Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Santa Paula, CA reserve police officer posts youtube video advocating hitting cyclists -- 8/5/14 UPDATE - Does she get it? new video in first post...
Quote | Reply
This is blowing up in So Cal. This (very annoying) woman posts something called Cup Holder Commentary. Trying to be a youtube star I guess..... Anyway, this particular one talks about running over cyclists. "How much to run over a cyclist?" "How much is in your wallet?" The last scene is particularly unnerving. She does not identify her affiliation, but she is in fact a Santa Paula reserve police officer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9H4xfya-OE

She's been placed on administrative leave. This needs to be permanent. Anyone that wants to comment to the police chief can do so on the Santa Paula Police Dept FB page, or smclean@spcity.org They've taken pretty swift action putting her on leave, but this needs to be permanent.

She has apologized saying it was a "mistake" but do we really want a peace officer on the road with this attitude? I have ridden these roads, I bet Rapp and many others here have as well.

And frankly, she deserves to be fired because she's so fucking annoying.

8/5 Some good may come out of this after all. Seth Davidson, a local cycling ummm cycling "advocate" some of you may know, and the LA County Bike Coalition met with Santa Paula's police chief to discuss ways to improve driver/rider relationships, and ncrease education and safety.

Then, turns out the woman that made the vid reached out to a cycling blog (http://bikinginla.com/) to talk to the blogger to get a better understanding as to the outcry her video produced. The result is below. Truly contrite or Damage control? maybe a little of both, but certainly a step in the right direction (although sadly some of the comments to this new vid reflect the same old "bikes don't belong on roads" crap, but little by little...) Also certainly a much better outcome than we usually see, which is people slinking off into the shadows. At least she had the guts to post it.

https://www.youtube.com/...Co6xakLj32SuV0cNkfDQ
Last edited by: ChrisM: Aug 5, 14 15:26
Quote Reply
Re: Santa Paula reserve police officer posts youtube video advocating hitting cyclists [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thankfully, being annoying isn't a crime. Yet…

She should be fired because she's unfit to serve as a police officer - even if it's just a reserve position.
Quote Reply
Re: Santa Paula, CA reserve police officer posts youtube video advocating hitting cyclists [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw this on the news tonight. Sadly, more reinforcement for me to stay off the roads and stick to the trainer.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Santa Paula, CA reserve police officer posts youtube video advocating hitting cyclists [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wow. I think I just killed more brain cells watching that then in all of my undergrad years ...

Quote | Reply
The clip is bad but I think some of the comments from people on the news feeds are worse.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Santa Paula, CA reserve police officer posts youtube video advocating hitting cyclists [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Respectfully Bob, what anonymous folks say on the net have nothing to do with a sworn police officer's advocation of violence against cyclists. The last scene is enough, a photo in which one cyclist was killed with the quote "you've thought about doing this..."

She needs firing. Badly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

She needs firing at.

ftf noone in particular

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We shall see if folks who enforce laws are held to a different standard.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Jul 20, 14 4:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post: Respectfully Bob, what anonymous folks say on the net have nothing to do with a sworn police officer's advocation of violence against cyclists. The last scene is enough, a photo in which one cyclist was killed with the quote "you've thought about doing this..."
--------
Chris,
I totally agree with you, she should be terurmanited from her job. I would hate to think she represents the attitude of police officers in general.
I was talking about any of the stories related to bike "accidents". Reading the comments shock me, not sure why. Look at some of the post about the shark deal...some people are idiots.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Santa Paula, CA reserve police officer posts youtube video advocating hitting cyclists [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some folks think they can do or say anything hiding behind their keyboards.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Santa Paula, CA reserve police officer posts youtube video advocating hitting cyclists [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

They can and do. We all do. It is what we do with it is what changes things.

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

They can and do. We all do. It is what we do with it is what changes things.

So true

Quote Reply
Re: Santa Paula, CA reserve police officer posts youtube video advocating hitting cyclists [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh great- we ride through there on the high road to Ojai. That is just so mean spirited and shocking.

