Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Seattle Seafair Triathlon
Quote | Reply
Who is doing this race next Sunday, July 20?

I'm considering the Olympic course, but would need to carpool to Seward Park (I can help with gas money). Also, open to suggestions on what hotel to get within walking or short biking distance to the race venue. PM me for more info. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Seafair Triathlon [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There really aren't any hotels super close (walkable) to the race course.... I would race it, but have Whistler the next weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there.

Know of at least 1 local pro and a few other fast guys showing up. Should be some solid competition for a local race.

No help on hotel though. Not much that I know of down by Seward Park.
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Seafair Triathlon [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update, guys. I'm going to register. I'll make it work. Maybe I'll run into you J. Have you done this one before?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No hotels nearby. This is a fun race that brings in the fastest racers in the area. I usually volunteer and have done it a couple times. The course can be pretty crowded but the local community loves it. Have a great time!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Seafair Triathlon [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I signed up to volunteer. I'll be the good looking one so be sure and say hi :-)

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing this race for the first time. Not tapering or expecting results. It will just be a brick on Sunday on the way to a WTC race in a few weeks. I just want to see what the big deal is. This race really is that popular. I'm coming in over I90 so a little worried about bridge lane closures.... tempted to ride 20 miles in morning of the race. :-D Nope there are no hotels anywhere near the race venue (Seward Park). There's no parking either. Just street parking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recoverie-

great to meet you at the Blackhills Triathlon a few weeks ago! Seafair is a fun race. If is it a nice day - the ride is pretty cool - I know you are racing, but make sure to look right and left when you are on I90 - you will get some great mountain views. and riding almost into downtown on I90 is pretty cool. This is a big draw in part because of the seafair mentality - it is a HUGE Seattle event. The Oly run is two laps, that are basically flat except for one KILLER hill. Lake in that area can be deceptively cold too. And on the bike there are usually 1 or 2 no passing zones due to narrow roads.

If you search for places in West Seattle - you may find some stuff. a quick search - georgetown inn, airlane motel, star motel. Parking the morning of the race can be the biggest issue as it is all local streets. I would scope that out the night before so you have some ideas!

Have fun!

Dana

Quote | Reply
Will be there. First olympic, sounds like this race is huge! Parking will be terrible due to street only. Might try and ride in 5ish miles, call it a warm up!

Mason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could go for a b and b in the area. There are a couple. If you do get a regular hotel I'd go towards Renton. Traffic may be a monster this weekend with I-90 lane closures. Parking is always a bear there but I've found if I get there no later than 5:30 am it's not too bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why have I never heard of this race?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Seafair Triathlon [TriHanrahan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no may about it. If you are coming from the east side any further than Mercer Island forget about it. They are calling for 10 mile back-ups or more. Do not mess with this lane closure.

Getting from I-90 to Seward Park isn't that easy, but getting there from Renton (south) is very easy. Renton isn't the most scenic of places but it would absolutely be your least headache day-of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a fun race with a lot of new people doing their first Triathlon. Parking does suck so you might want to park a few miles away and back in. I would do it but I'm attempting Whistler the following Sunday. Might go down to cheer on people.
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Seafair Triathlon [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update, Jen. I'm registered. Looking forward to it! Thanks for volunteering!
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Seafair Triathlon [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dilbert, have a great race! This will be my first time, too. You may be on to something about riding in from 20 miles out. I'm going to drive in the morning of rather than look for a hotel Sat night. Maybe we'll run into each other. It will be a blast for sure!
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Seafair Triathlon [tridana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, great to meet you, too, dana, at Black Hills. Congrats on an awesome race! Loved that Xterra run course!

Thanks for info about looking for the mtn views. This will be my first time at this event. I know it will be great preparation for other events later this summer and fall. I'm going to just drive in the morning of rather than look for a hotel Sat night.

Are you doing this one?
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Seafair Triathlon [MasonEndurance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a great race, Mason, and a great time. Maybe we'll run into each other. Looking forward to this!
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Seafair Triathlon [TriHanrahan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info, TH. I'm going to drive in the morning of instead of getting a hotel Sat night. I'll miss 1-90 as I'll be coming from the Tacoma area.

Are you doing this?
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Seafair Triathlon [gironamo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info, gironamo! I'll be driving in the morning of and consider parking away from the site and just bike in.

Hope you have a great race at Whistler!
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Seafair Triathlon [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info, Jesse. Good to know!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there. It looks like its going to be a great race. Looking forward to it!

-mike
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Seafair Triathlon [racingmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There might be a little rain so don't be taken by surprise.

I'll be there when transition opens. No idea what my job assignment will be yet.

Have a great race!

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Seafair Triathlon [racingmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what did people get for distances for the olympic? trying to figure out how accurate my splits are.

swim: 1.14 miles (didn't swim so straight)
bike: 19.23 miles (lost GPS in tunnel so course should be somewhat longer than that)
run: 6.36 miles
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Seafair Triathlon [Dnowak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim: 1:02
Bike: 19.3 (not sure if that includes tunnels)
Run: 6.34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That weather really wasn't fun to be standing around in. I got there at 4:30 am and it was starting to rain around 5:00. It was misty on and off all morning. It felt like the temperature actually dropped by the time I left at 10:30.

I was body marking then in transition directing runners/bikers as best I could. It got crazy in there since it never closed and there were so many waves.

I learned a few things while body marking:

1. People in their 20s have no problem remembering their age.
2. People over 40 had to think about it for a couple seconds first.
3. People over 50 would answer me then say, "That can't be right." or something similar.
4. Shaved calves are easier to write on.
5. You really can get loopy if you breathe in a lot of Sharpie fumes.
6. I'm terrible at predicting a person's age.

Jen

Quote Reply

Prev Next