Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Scare Up Some Yards: Oct. Fish Challenge
Quote | Reply
Didn't see a thread yet... thanks for the title of the month's challenge, HalfSpeed!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Scare Up Some Yards: Oct. Fish Challenge [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't swim yesterday, but I did 2200 yds easy today, pretty much straight with some of it kicking.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't swim on the 1st bjt 4050 yards today. Best part was hitting < 1:30 fist drill 1
100s. (25 fist, 25 free, repeat)

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Scare Up Some Yards: Oct. Fish Challenge [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great drill.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for starting the thread!

October 1st - Did an 80' trainer ride with 20' @ hour pace and 2x5' (1' recovery) @ 30 min pace. Then, in the evening, 5300scy in the pool.

October 2nd - Got in 5000scy before class as:

600ez, 200 pull, 4x50 drill
Fins on 20x100 3 strong on 1:20 hold 1:13, 2 kick on 1:30
Fins off, 2x(20x25 strong buoy, 200 paddles, 200 lungbuster with paddles)
200bk cooldown

I've slacked off on swimming the past few weeks and I wasn't happy with my swim this past weekend. My swimming has felt like crap. My swim fitness dropped like a rock. I'm trying to get in 3x5k each week, that's about all school will give me if I want to have a strong ride/run as well! But it's still better than the 6-8k I was doing for the past month.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how does this monthly fish thing work? we just share our swimming mileage? swim stories? pool battles?

is this for the poor folks who have to do lane swims alone because they cant go to masters, and feel too lonely in the lane on own?
Quote Reply
Re: Scare Up Some Yards: Oct. Fish Challenge [viktorv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
how does this monthly fish thing work? we just share our swimming mileage? swim stories? pool battles?

You just post your workouts on the days you swim. THere's a link on the Challenges page in the training log, and that counts your yards for you, but the goal of the thread is just to post workouts. Then you can get ideas for sets, be motivated to swim, and so forth.

Quote:
is this for the poor folks who have to do lane swims alone because they cant go to masters, and feel too lonely in the lane on own?
Sure, but you can post workouts from your masters group too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figure this is probably the most useful place to ask this question with all the fishies:

I am doing my first 140.6 in 2 weeks (Oct. 17) and was signed up for a local 2.4 mile open water swim that was supposed to take place tomorrow morning. The plan was to use this as my long last swim/trial run/confidence boost before the big day, but due to the weather here on the east coast, the swim got rescheduled for next sunday (6 days before my big race).

As a newbie to the 140.6 should I skip out on the rescheduled swim or is that enough time to recover from 2.4 miles?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i see, thanks.. im following the swim smooth plan, in contrast to being in a masters group for the last few years, and it definitely quite different than being around masters groups
Last edited by: viktorv: Oct 2, 15 19:07
Quote Reply
Re: Scare Up Some Yards: Oct. Fish Challenge [msaad7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bear in mind that I may know swimming, but I don't have a sweet clue about ironman.

Do it. Well, I would anyway. There is plenty of time to recover, and swimming doesn't take as much of a toll as running.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Scare Up Some Yards: Oct. Fish Challenge [viktorv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are 2 parts. The monthly fish thread, which is basically a place for aquatic mammals to talk about stuff we've done that we want to share with the other aquatic mammals.

There is also the challenge, which TC talked about. That's just numbers, post your yardage whether in masters or not.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oct 1st swim - 600 w/u, 4*100 drill/swim
400 IM long on 6, 4*100 fly on 2 (1.20->1.24s), 50 ez on 1
400 IM long on 6, 4*100 bk on 1.45 (1.20s), 50 ez on 1
400 IM long on 6, 4*100 br on 1.45 (1.30s), 50 ez on 1
400 IM long on 6, 4*100 fr on 1.30 (1.10s or so), 50 ez on 1
200 cool down
4h mt bike ride
Quote Reply
Re: Scare Up Some Yards: Oct. Fish Challenge [msaad7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am doing my first 140.6 in 2 weeks (Oct. 17) and was signed up for a local 2.4 mile open water swim that was supposed to take place tomorrow morning. The plan was to use this as my long last swim/trial run/confidence boost before the big day, but due to the weather here on the east coast, the swim got rescheduled for next sunday (6 days before my big race).

As a newbie to the 140.6 should I skip out on the rescheduled swim or is that enough time to recover from 2.4 miles?

A week is definitely enough time. You recover from swimming rather quickly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got in the water last night after being out for almost a week, between illness and other commitments.

Fly focus in practice, 25's and 50's. Felt like I had forgotten how to swim. Ugh... Hopefully tonight is better.

2800m total...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Scare Up Some Yards: Oct. Fish Challenge [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been focusing heavily on an early catch for three weeks, wow what a difference. My times across the board have dropped significantly. Technique, go figure? 95% of my recent yardage has been strong side breathing so today I decided to throw in some weak side, holy cow my neck hurt and I felt like I was flopping around more than swimming. Just completely uncoordinated feeling.

w/u
500 build
200 kick w/ fins
3 x 100 fist drill
m/s
4 x 250 w/buoy (alt breath side by set, weak side felt like crap )
5 x 100 cruise effort
w/d
300 IM
200 kick with fins

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Scare Up Some Yards: Oct. Fish Challenge [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saturday: rode 35 mi
Sunday: ran 12 mi
today: ran 9.5 mi, swam 1500 yds

my SI joint is a bit out of whack so it was easy swimming.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the Search feature to find this thread & entered 'October'. Found nothing so started one. I'll copy/paste my doings so far this month & let the other die:

1st: 2000 scy in 37 mins - Just a chill session 2x500s 5x100 alt br/bk 10x50 various kicks. And then, a 10 mile 1000ft climb run 1:44
2nd: Spa day at 24hr Fitness as a guest - 3600 yards for 1 hr, 20 min sauna, 1 hour spin bike through Burgundy, France. Also ran 4.2 miles (not at spa)
3rd: 5889 yards open water swim at Oak Street - two loops
4th: 2541 yards open water swim at Shaw's Cove (windy, so rough swim) followed by a steep 6.1 mile run in Laguna Wilderness. Then in afternoon, 5.1 miles on Aliso Summit trail followed with another swim (pool) 1650 yards (3x500+150 cool)
5th: Back to the morning grind 6AM swims - 2000 yards - 1000s 12:38 5x100 various kicks 3x100IM 1:27/:24/:24 100s 1:06 100 s/k cool

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Last edited by: HalfSpeed: Oct 5, 15 9:32
Quote Reply
Re: Scare Up Some Yards: Oct. Fish Challenge [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you tell me how you are focusing on an early catch?

To join in here was my workout yesterday:
25meter pool
500 warm up - 200 free, focusing on long strokes, and bilateral breathing
3x100 (25 back, 25 fist drill, 25 breast, 25 free)

5 x 400meter. avg 7min with 1min rest.

500 cool down same as warm up.
Quote Reply
Re: Scare Up Some Yards: Oct. Fish Challenge [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mostly fist and catch up drills.

for fist drills I'm doing sets of 100 yards as 25 fist, 25 free, 25 fist, 25 free then :15 rest. I'm not pushing the effort too hard with fists, instead really focusing on reaching as far as I can without compromising body position then immediately bending the elbow and feeling the water catch on my forearm. When doing these correctly I'm hitting 100 times not too far off my last known best 100 time (1:20 and doing fist drills at 1:25/26)

Another thing I've been doing is a shoulder stretch a swim coach told me about, I think he called it the "elevens stretch" or something along those lines. From a standing position reach your hands straight up as far as you can, then bend only at the elbows while keeping you upper arm completely stationary. When I first tried it I felt very tight through the shoulder, but after doing the stretch a few times a day for a couple of weeks I feel nice and loose. I think the stretch has helped me develop the muscle memory to engage an early catch. Not to mention loosened up my shoulders so I don't feel the need to drop my elbow and try to muscle my way through the water.

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Scare Up Some Yards: Oct. Fish Challenge [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Can you tell me how you are focusing on an early catch?

fist drill, fist drill, fist drill

you can do some good variations like one hand normal, 1 hand fist, too.
I usually alternate 25s fist/swim, or do 150s as 50s/50dr/50s, or 100s as 25 R fist/ 25 L fist / 25 both fists / 25 swim

... 10.5 mi run and 1800 yd easy swim here.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
30x100 repeats. Did some kicking drills after 1000y and 2000y. Usually try to progressively increase the pace. Currently on swim/bike focus.
Quote Reply
Re: Scare Up Some Yards: Oct. Fish Challenge [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't posted since friday 10/2, been home for fall break for the past few days:

Saturday: 42 mile ride (2 hours) with a hard 30min segment, 6x4' big gear, and 15x(40sec sprint/20 sec ez)

Sunday: 11 miles on the roads in 75 minutes, built to running about 6min pace for last 3 miles, lifted weights later in the day for 35 minutes.

Monday: Morning swim at the Y, where the pool was 87 degrees. Gross. Honestly felt near death. Maybe an exaggeration...;) But it did ruin any semblance of quality:
400ez/400p/200k warmup
4x(50 kick, 100 drill, 50 swim) with fins, odds back, evens free
4x50 as 25 fist/25 perfect free
5x(2x200 buoy, 1x200 buoy/paddles) on 1:30 base, rest :30 between rounds for water, lower temp a little
total of 5000scy

Later on Monday I went for a very easy hour run (7 miles) with my dad and did some leg weights and drills.

Tuesday: 80 minutes on the trainer with 25x(1 minute hard, 1 minute easy), 20 min steady brick run (3 miles) + wind sprints

I head back to school today, so the brick is probably all I'll be able to squeeze in. Planning a swim and run tomorrow, bike/run Thursday, and swim/run/ weights on Friday.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Scare Up Some Yards: Oct. Fish Challenge [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had an outstanding lunchtime run yesterday - 4.5 miles at 7:36 pace. My best in ages!
This AM I opted to not swim and got to work. We have a gym and so I spun for 20 minutes on the recumbent bike - 1 min ez (100-120w) and 1 min hard (175-200w)
At lunch, I hit the sloshbucket for a 3050 (yeah one lap extra) straight swim in 42 minutes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2000 sc yardages this AM as:
4x[200s/50k] 2:32~2:17
1000IM (broken as necessary)
That's it.

Quote Reply
Re: Scare Up Some Yards: Oct. Fish Challenge [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your fast run the other day.

Today for me
8 mi run: 2.5 mi w/u, 6 x 800 @ 8.0, 8.2, 8.4, 8.6, 8.8, 9.0 mph w/ 400 recoveries @ 6.3 mph, 1.25 mi c/d
1900 yd swim: 2 x [200 swim + 200 kick + 200 swim + 200 pull band only] + 200 swim + 100 kick c/d

Quote Reply

Prev Next