Aren't officers supposed to serve and protect? Yikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I posted this to the chiefs post on FB, i think if others go there and express what you all have expressed in this thread, it would go a long way in making sure this woman does not get a badge with this kind of attitude. I know i personally do not want her in a position of power, especially when there is a car vs bike, or any bike incident in her area.. The top post on the page is he attempt at an apology, scroll down to the chiefs comment..

Mark Allan Montgomery Thanks chief for your quick action, as a retired fire dept/ avid cyclist who now resides in your area, i would hope that this leave becomes permanent. Of course she now begs for forgiveness, but the vitriol she exhibited was not some one off. I think after many years dealing with employees, you know that already. We had guys in our dept like this, and they never change. Best you nip this in the bud while it is still easy to do, otherwise it is going to come back and bite you and or your dept. A lot of eyes are on this and you now, do the right thing.
Like · Reply · 4 · 10 hours ago
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She is like a really shitty Jenna Marbles. This girl's tone, the jump cuts, and the whole bitchy attitude are just a low-production value, unfunny imitation. She makes the videos as if her opinions are actually worth anything, and as though she has millions of followers, but thankfully there aren't too many people out there that waste their time on her.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Santa Paula, CA reserve police officer posts youtube video advocating hitting cyclists [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you post a direct link to leave the chief a comment. Has not been easy to find.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Santa Paula, CA reserve police officer posts youtube video advocating hitting cyclists [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/SantaPaulaPoliceDepartment

Thanks, posted.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL, one of the posters stated they should make her a bike cop...

That would be pure awesomeness...
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Brekyn Khi [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: aftereffector: Jul 20, 14 9:31
Re: Santa Paula, CA reserve police officer posts youtube video advocating hitting cyclists [aftereffector] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aftereffector wrote:
Someone suggested that she be reassigned as a bike cop. I love the Internet!

edit: damn, d00d beat me to it.

Yep, I saw that post and just said wow. Now, there clearly are some folks out there that totally hate bikers.

I know yesterday when I was in traffic with my family, we had multiple times where motorcycles went zooming past
us between cars, and each time, family members made negative comments. All it would take is one not to seem
them coming so fast, start a lane change, and they are dead.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Can you post a direct link to leave the chief a comment. Has not been easy to find.

Actually I posted his direct email above , smclean@spcity.org. There's a lot of noise on the FB page, not sure he sees that. I know the email is good, I sent him the video and he responded immediately.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jul 20, 14 10:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I posted this to the chiefs post on FB, i think if others go there and express what you all have expressed in this thread, it would go a long way in making sure this woman does not get a badge with this kind of attitude. I know i personally do not want her in a position of power, especially when there is a car vs bike, or any bike incident in her area.. The top post on the page is he attempt at an apology, scroll down to the chiefs comment..

Mark Allan Montgomery Thanks chief for your quick action, as a retired fire dept/ avid cyclist who now resides in your area, i would hope that this leave becomes permanent. Of course she now begs for forgiveness, but the vitriol she exhibited was not some one off. I think after many years dealing with employees, you know that already. We had guys in our dept like this, and they never change. Best you nip this in the bud while it is still easy to do, otherwise it is going to come back and bite you and or your dept. A lot of eyes are on this and you now, do the right thing.
Like · Reply · 4 · 10 hours ago

Good post Monty, but you should send it directly to him at his email smclean@spcity.org. I've been communicating with him that she needs to be dismissed. I think a direct email may
put more pressure, not sure what he sees on FB as there is a lot of noise there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes sense.

You getting any feeling on what the chief might do?

I am just amazed how so many think they can do or say anything on social media and not have it impact them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Makes sense.

You getting any feeling on what the chief might do?

I am just amazed how so many think they can do or say anything on social media and not have it impact them.

You've seen the facebook page, the dept is getting hammered over this. She's a volunteer reserve officer. No union to deal with. I am sure he wants this to blow over, but the cycling community can b like a dog with a bone. I can't imagine he has any vested interest in continuing a volunteer officer's employment. Cut her loose, end the shitstorm.
Quote Reply

Prev Next