Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saucony Kinvara 5 Runshield
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
Has anyone tried this shoe for Ironman? I am wondering if the Runshield, which is a water resistant upper and no extra weight would help prevent the shoes from taking on water in hot, "water over the head" races?

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony Kinvara 5 Runshield [highflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not likely. Most of the water comes from running down your legs.

I drilled holes in my 5's. Ilk let got know how it works "in the field" after Sunday.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony Kinvara 5 Runshield [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Most of the pee comes from running down your legs.

Fixed it for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in it to hear about durability.

My A5's was a bit disappointing in this department.

**I think drilling holes is a good idea

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony Kinvara 5 Runshield [BigCheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't track my mileage very accurately on my current pair and I was rotation 4 or 5 shoes. But I think it's still only good for about 300mi max. Starts showing significant war as early as 200mi. Upper is fine, just midsole and outsole start showing their age. Pretty noticable different on new pair for my race Sunday and par with 250+ miles on them.

I don't think you can compare a Kinvara (light trainer, heavy race shoe) to a pure ultralite racing flat. The only think lighter than an A6 is a track spike or flat. Though wear on my A6's isn't bad after 2 70.3's, 1 1/2 mary, 1 olympic and 2 sprints, plus about 6 training miles. So around 60 miles or so. I figure I'll get 1 more season out of them, maybe 2 1/2 marys a couple sprints and a 70.3... so around another 60 or so and they'll be done.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony Kinvara 5 Runshield [BigCheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the durability thing - yeah, the K5's and A5's wear quickly. A6's are a little better. But if you wanted a shoe that feels similar to the K5, and has the same drop (4mm) for the longer training miles I'd suggest the Mirage. It's a great shoe to swap back and forth and add some durability.
On the drainage - drilling holes would work. Though, their Kona shoe MIGHT already have holes drilled. They put out more info tomorrow. Their 2012 Kona shoe had pre drilled holes. I'm not sure if this was a mass production for all of their Kona shoes, or just by request. I'm also not positive if they're doing this for 2014 - but can find out if you're interested. Really, pretty easy to do something similar yourself, though it might not look as clean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's no way they're adding water resistance without a breathability penalty, I wouldn't want it. As was pointed out, if there is enough rain to wet your shoes, there's enough rain to run down your legs and soak your socks.

Same thing with my hiking boots. I learned real fast that "waterproof" just means you stop and dump the water that has run inside and has no way of getting out. Without long waterproof pants or something, useless in rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony Kinvara 5 Runshield [T-Wurt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Racing in the south I drill holes in a few pairs of my shoes, the Kinvara and Virrata breath okay but in anything over a 10k they tend to not drain well. People can tell you are coming by the sloshing.
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony Kinvara 5 Runshield [PUTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PUTU wrote:
Racing in the south I drill holes in a few pairs of my shoes, the Kinvara and Virrata breath okay but in anything over a 10k they tend to not drain well. People can tell you are coming by the sloshing.

That's exactly why I drilled the holes. Seems to have worked so far.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony Kinvara 5 Runshield [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many holes did you go with and what size? Did you drill through the insole as well?

TeamRWB
Louisville Landsharks
follow me on Twitter @mlzervas
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony Kinvara 5 Runshield [mlzervas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Insole already has holes, so no need. I did maybe 8 or 9 the first time with probably a 1/8" bit. I went with a slightly larger this time with maybe 3/16" bit on my race shoes, but I think only 5 or 6 holes. Note: use an old pair of insoles to protect the upper.

Honestly I didn't check what size I used, I just grabbed one from a little bit full of parts and tools that I haven't gotten around to putting away.

I think i did 2 near the toe, just in front of the first "lugs". Then 2 more 1 row back than 1 or 2 at the 3rd row. You foot should try to press the water out as you roll across the forefoot before toe off.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply