Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sea to Summit Triathlon....An Ironman Alternative.
Quote | Reply
Here is a great article from Triathlete Magazine on some alternatives to Iron Distance racing....full disclosure, I am the director of Sea to Summit.
http://www.s2striathlon.com

http://www.triathlete.com/...-alternatives_296149

Last edited by: Jeff Spicoli: Nov 11, 16 3:05
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon....An Ironman Alternative. [Jeff Spicoli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Post some pictures of your race on your site. It would help potential registrants get an idea of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon....An Ironman Alternative. [Jeff Spicoli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What am I missing? It looks at though you are charging $365 for a completely self-supported race. Roads are not closed for the bike--it's even unclear that intersections will be managed by law enforcement. Is the course even marked? One review of the race notes of the bike: "there actually is no defined route."

The "run/hike" is on a public trail open to what could be hundreds of other hikers on a nice day. Athletes must provide all transportation and nutrition/hydration, including paying a $28 fee to drive up Mt. Washington to bring athlete back down at the end of the race. Again, from the race review: "Because this race is unsupported, you are required to have a Sherpa. This is an individual who drives a car, transports all your stuff, meets you along the route to replenish food and liquids, and meets you at the summit to drive you back down."

Except for the swim, this could be done any day of the week at no cost. I'm all for low key "bare bones" races--at a bare bones price. Perhaps your website could do more to explain what the race is actually providing.

Love that area, but if I'm going to spend bucks for it, it would probably be for the run or bike up Mt. Washington.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon....An Ironman Alternative. [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The facebook page has lots of cool pics.
https://www.facebook.com/s2striathlon/?notif_t=page_user_activity&notif_id=1478106250976779
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer- I have zero association with race or RD.

My unsolicited opinion of this race is awesome. Did it this year 2016 and will return in 2017 reversing roles with my Sherpa so that she may experience it.

Tim Cronk
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon....An Ironman Alternative. [cobalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi TRI3.....
From an outsider quickly looking at the race it may seem this is a free flowing, non-organized event where you are left to your own devices. Nothing is further from the truth. I would have you read the two reviews on the website. This type of race doesn't resonate with lots of people who need the structure of an IM type race but it does resonate with people tired of the same old same old...hope this helps.
Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff - I believe his point is for almost $400 what value is being received, either real or perceived? Since athletes have to provide their own support, why not just do it as a training day?
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon....An Ironman Alternative. [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Jeff - I believe his point is for almost $400 what value is being received, either real or perceived? Since athletes have to provide their own support, why not just do it as a training day?

Yes, that is exactly the point. After having read through both reviews and the rest of the website, I was expecting a nominal fee--not $400.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this race last year as well. Was a fun time. Part of the fun of this race is the unsupported aspect of it. There are recommended routes to take and some areas that are " off limits" though. I will most likely be doing this one again in 2017. Oh.... and the turkey diner is great. I went up for seconds :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, at least from the Facebook page it looks as though the $365 registration fee gets racers a bib. Could you provide route maps and some idea of what the nearly $400 race fee provides? As far as I can see, the race takes place entirely on public facilities that are open to the public at the time of the race, with no closures, permits or law enforcement for traffic control. Are you using timing chips this year? In the past it's simply been hand recorded times, correct?

No doubt it's an amazing day. Hard to go wrong by finishing with a climb up Mt. Washington. Still looking like a very expensive training day to me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Mount Washington Hill Climb Bike race is $350.

http://recoveryourstride.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit Triathlon....An Ironman Alternative. [TDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The Mount Washington Hill Climb Bike race is $350.

You're kind of making my point here. Yes, it is $350. It is also held on the Mt. Washington auto road, which is closed for the event. The auto road is a private road, so organizers may have to arrange payment or donation to close the road. Drivers that carpool racers down do not have to pay the auto fee. The cycling event offers cash prizes ($1,500 for first male and female OA), and it is supported. It also offers a free, practice ride on another date, as well as an alternative weather cancellation date.

Sea to Summit is on open, public facilities. The auto road is not closed down for it. Instead, racers hike up a public trail. As far as I can tell, the racers, in addition to paying $375, bear all the costs of the race with the exception of bib numbers.

In contrast, Beach to Battleship, a full 140.6 point to point distance, used to run about the same cost. That included transportation for a point to point race, support, closing the highway for a section, EMS and law enforcement, great shirts and swag, chip timing, and in the early days, an awards brunch on a cruise ship the day after.

As I said, I'm left wondering why the "bare bones" Sea to Summit costs so much.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Well, at least from the Facebook page it looks as though the $365 registration fee gets racers a bib. Could you provide route maps and some idea of what the nearly $400 race fee provides? As far as I can see, the race takes place entirely on public facilities that are open to the public at the time of the race, with no closures, permits or law enforcement for traffic control. Are you using timing chips this year? In the past it's simply been hand recorded times, correct?

No doubt it's an amazing day. Hard to go wrong by finishing with a climb up Mt. Washington. Still looking like a very expensive training day to me.

A fair request. The silence is deafening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff,

I'm still working to line up my Sherpa for the race. How close is the race to filling up? This has been on my To Do list for several years and this may be the year if I can work out the logistics.

We camped in the area last summer and spending time there only fueled the desire more to do this event.

Also, how's the grade/climb up to the ski area at the end of the ride relative to climbing the Kanc from the east side?

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply