Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

School Me on Track Riding
Quote | Reply
I know there are a few track cyclist on the forum. We are moving ~10 minutes away from the soon-to-open velodrome in Erie and I'm contemplating plunking down the $500 for a membership for 2X week track access (one session after work, on on the weekend), but have never ridden on a track before. My main motivation is to get off the roads in the interest of not getting killed by a car. The main concern I have is safety. Since having kids I only do cyclocross and hill climbs or really selective road races as the risks of a crit or flat road race is not worth it for me. It seems like a good match for the things I need to improve at (repeated anaerobic efforts, improved pedaling dynamics, top end power). Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: School Me on Track Riding [goldentech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you avoid crits for "safety" reasons, then I don't see why you're attracted to track racing. Basically it's a short crit, 4-5 times a night.

Anyway...

It'll definitely school you in tactics in a hurry, if you're weak there. Lots of interesting racing. My favorites were the miss-n-outs.

The track may have bikes to rent/borrow, and may also have a class (highly recommended if they do). Every one thinks fixed gear is so dangerous -- it isn't until ONE person gets on the track with a road bike.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: School Me on Track Riding [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My impression is that the level of experience/awareness for track cyclist is > than a crit cyclist and it is a more controlled environment. Also my understanding is that it is more of a slide vs crashing into a fence or curb at 30 MPH. There are season-long bike rentals available for nominal $. They require everyone to take a class and get certified. Almost crash I've witnessed in crit racing was caused by breaking too heavily and/or overreaction to slowdowns within the group, so the fixed gear thing is totally logical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pile-ups do happen on the track, and they can be spectacular (from the stands). Crossing wheels still causes crashes, just like always, and often a rider will move up the track a little too fast and not account for how quickly they slow down relative to those up track. Also, much harder to bunny-hop the downed riders on a fixie.

But yes, you're right about the riders being more hyper-aware. With lanes and sprint rules, you don't get the mosh-pit that some crit finishes can become.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the only real safety improvement is that there are no cars on tracks. There are still lots of opportunities for people to have a brain fart and cause a crash. Just because people don't have brakes doesn't mean they ride smooth. Lot's of crashes are slides like you say, but they can also be nasty like getting in a tangle high on a turn and landing flat on the apron below.

Track riding is awesome and I recommend it for almost anyone, but track racing isn't really for the squeamish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Several factors lead me to feel that track racing is safer and more fun than criterium racing...

1. A properly banked velodrome when ridden at speed is essentially an endlessly straight smooth concrete roadway. A criterium course usually consists of corners and turns with pavement variations and possibly debris. Advantage Track.

2. Track bikes have no brakes, only one gear and cannot coast and thus they very rarely slow down quickly. Criterium races require frequent slowing down and speeding up (braking and shifting). When racing on the track you can more or less trust that the rider in front of you much more than the the typical criterium racer. Advantage Track

3. You can race several different types races in a night at the velodrome - scratch, miss and out, points, mystery race, time trials, etc. Advantage Track

David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not clear if you plan to simply train on the track, or race. I did both road/crit and track racing back in the day, and can say that track racing is the most fun I've ever had on a bike, especially on a 250m wood-surfaced track. Take the class, rent a bike and give it a go.

I ended up selling my fixie for fairly cheap when it was clear my track days were over, so if you get serious about it you can always look for online deals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YES, plunk down and join.

Much safer training and racing.

No doubt it will make you a better cyclists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Safety wise, reducing your exposure to cars is the big advantage. I'm almost exclusively riding mtn bike for that reason, and I live in the same area where drivers are aware of cyclists. Otherwise, I seen and been in crashes on track/road/cx/mtn and I wouldn't say any is really safer or more dangerous than the other. Okay, maybe a hill climb... I started racing track as a kid back in PA and I remember seeing a crash where a rider went over the fence and landed on the steps of the grandstand (ended up with a broken collarbone).

The other benefit you get from the track is the frequency of racing and the fact that you'll be in contention most of the time. You learn how to race - get in position, timing effort. You just don't get that frequency of being able to win the race in the other disciplines. Nothing's worse than botching a sprint in a small breakaway because you just don't have experience. On the track you get to "see" that opportunity a few times a session.
Quote Reply
Re: School Me on Track Riding [mikerh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most track have an introduction to track racing program. Don't just get a bike and jump right in with the experience people, you will hurt them or yourself. At my local track, you can't even race without first taking the introduction course.

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes! $500 for yearly membership with access only twice-weekly is pretty high. Guess they need to pay for the 'drome some way.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: School Me on Track Riding [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well we are talking about Boulder here. Everything is not only better, you get pay more for it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
48 sessions is about $10 bucks a session, thats pretty good especially if you have group & motorpacing sessions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Golden

I rode it on Saturday, and the surface is very nice: Smooth and Steep. It will be worth the fee to get in, and if you pm me, I can put you in touch with a 'group' that is less than the $ 500 you quoted.

Doug and Frank have done an incredible amount of work to get it where it is. Believe me, I was worried that my investment was down the crapper. But despite the set-back, we are turning left!

Db
Quote Reply
Re: School Me on Track Riding [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sent you a PM, thanks and glad to hear your investment in the future of CO cycling paid off. Now all we need is several sectors of obscenely rough cobbles leading up to the track!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Golden

I think we have a rough, although short, section of road (cobbles) leading up to the track - they have not paved the road/driveway yet, and its in the middle of a field !

Let me look at the PM and hopefully we can get you on a club.

db
Quote Reply