on the saddle?

This is an excellent observation.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jwvenis wrote:
It may work for some, but for me it's a bit too wide and my inner thighs rub on it and it's not comfortable. Maybe it's my placement, but I'm wanting to get something that isn't quite so wide in the front...

My comment was "55 is not narrow".
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking input about a new saddle [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoops, I stand corrected.....sorry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jwvenis wrote:
Thanks...I am going to have my local shop get one in and see if it feels better. Maybe it's just me, but the Cobb JOE 55 is just a little uncomfortable for me due to width. I'm sure it works for many other people, but I know saddles are always personal preference. It appeared that the Bontrager Hilo Pro Carbon was more narrow in the front, and one of my only other options is to go with a more narrow saddle all the way back, and I'm not sure I want to do that either. Thanks for the advice.

For comparison the standard Hilo is about 45mm thru the nose. The adjustable version (not sure they still make it) went a little narrower.

Harder to find are Prologo tri saddles. They have several narrow tri saddle options that are similar to the Hilo shape with maybe a bit more cut out. They add a surface treatment that prevents sliding which can help for those that are very sensitive to saddles/position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a similar problem, and finally found one that works for me though a bike fit session. While not very light, weight is less of a concern for me given being on a saddle for many hours. It's the Koobi 232 here:

http://www.koobi.com/232t.aspx

It's the narrowest I've found yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck with your search. Here's some thoughts after sitting on one last night.

Out of town for work and I stopped by a shop with demo saddles last night. I sat on a JOF 55 for the first time ever after 7 or so years on ISM saddles.

A few things I noticed with the JOF 55:

1) I wanted to sit further back than it was designed for. I couldn't begin to get comfortable sitting as far forward as designed. Too narrow for me; it felt like I was sitting on the nose of a 'standard' saddle. Note, I have never felt an ISM saddle was too wide. Maybe I'm too wide.

2) Those seams. I'm pretty sure I could have counted the individual stitches on one of the prongs if I closed my eyes and concentrated.

3) The prongs were bent on the demo JOF 55. Not uncommon with ISM saddles, but easily fixable in that case. Since the front of the JOF 55 is joined, they couldn't be bent back. I pointed it out and they pulled a new one out of the package. It was also slightly uneven which is frustrating for a $200+ saddle.

4) I almost felt like it could be an okay road saddle for me. I have a Specialized Power collecting dust because the only way the sit bones were comfortable (and very much so) was to have the nose pointed up enough that my goods felt terrible after a riding when using the drops. Flat with a deep channel/cutout and not much of a nose does seem cool.

They had a Tritone as well. Since I was there I thought I would try it for fun. I have never sat so far off the front of a saddle before. I can't tell if I liked it...definitely took some pressure off. I need to dig around here and see what other people have experienced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Bontrager Hilo is 55 at the front as well...Just got a Comp and it's wider than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking input about a new saddle [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did see the Koobi's and thought about putting them on the radar. Question, what is the difference between the 232T & 232K? My guess is the padding/stiffness?
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking input about a new saddle [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looked like a comment above had the Bontrager Hilo Pro Carbon at 45mm width, is this incorrect? I couldn't find specs on Bontrager's website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume that the Comp and Pro have the same dimensions. I ordered a Hilo because I had heard the same (that it was around 45 up front). Disappointed that it's wider than I expected. I have not mounted or sat upon it yet though. I've got a new SC coming with a Hilo RXL and will compare the two when it arrives.

When I get home today, I'll get some other measurements on the Hilo Comp if anyone will find it helpful. I'm baffled by how difficult it is to get saddle dimensions. But then, maybe us tri-nerds are just too needy!

It would be great if width stats were published, much like stack and reach are for bikes now.

***Updated with some dimensions on the Comp. These are from Mike at Aerogeeks. I asked him for some dimensions and it looks like I'm mis-remembering the width upfront!

Here you go (id call this +/- 2mm)

At the nose: 53mm
70mm back : 70mm
100mm back : 90mm
180mm back : 130mm (widest point)
Last edited by: AKCrafty: Aug 22, 17 10:33
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking input about a new saddle [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the post above at 45mm is not correct? I think there is some adjustable room on the Pro Carbon to make it a bit more narrower, as described by my local shop, but maybe I'm wrong...either way, I'll have to keep looking and try to find what I can until I find the right fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those numbers are from the Comp. The 53 must be from the VERY tip. I got something more like 55 without squeezing.

My initial impressions compared to a Sitero and Cobb Max (both of which I've ridden) are:
  • It's more padded than a Sitero Pro, but (as expected) far less than the Max.
  • There's grip on the Hilo that is not on the other two (curious to feel that in action. I've never had problems with sliding around on my saddles)
  • Feels heavy. I have not weighed it to confirm the 353 g that's listed on the box.

Quote Reply
Re: Seeking input about a new saddle [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put that power saddle in the classifieds and I bet it sells in 1 hour.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply