Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sauna Vs. Steam Room, Heat Acclimation
Quote | Reply
Hey all, found a few threads that touch this topic but not quite the info I'm looking for. Wondering if anybody can come up with some science articles comparing the use of saunas vs. steam rooms for heat acclimation?

My intuition is that the sauna is better for the heat because of the higher temperature. Meanwhile, I suspect the steam room is better for humidity acclimation.

I ask because I have access to both, and while heat is a factor at most summer races, humidity seems more crippling. Sauna is 180 degrees with no humidity, steam room is about 120 with 100% humidity.

Thanks for your help!

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna Vs. Steam Room, Heat Acclimation [Timbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sauna

Read Lionel sanders blog , he did a fair bit of research

Key is to get into the sauna after exercise whilst your core body temp is already elevated

Add a humidifier into your indoor session and then get into the sauna

Also google Stephen Cheung , he has a chapter on heat stress in his book cycling science - you may find some comments from him on line

Cheers

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna Vs. Steam Room, Heat Acclimation [Timbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the information I found said sauna. I'll echo Steve that the protocol was typically 30-minutes right after exercise.

As an aside, I've always hoped that sauna heat acclimation would be definitively proven false because I find it to be agony!
Quote Reply