Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Schwalbe Ironman tubular: 22 latex or 24 butyl on Super 9?
Quote | Reply
Just had a good deal on Schwalbe Ironman tubulars. I was told they were all latex, but it turns out the 22mm are latex, and the 24mm butyl. That leaves me wondering which one I should mount on my Zipp Super 9? I intended to go with the 24, but I'm not sure the bigger size offsets the increase on Crr due to the butyl tube. So, I'm basically looking for some ST wisdom on this...
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Ironman tubular: 22 latex or 24 butyl on Super 9? [Bib02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure on the 22 being latex, as mine is most certainly not. And from speaking with our schwalbe rep he filled us in that they made a running change to butyl in all their tires.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Ironman tubular: 22 latex or 24 butyl on Super 9? [Stalkan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure, yes. I've tested the rate of loss of pressure on all of them. If they're butyl tubulars, they've got very porous tubes ;-)! I've heard the same thing about the new tubulars being all butyl. The 24mm is newer, hence the butyl tube. The 22's I got may have been from a previous stock, tough.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Ironman tubular: 22 latex or 24 butyl on Super 9? [Bib02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the answer is that the 22mm latex is a front tire. guard that thing with your life!

Rear tire can be any of the newer latex tubulars... perhaps Zipp's 27mm latex that rolls VERY well. Check Tom A's chart @ Bike Blather

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to echo what eric said re the rear: Zipp is a perfectly good option. If you *do* have a 22mm latex that's flat out one of the best front tires you could run. That said, I'd look for the schwalbe-gate thread on here and triple check re whether or not the tube is latex or butyl. Easy way is to mount it onto a rim (no need to glue it for this) and inflate it to ~100psi. Measure it after 3 days or so. If it's above 90 chances are it's butyl.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Ironman tubular: 22 latex or 24 butyl on Super 9? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you both, and I will probably go the Zipp Tangente route. Still, I don't know how much worse is the butyl compared to latex version...

About knowing which one is which, if you pump it to 30 psi without mounting it on anything and check it after one week, there's not much doubt left, even if you only check by hand. Schwalbe's butyl tubes retain pressure very well...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3-4w for butyl vs latex for one tube.
Quote Reply