Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

School Me on Power Meters
Quote | Reply
So I know there are a ton of threads on this already. But I'm seeing that some of the technology has potentially improved in the last year with regards to power balance between both legs as opposed to a lot of the single leg power data.

So question would be, which power meter is suggested at this point and why? I'm trying to ascertain if I can go a bit cheaper and buy a used or if new is the way to go. Also curious how tough the install is, like a LBS job or something I can do at home?

Thanks all.
Quote Reply
Re: School Me on Power Meters [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're looking for recommendations on what would be best for you, you'll need to provide some more information about the bike(s) that you want to get power data from, what bottom bracket, crankset, pedals, wheels you are using, and whether you would be willing to swap out those components.

I don't have a power meter yet, but from my research, I would most likely go with a Power2Max crank based PM, or maybe a Quarq, but that's what I think would work best for me. I really like my Speedplay pedals, so swapping them out for Garmin Vectors for example, is out of the question. Some people are really happy using wheels built with PowerTap hubs.

If you haven't already read it, I would start here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ide2014-edition.html
Last edited by: Pete Schiller: Jul 27, 15 18:24
Quote Reply
Re: School Me on Power Meters [Pete Schiller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pete Schiller wrote:
If you're looking for recommendations on what would be best for you, you'll need to provide some more information about the bike(s) that you want to get power data from, what bottom bracket, crankset, pedals, wheels you are using, and whether you would be willing to swap out those components.

Currently on a 2014 Blue Triad EX. Sram Force all the way around. Shimano Ultegra pedals. I really like the Shimano pedals a lot, although have to admit I've never tried Speedplays, but I digress. Wheels are 88mm Chinese Carbon Clinchers. Crankset is a Vision Trimax, not totally sure on length - 172.5 I think is standard on a 55 M/L? BB30.

I'd prefer not to have to have a wheel built with Power Tap unless that's the absolute best
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:
Currently on a 2014 Blue Triad EX. Sram Force all the way around. Shimano Ultegra pedals. I really like the Shimano pedals a lot, although have to admit I've never tried Speedplays, but I digress. Wheels are 88mm Chinese Carbon Clinchers. Crankset is a Vision Trimax, not totally sure on length - 172.5 I think is standard on a 55 M/L? BB30.

I'd prefer not to have to have a wheel built with Power Tap unless that's the absolute best
That should make it easier for others to chime in. You should read the DC RAINMAKER that I linked to. When you say you want "the best", SRM may still be considered to be the "gold-standard" (Ray's words) of power meters, but as Ray says, he can't justify spending that much money on a product that may not be any better than other spider-based PMs at this point.

If you feel that you need true left/right balance measurements, which you probably don't, then Garmin Vectors may be best for you. If you're comfortable doing an install yourself, then Power2Max is an excellent option. If you want to order something through your LBS and have them install it, then one of the Quarq options may make sense. I haven't looked into Stages or 4IIII, but they may be good solutions.

One of the things that I like about the spider-based PMs, is that I can affordably swap out my OEM cranks for shorter cranks, which is something I want to do. If you're happy with your 172.5 mm cranks, then maybe something like Stages would be more cost effective.

If you haven't read any books yet on the subject, maybe you should do that before purchasing a PM. I'm glad I read this: http://smile.amazon.com/...p;smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You didn't actually give us a price point.
Quote Reply
Re: School Me on Power Meters [soobrex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
soobrex1 wrote:
You didn't actually give us a price point.

Concerned more about value than price. If a 2013 Stan red quarq I'd not much diff than a brand bee one, then I'll pay the $1,000 for a 2013 rather than $2,200 brand new. But if the tech has changed or reliability or whatever then I'll shell out for brand new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the 2013 and newer quarqs are pretty much unchanged. Red went from 10 speed to 11 speed, but thats not important. 10 speed cranks work with 11 speed and vise versa.

I have a Riken on my road bike. It doesnt do the left/right balance that the Elsa, and Red, but its good enough for me. Mine has given me no issues the past 9 months even after a 12 hour rainy ride it still worked great.

If you need left right balance go with the Elsa or Red whichever is cheaper. Or SRM or Garmin or any other power meter with that feature.

If you don't care about left right balance measurements you can get a cheaper meter like the Riken or a left side only Garmin Vector or a stages power meter.

The stages Rival power meter is on sale right now for $399 left crankarm only or $450 complete crankset with rings. I just got one in the mail today for my cross bike. I havent had a chance to install it yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quarq Riken AL is the best value for a real pm. Stages Rival is a cheap estimate.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply