Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

School me on Aero Suits in Non-Wetsuit IMs
Quote | Reply
How do you guys deal with wearing an Aero Tri Suit in a Non-Wetsuit Legal IM Swim?

I have been reading through a number of the Aero Tri Suit threads and considering picking one up for this fall, but I am trying to figure out the logistics behind sporting one in a non-wetsuit legal swim. How do you all go about sporting the sleeved aero suits over the course of an IM?

(A) Roll it down and wear it under a Speedsuit/Swimskin?
(B) Just swim with it rolled down?
(C) Rock the speedo and change into it in T1?
(D) Something else all together

Thanks for your insights!

-Nick
Quote Reply
Re: School me on Aero Suits in Non-Wetsuit IMs [SasquatchRuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: School me on Aero Suits in Non-Wetsuit IMs [lmar77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brilliant! Thanks. Dug through what I could find on ST and completely ignored the old YouTube machine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! Thanks so much for posting that.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on Aero Suits in Non-Wetsuit IMs [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for me i have found not as easy when its wet....my general guidelines are: sleeved = long bike i.e. 1/2 IM + or long transition (to allow me to run and get sleeves on while running) vs NO sleeves: shorter race i.e. sprint or olympic with a short transition.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: School me on Aero Suits in Non-Wetsuit IMs [SasquatchRuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done a search but couldn't find what I was after. In a similar question the the OP here, what are my options and pros/cons of each?

Specifically I've got a half coming up in a couple of months and I get the feeling the water temp will be touch and go for a wetsuit swim (it only just scraped under last year). I've just bought a new Scody AIR sleeved tri suit. Basically my options are:

1) Roll down the top of the Scody suit and tuck it into the shorts section of the suit and swim bare chested
2) Drop a couple of hundred $$ on a swim skin suit
3) I have an older 2XU long distance 2 piece sleeveless tri suit that I could use the top for. Roll down the Scody top and pull on the 2XU over the top

What are your thoughts on these options? I'll prob be finishing around 20th-30th in my AG I think, so not sure I can really justify the $$?
Quote Reply
Re: School me on Aero Suits in Non-Wetsuit IMs [mvogt46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I roll it down under swim skin. I tried it at a "C" race Olympic this last weekend that was NWS. It added looking at the T1 of others, about 30-40s to my transition time pulling it on. I probably recovered 15-20s of that in aero on the bike leg if I had to guess. Maybe another 10s from cooling and sun protection on the hot run leg.

However in an IM, where your running slower in transition and transition is longer, it will probably only cost you 10-15s if that. However, the sun protection alone is almost worth it for a hot race.

It also makes a custom suit stand out a little more and gives you more real estate for logos and graphics.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to see the video where he does it soaking wet and while actually running. That's a whole other ballgame.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: School me on Aero Suits in Non-Wetsuit IMs [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:
I want to see the video where he does it soaking wet and while actually running. That's a whole other ballgame.

For a longer race, doesn't wearing an aero suit under a swim skin cause more drag through the water, thus negating the overall benefit of the aero suit? Wouldn't it just be faster to change in transition?

I'm racing a half tomorrow and thinking of just putting it on in T1. What's the average benefit of a decent aero suit? Under a minute? Anyone have a link with this data?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool video and way to do it, but being wet, and having the top being wet, is completely different. MUCH harder because the suit doesn't 'slide' on dry skin. Still a cool video and process, but understand it won't go on quite as easily.
Quote Reply