Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sandbaggers
Quote | Reply
Calling all superstuds and studettes!

Can somebody explain to me why all you superstars who swim 1:20/100, who average 26 mph on the bike, and then run a sub-18 5K feel the need to slum it in local, small time sprint triathlons? Is it for the $50 REI gift card? Or, do you feel badass when you crush 150 couch potatoes who are just trying to survive?

At the tri I watched today, there was an "Elite" wave, which I interpreted as all the fast performers (silly me), and this person who competed at the 2013 ITU Champs went off with the age groupers and then proceeded to finish third OA. Why not race with the other studs?

Or is it all this "A" race, "B" race, "C" race awesomeness I don't understand?

Me, I'm an accomplished runner who has won the local 75-person 4th of July 5K. After that, I stopped doing that race and searched out races where I'd be challenged. Sometimes it's better to finish 30th in a tough field than to dominate people who are such bad swimmers they are afraid to sit in a bathtub. Don't you actually want a race? Or do you like paying $100 to get in a "tough" training session?

By the way, you look like a tool showing up at a small-time triathlon with your big-time gear. I'm implementing the following rule: If your gear (wetsuit, helmet, wheelset, computer, etc.) cost more than the number of participants times the entry fee, you are banned from participating in the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Sandbaggers [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uhhh. I guess he beat you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have seen a few very top racers do things like this. I guess they get their kicks, but boy do they get talked about behind their backs and it is not very positive. I will never forget them also.
Luckily, I have run into very few like this.

Technically, they can do what they want, but I agree with you. I no longer do a number of local races in my area since where is the fun winning my AG all the time. Would much rather let
others feel great and I just help at the races instead.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why wouldn't they do local races? Why shouldn't they?

No idea about the 2013 ITU guy not going with the fast wave.

Why does it bother you?

Way back in the day, before he won the TDF, Greg LeMond did local races. My Dad has stories of there being races at Tahoe or whatever. Or TT's in the desert, far enough out for no traffic. Greg LeMond would ride to the race, win, and ride home. That doesn't take anything away from my Dad setting a PR that day or whatever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you might need to train more or Htfu

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Calling all superstuds and studettes!

...this person who competed at the 2013 ITU Champs went off with the age groupers and then proceeded to finish third OA....

I can't decide if you're troll-bait for the trolliest trolls like H2Ofun, or if you have no idea what you're talking about.

Either way, I think it takes someone with a massive and deliberate dearth of imagination to not be able to invent a reason (last second sign-up, racing in a town with family members, trying to get a different sort of bike experience while working through the slower waves, sponsorship obligations etc...) why someone who is fast might end up competing in the age-group wave.

My prediction is that your best trolling and troll-baiting is yet to come.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So just because you are fast means you shouldn't do races that are fun/close to home/etc?

Noted, thanks for the advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Sandbaggers [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rover24 wrote:

Reading comprehension time..."I watched..."

"Watch", verb, "to look at or observe attentively, typically over a period of time"

Look, I don't make these definitions up, but unfortunately words have meanings and I use them appropriately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Rover24 wrote:

Reading comprehension time..."I watched..."

"Watch", verb, "to look at or observe attentively, typically over a period of time"

Look, I don't make these definitions up, but unfortunately words have meanings and I use them appropriately.

Missed it, I was blinded by the whining.
It makes the thread even more strange, OP is mad that someone he watched was faster?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some local races are fun. Why not show up and enjoy them? If you're showing up, why not bring your toys?

Seriously, you'd be pissed off all the time in Austin.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll save some of you time in responding.

I will never win a race. I will never win my age group. I am fine with that. Triathlon is a hobby to me. I try my best, but I am a slow swimmer. I am working on getting faster. However, in every race I do, it is rare that anyone who finishes above me has a slower swim split. I get some of it back to the bike and even more back on the run. But, I just can't overcome how slow I swim.

One more time, that is OK with me. Don't feel bad for me because I get self worth from other things in my life like my family and volunteerism.

The question remains: If you are so scary fast, why race in a soft field?
Quote Reply
Re: Sandbaggers [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
Some local races are fun. Why not show up and enjoy them? If you're showing up, why not bring your toys?

Seriously, you'd be pissed off all the time in Austin.

Fair enough. I'll buy that.
Quote Reply
Re: Sandbaggers [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rover24 wrote:
It makes the thread even more strange, OP is mad that someone he watched was faster?

even stranger: someone went to a triathlon to just watch? ( i mean, he could have had more fun sorting his sock drawer)

oh, the outrage today: people grabbing pasta spoons, fast people doing local races. What will it be next?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uh ... maybe for training, maybe for fun, maybe could not get there for the elite start, maybe wanted to see a person on the course, who knows, but more importantly who cares? worry about something else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't even understand the problem. I love watching skilled people practice their trade. I'm not even sure why it would be a negative that fast people showed up to a race.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Sandbaggers [WILLEATFORFOOD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's more detail for those who can't bring themselves to answer the question and would rather try to figure out my motives.

I volunteered at the local race and had friends who participated in the race. While that may seem odd to some of you, I thought it was a pretty reasonable way to spend a day.

I just thought it was pretty lame to see the winner packing up gear (with 80% of the field still on the course) and riding out of transition while telling people he was going to workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never mind. Sorry I asked.

I'm off to watch the Yankees play their farm-team affiliate and to see Michael Phelps race the local YMCA masters swimmers. I hope he laps them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Here's more detail for those who can't bring themselves to answer the question and would rather try to figure out my motives.

I volunteered at the local race and had friends who participated in the race. While that may seem odd to some of you, I thought it was a pretty reasonable way to spend a day.

I just thought it was pretty lame to see the winner packing up gear (with 80% of the field still on the course) and riding out of transition while telling people he was going to workout.

I agree, but you will get very little vocal support on ST.

These folks have to live with themselves. Makes you wonder what else in life these play these games at?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe we can do away with keeping time at these races and give everybody a blue ribbon when they cross the finish line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
I will never win a race. I will never win my age group. I am fine with that.

You say you are a fast runner, then why not just do duathlons? No swimming and lots of running. Seems you'd be ideal for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:

Sounds more like an error of race organization on that note, then. As much of a pain in the ass as it can be to have to wait to get your stuff, it does preserve some element of dignity.

That said, the best way to practice racing is to race. There's no way you're going to properly simulate transitions, swimming in a group, riding in full race setup, etc in training. I don't really see how it's possible unless you have a lake with a boat ramp in your backyard that leads to super-rural roads, and you invite 10-15 of your friends of similar ability.
Hell, the local sprint I did yesterday had a local pro win it, beating the rest of the field by over 3 minutes. He and I both went out and went on an extended cool down run as well, to build a little bit of mileage. I went and rode another 2 hrs when I got home, and I'm pretty sure he said he had a swim later in the day as well.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Sandbaggers [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
DJRed wrote:
I will never win a race. I will never win my age group. I am fine with that.

You say you are a fast runner, then why not just do duathlons? No swimming and lots of running. Seems you'd be ideal for that.

I'm in the same boat as him,I swim for the variety. Carpal tunnel has taken away my other hobbies(video games&playing instruments), so the more varied workouts I can get in, the more entertained I am.

Besides, my family all tease each other. I'm sufficiently awesome that if I didn't throw them a bone with my pathetic swimming, they'd have nothing to rag on me with. Just doing duathlon would be rude of me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:(
Quote Reply
Re: Sandbaggers [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During a MTB race I raced the 'sport' class and technically won. I knew I was going to win so I stopped at the finish line but never went past it. I just told them DNF me. I was riding in that class due to an bad illness. There was no way I could do twice as many laps (Expert/Elites) but I had already paid. When I got back to my car I puked and then fell asleep in my car.

If I was a pro at a local triathlon and smoked the field, I would DQ myself, but that's just how I would handle it. Tough balance for the pro's. They want to support the locals but don't want to beat up on the locals.

Prev Next